Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It's funny how some people want a lot of adjustments, and others seem to ignore good models that do.

January 19, 2021 08:09PM avatar
So many EQ-800 users out there that you go on almost any forum and talk about another Minelab model, like the vanquish series, or any other brand and model and you read a lot of negative comments about such-and-such a model doesn't have the adjustments of the '800.' And I know there are a lot of models, popular-use models, that don't offer some adjustments that many people think they might, such as Ground Balance in their Discriminate modes.

Then I look at the models I have listed For Sale on the Buy / Sell / Trade site and it's funny how the 'basic', non-display, non-Tone ID Tesoro Bandido II ┬ÁMAX, with 1 coil, has more views than several others that have extra coils and both Target ID and Tone ID. Then the best deal I have listed, the Fisher F5 w/4 search coils, almost goes unnoticed, and it is the most adjustable of all the detectors I listed this past week and to include all the current models now with photos. Other than the Bandido II ┬ÁMAX, it is the only model that allows the user to adjust the Ground Balance when in the motion-based Discriminate mode. I was doing well for a while with the Omega 8000's I had that I bought when I had planned to buy an F5. Sadly I didn't, This unit is brand new, but it is easy to see the permanence potential and the functional control adjustments.

But because it isn't "modern" many seem to be reluctant to invest in a proven performer ... even with a 4-coil package! I've lost a lot of $$$ on the detectors I bought so far, and with the prices I have I am losing a lot more just to trim down what I have around to only the detectors I am going to use. And that's the other thing that is surprising me, at how there seems to be a lot of quietness and low activity on any of the Classified Forum sites, not just AHRPS. Good prices, but low interest or response. Not just my listings, either, as others seem to be getting little response.

OregonGregg has a Vanquish 540 listed, and with the ML-80 headphones for a very competitive low price. I thought about listing my V-540, but I'll use it from time-to-time and kept it around as a 'loaner-unit' for friends and family since it is very easy to learn and use, yet works well. I sold the brand new Teknetics T2+ to a local who lives down the road, but he bought it only with the 5" DD coil because he wants it for gold nugget hunting. Still waiting interest are the Tek. Omega-8500 w/2 coils, and the Fisher F5 w/4 coils, and both at very low prices. Both new and never taken outside, so that gets me wondering if some of the 'problem' is that there is simply a reduced amount of interest in the FTP products, or it is something else?

I know I was waiting for someone to bring out a new and competitive models in the mid-price range, and I kind of thought we'd see that from Bounty Hunter, Teknetics and Fisher, but we didn't. Instead, Garrett brought us something new and different, and it just happened to be a model that really impressed me for what it features and how it performs for the dollar invested. Then I used it along with my Simplex + and Vanquish 540 and realized the new Apex was just the model I have been hoping to see .... and it came from Garrett. Nothing new and different or progressive out of FTP, just the routine behavior and that leaves me wondering what's going on there.

I don't think we can blame the Covid-19 issue for some of the limited interest in detectors at terrific prices. Just not sure what it is. Oh well, we'll all keep a watch and see as we get closer to spring-time weather and see if anything changes as we get ready to head back out detecting.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2021 03:19AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

It's funny how some people want a lot of adjustments, and others seem to ignore good models that do.

Monte 165 January 19, 2021 08:09PM

What the heck lol

OregonGregg 189 January 20, 2021 09:51AM

Re: What the heck lol 3 loaners?

Kickindirt 102 January 23, 2021 07:38PM

Re: What the heck lol 3 loaners?

OregonGregg 104 January 24, 2021 11:08AM

Re: What the heck lol

jmaryt 114 January 20, 2021 06:16PM

The Tesoro's, the Apex's, the Simplex +, the V-540 and me.

Monte 208 January 20, 2021 01:19PM

What DO people want . . . . ???

UtahRich 165 January 23, 2021 12:49AM

Re: What DO people want . . . . ???

jmaryt 108 February 03, 2021 12:13AM

Re: What DO people want . . . . ???

jmaryt 103 January 24, 2021 01:05AM

I have had more phone calls and e-mails regarding

Monte 132 January 23, 2021 07:00AM

Re: I have had more phone calls and e-mails regarding

jmaryt 114 January 24, 2021 01:07AM

It looks just like mine ... I pamper my gear. N/T

Monte 84 January 24, 2021 11:23AM

Re: What the heck lol

D&P-OR 116 January 20, 2021 12:33PM

Rolling Stones

OregonGregg 118 January 20, 2021 02:34PM

Re: Rolling Stones

D&P-OR 104 January 20, 2021 03:13PM

Re: Rolling Stones

jmaryt 111 January 20, 2021 06:30PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021