Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fisher and Teknetics websites. confused smileyconfused smiley

January 17, 2022 10:00PM avatar
Does leave me wondering how things are going with FTP. Nothing new and exciting has been brought out recently or announced, and the Fisher website is really pretty dead. Most of the detectors are no longer made.

But when I took a look at the Teknetics website today I noticed that they still show most of the models as being available in their lineup.

I didn't check any of the Bounty Hunter brand because I don't keep up on their model line. Most of us who've been at this for a while have generally regarded Bounty Hunter as being the mass-market product from FTP, but I do know there are quite a few people who are using some of the modern upper-end detectors who will slip in a comment now and then that they maybe had a Tracker or some other BH model that they used to get started in this hobby.

Visiting perhaps 5 or 6 forums this weekend to do some reading the other thing that caught my attention was how many people made a comment that they were a Fisher or Teknetics fan but they never talk about them on the forums, they just say they are a fan but they don't say any more than that. Usually when they make that comment about liking their Teknetics or Fisher they do add that they have found a lot of coins with them and that they are mainly coin hunters.

It made me think back of my experiences from when I got my first Fisher TR back in back in '72 and then through the ages since then I have had some FTP products at times, and a couple I did use for some Relic Hunting in areas that were not too highly littered with iron, but most of the time they served me well for Coin Hunting urban sites.

Looking at a lot of the forums it does seem like more of the participating people seem to be interested in Relic Hunting type sites more than Coin Hunting like we used to do a lot. And that leaves me wondering if that's why FTP isn't talked about as much. Maybe it's because more people who have been using their products are mainly city based Coin Hunters?

Naturally, for those of us here in the USA, we only have a few coins and they all are of a fairly consistent metal makeup therefore it seems like Target ID accuracy is most important for those here in the USA. No, not for all of us, but probably for a lot of the average hobbyists who get into metal detecting here.

A bulk of the videos that I watch from foreign countries is where they have had a lot longer existence and a wide variety of coins of very different sizes and shapes and metal makeup. There is no detector made that has a Target ID display that can efficiently cover the wide range of coins from all the different countries as well as the varying ground mineral conditions they are in. Therefore you notice that most of the time they're using little or no Discrimination and simply covering an area and listening to the audio report from everything.

If you brought most of those foreign folks over who we see out detecting plowed fields and pasture land, I don't think they would get along well trying to Coin Hunt our parks and schools with all the modern litter. But I do think some of them could end up doing quite well if they were hitting some of the Relic Hunting sites we enjoy.

And then, if we follow that trend of thought and think that they might do better working some of our old, out of the way remote locations, we might wonder if the detectors and coils they're using might be the same that we should consider using?

Just some pondering. thinking It did spark my thoughts again on some of those products they offer at FTP.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now 'back home' in Farr West Utah
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my chosen makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
F75+ w/3½X6 .. Racer w/4.7X5.2 .. FORS Relic w/5" .. Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" .. Bandido II µMAX w/6"
Vanquish 540 w/5X8 .. Racer 2 w/5X9½ .. F19 w/5X10 .. Vista X (coming)
Pinpointers: Garrett AT Pro-Pointers .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2022 09:03PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Fisher and Teknetics websites. confused smileyconfused smiley

Monte 625 January 17, 2022 10:00PM

Did some re-thinking. Two FTP units were on my 'want list'.

Monte 201 February 07, 2022 01:49PM

Patriot, 5" DD, 6 1/2" and 10" elliptical Concrntrics acquired. Now ...

Monte 163 February 11, 2022 12:40PM

Re: Fisher and Teknetics websites. confused smileyconfused smiley

Harold,ILL. 208 January 18, 2022 12:15PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20