Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The T2+, search coils, and my thoughts in general.

April 29, 2021 07:28AM avatar
First to the T2+. I have owned all of the Teknetics T2 series models from their original release T2 in 2006 to the present with the T2+ the latest, and also my favorite of them all. I like it the best because it:

• is in the 'original-green' which I prefer to the black rods.

• has DST built-in and always On which I favor because I like to have no need it to be switch On or Off function.

• has the 'bp' or 'Boost Process' function I like for more sparse-target open areas to work slowly for improved depth.

Second, the available search coils. I've never liked the looks of the standard 11" BiAxial (nifty lingo for Double-D) and have always parted with that coil or left it in my Accessory Coil Tote. Because I have spent the majority of my detecting time in trashy to very-trashy sites since '68, I prefer a smaller-size search coil, or in modestly-littered sites a mid-size coil, so the Teknetics 5" DD has been the #1 coil for me on every T2 I have owned. I always kept one mounted full-time because from 2006 until January of 2015, the T2 w/5" DD was my #1 Iron contaminated ghost town favorite with visual and audio Target ID.

The struggle for me was finding a good mid-size coil for the T2, like many other makes and models. To ME, a mid-size coil could be a round-shaped 7" or 8",Concentric type, or an elliptical Double-D such as a 5X8 or 5X9½. Twice I tried the Teknetics 10" elliptical and didn't like it. The rod-mount position could have been closer to center for a better balance; I like an open-frame coil and not a solid-body design if over 6"; to me that coil had a heavy feel on the excellent T2 configuration; and while I bought two and didn't keep them around long at all. One was returned because it didn't work well. Terrible would be a good word to fit in there. And the other for all the other reasons.

I had tried a comparable-size 5X9½ open-frame DD from NEL, the 'Sharpshooter', and it looked better, felt better with a good rod-mount position, and importantly, it worked better than the 10" elliptical Teknetics coil. Still, it was the 5" DD I kept mounted full-time, and if I ever get a T2 + again, it will definitely have the 5" acquired with it for 'regular duty'.

Larger-size search coils. Something I very, very seldom use. I have just concentrated on trashier sites with a lot of dense brush and building rubble to have any serious need for bigger coils. I do have one 'standard' or 'bigger', to me, coil mounted in my current Detector Outfit of 7 detectors. I have a Nokta FORS CoRe w/5" DD and Simplex + w/mid-size 5X9½ DD. Two favorite Tesoro's that each have a 6" Concentric mounted. Then I have three Garrett Apex devices with a 'Ripper' 5X8 DD on my main-use unit, a NEL 5" DD on my 2nd unit, and finally the 'Raider' 8½X11 DD on my 3rd Apex. That's one of Garrett's 'standard' size coils for some models and, for me, it IS my bigger-size coil for a beach, plowed field, or wide-open / sparse-target search.

So, what about a larger-size coil for a T2? Just before I sold my new T2+ at the start of the year I had purchased a brand new NEL 'Super-Fly' to check it out and do some comparisons with the 11" BiAxial. I never used it outside, just connected it to do some indoor bench-tests because it was a cold wintry season. The Super-Fly is their newest coil and is an 11X12 size, so not overly large, and it has to be one of the nicest, lightest-weight coils close to that size you could imagine. Amazingly light-weight!

I still have it, new-in-the-box, if you or anyone if looking for a terrific T2 series coil. It cost me $179 and I'll sell it for $150, and it is more comfortable than the original standard T2 coil.

And finally, my thoughts about the T2's, with emphasis that the '+' is my favorite version in the series. FTP can work on any new land-based detector design they want, for any mid-priced or higher price range model, but in doing so they shouldn't forget to use what might be the best physical package design, ever, of the T2 / F75 detectors. It's hard to find fault with anything about the T2's design and simple / easy one knob & one button adjustment.

I owned a lot of T2's through the years because I liked what they could do with the 5" DD coil, and I especially favored the 2+ and 3 and bP Tone ID functions for different areas. I didn't care for any of the other Tone ID functions, and usually had Disc. at '10' and Sensitivity as high as possible w/o instability. I think you bought one of the better detectors out there, as long as it fits you hunt needs.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Impact .. Inca .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX .. MX-5
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

new T2+ arrived yesterday

desertsmith 210 April 28, 2021 07:46PM

Re: new T2+ arrived yesterday

Kickindirt 308 April 29, 2021 11:55PM

The T2+, search coils, and my thoughts in general.

Monte 181 April 29, 2021 07:28AM

Re: The T2+, search coils, and my thoughts in general.

desertsmith 144 April 29, 2021 08:18PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021