Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hummm, that "multi-frequency" topic was sure to come up. confused smiley

August 21, 2018 12:28PM avatar
jmaryt
hi monte!
i would like to see first texas circumvent minelab's patents and produce a unit capable of transmitting "multi-frequencies"
into the ground!.i believe they can get around those patents and "bust" onto the scene with such a product!..i also extend this challenge
to other manufacturers as well.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
J.T., I knew someone would touch on this subject soon, and it is a topic that can definitely spark a lot of conversation, to be sure. Fisher Labs, now part of First Texas Products, had a "multi-frequency" model in the CZ series, starting with the CZ6, and that was at least 25 years ago. It was a 2-frequency operation, but even that leaves some things to figure out.

Some manufacturers of 'multi-frequency' detectors, that are supposed to work simultaneously, make claims about how many frequencies are supposed to be transmitting at the same time. Not all claims are quite correct.

Then that's just the transmitting part and you have to get into how many frequencies are at work receiving and processing the signal. There is a difference, and we don't always get the straight scoop from the manufacturers. And you have to wonder, too, because David Johnson was the lead engineer at the old FRL and he designed the dual-frequency CZ series. After leaving Fisher he designed two models for Tesoro, then on to White's to engineer the GMT, MXT and he also helped with work on their then-new multi-frequency DFX.

Then on to FTP, and even though he is a very talented and knowledgeable design engineer, and worked up a 'multi-frequency' line before, we haven't seen anything in the way of a 'multi-frequency' offering out of First Texas for Fisher or Teknetics.

I have owned and used several CZ, especially the CZ5, and I have also owned and used at least 4 Minelab BBS Sovereigns and 6 or 7 of the FBS models, plus 4 White's DFX's and 1 each of the VX3 and V3i. To be honest, except for a few enjoyable times with a CZ-5, I haven't been all that thrilled with the rest of them. The Minelab's yes, kind of, except for their terrible weight and balance issue, they did work for some selective hunting such as urban parks and schools in older era neighborhoods where higher-conductive silver coins were my main focus. But for the types of sites I hunt the most, which are heavily littered with a lot of iron and rusty tin, they don't cut it.

There are models that offer a multi-frequency 'choice' that let you pick one of what they offer, such as the Nokta Impact or the newer Makro Multi-Kruzer, each offering three frequencies to select from. Personally, I have found those models to work quite well and they generally can 'hold-their-own' against most simultaneous functioning competitors.

In a way I wouldn't mind seeing a modern multi-frequency model from Fisher and/or Teknetics, and I know I would get one in hand to evaluate. But it would take a lot to sway me from the makes and models of very proven performance that make up my current 'Detector Team' especially if they would be able to handle the very tough iron contaminated sites I frequent.

It will be interesting to see what all the major detector manufacturers will come out with by next spring (referring to springtime here in the USA) when we kind of kick-off the start of our post-winter detecting season.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Nokta-Makro:(3), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(4), White's:(1), XP:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Anybody have a guess of what mid-to-upper end model we might see next from Fisher or Teknetics?

Monte 287 August 21, 2018 05:56AM

Re: Anybody have a guess of what mid-to-upper end model we might see next from Fisher or Teknetics?

Druid 174 October 20, 2018 09:12AM

Re: Anybody have a guess of what mid-to-upper end model we might see next from Fisher or Teknetics?

mxt sniper 174 October 20, 2018 12:07PM

jmaryt 217 August 21, 2018 09:57AM

Hummm, that "multi-frequency" topic was sure to come up. confused smiley

Monte 248 August 21, 2018 12:28PM

Re: Hummm, that "multi-frequency" topic was sure to come up. confused smiley

jmaryt 199 August 21, 2018 09:48PM

mxt sniper 216 August 22, 2018 03:35PM

jmaryt 212 August 22, 2018 04:53PM

Patents - What does Fisher have out there - Manta

UtahRich 217 August 23, 2018 09:11PM

Re: Patents - What does Fisher have out there - Manta

jmaryt 217 August 23, 2018 11:36PM

Manta

UtahRich 217 August 24, 2018 10:18PM

Re: Manta

D&P-OR 212 August 25, 2018 06:05AM

Re: Manta

UtahRich 194 August 25, 2018 10:57AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018