Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My only aftermarket coil might see some Outing use.

July 31, 2022 10:04AM avatar
I am trying to get my health, mobility and strength back in time for the WTHO so I can get around with a cane for a little hunting. Almost all my detectors are equipped with a smaller-size coil but I do have an Apex and F-19 Ltd. with a mid-size coil for modest trash areas. Those are also known as the 'fringe' or 'outer edge' areas c of the old townsites.

And if I get the chance and am able I want to try the aftermarket mid-size coil I have for my F-75+. It is the MGC (Magic) 5X8 DD. A solud-body design that is thick and a bit heavyish. However, the rod-mount is centered so it handles and balances well even if a wee bit heavy, and the coil cable is thick and sturdy.

I used it a little after I got it at my home in Texas and was impressed with how quiet it and the detector were by power lines and a transformer but no EMI at almost full Sensitivity (95). I only worked a 6X12 dug-up parking strip but it worked well. Time for a longer-use evaluation.

Most who know me also know that I am usually not a big fan of aftermarket coils and favor those from a detector manufacturer. This time is a rare event.

I do have a couple of areas I would like to work it on the Outing. I do wish it was an open-frame 5X8 like the Ripper coil on my Apex but I'll get by with it as it is. Very few coils from non-detector makers impress me like the NEL Snake coil on a Racer or Racer 2 has, or their Sharpshooier on almost any detector I have tried it on.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now 'back home' in Farr West Utah
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my chosen makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
F75+ w/3½X6 .. Racer w/4.7X5.2 .. FORS Relic w/5" .. Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" .. Bandido II µMAX w/6"
Vanquish 540 w/5X8 .. Racer 2 w/5X9½ .. F19 w/5X10 .. Vista X (coming)
Pinpointers: Garrett AT Pro-Pointers .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

My only aftermarket coil might see some Outing use.

Monte 175 July 31, 2022 10:04AM

Re: My only aftermarket coil might see some Outing use.

ScoTTT2 103 July 31, 2022 01:42PM

Re: My only aftermarket coil might see some Outing use.

kac 117 August 01, 2022 07:05PM

The Snake and the Shrew .. thinking thinking5

Monte 112 July 31, 2022 08:31PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16