Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Interesting to watch the industry" ... How true and I've been doing it a long time.

November 13, 2018 07:58AM avatar
One reason Findmall was such a favorite about Minelab is that Gary was, and I'm pretty sure still is, a Minelab user and fan. His Forums have been interesting in several ways, and one is that many of them see very little activity. Another is that you can sometimes see the same person make the same post cut-and-pasted on two or more forums. And a third thing is the over-moderation where posts get moved to a different forum or simply deleted. A fourth thing we see that is an annoying policy is to be allowed only one detector to be posted on the Classifieds at a time, and a 90 day wait until you can list one again (unless you're a supporting dealer).

I know that sometimes I can be cruising through the vast array of Forums and make a reply post, but not be able to find it later because there are too many Forums to post on. The same way over at Friendly Metal Detecting Forum-sssss. Besides, one thing they have more of than here on the AHRPS Forums is oddballs and trouble causers.

Monitoring what goes on in the metal Detecting Industry has been interesting, and I've been monitoring by fallowing manufacturer's ads in magazines and other publications, observing local Detector Dealers all over the country in my travels to see how and which brands they promoted and noting their marketing techniques. By visiting Metal Detecting Clubs, to include monthly meetings, outings and annual Competition Hunts, and also attending bigger events such as large, regional Outdoor Sportsman's Shows or smaller-scale Outdoor Events and Shows or those dedicated to Gold Prospecting and Metal Detecting.

I've attended many detecting clubs in several western US states as well as Outdoor or specialty events since 1971, and for about 15+ years they had a lot of dealers or detector manufacturers who were involved with booths and presentations. Then from about the latter '80s for almost another decade I still tried to read about and visit clubs and outdoor shows that were not a specific prospecting/detecting type event, and observed a slow but steady decline in the number of 'local' Dealers, a decline in metal detecting club activities such as competition hunts or outings, and we also could see the many hobby related magazines go under or dwindle, no longer being found in many stores or magazine shops.

We have, however, seen the start of Internet Forums in about the mid-'90s and since then a very steady growth in Internet websites and forums and dealers offering big discounts, while the number of local dealers is about gone. I am referring to here in the USA where we have also seen a big percentage of the detecting clubs fold up. And we very seldom see anyone out metal detecting as we are driving about like we used to in the '70s and '80s.

I think back to when I was hired to work at Compass Electronics in July of '87 and Ron Mack, one of the founders and the company President, told me that times are tough and that the detector industry pretty much peaked from '83 to '86, and that many manufacturers had and were going out of business. He figured there would only be a few who might be able to hang on and keep some interest in the hobby in the future, but we kind of hit the limit back then.

I came to realize that I think he was right with regard to here in the USA, but we have all been able to note some growth in this industry in foreign countries. It will grow there too, until it peaks and then the industry as we know it will self-dissolve due to poor marketing, reduced interest in the sport, and too many flashy changes is detector design and models for most to keep up with while having fewer and fewer places to go enjoy the sport. Especially fewer locations that can still produce the ample amounts of coins and desired targets like we used to find.

And finally, I have witnessed an industry change in detector performance in several ways. One thing in particular is that many manufacturers have been fast paced with some added features or overall changes in a model line that might look like a gain or benefit, but in reality the function and performance actually degraded some. Because it isn't such a fast selling market with obvious grown in hobby interest in the US as it once enjoyed ... translated = it's a dying market ... there are still more people involved, percentage wise, who have been at it for perhaps 5 years or more.

They, we, are likely to hang in there and keep re-working the already well-hunted sites, finding a new opportunity every now and then. For the most part, while some new model offerings do bring us some pleasant performance, many former and now discontinued models can hold their own with matching or even better performance than what marketers are presenting as "new and improved."

Yes, the metal detecting industry has been interesting to watch, but with 13 units in my Ready-to-Hunt Detector Outfit, and only 2 of those being currently manufactured devices, I think I'm just going to concentrate on having 'fun' by getting out as often as I can, using what I have because they have all been proven performers, and still are, so I can be finding 'left-overs' while I keep one eye on the 'industry' and read some of the questions or outlandish claims that seem to frequent some forums or join the flurry of self-made videos.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: F-44, Nokta-Makro: FORS CoRe and FORS Relic,
Tesoro: Bandido II ┬ÁMAX and Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX, White's: XLT, XP: ORX
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Now what's going on at Findmall?

D&P-OR 339 October 20, 2018 07:34PM

What's going on at Findmall?

UtahRich 208 October 20, 2018 08:02PM

Looks like Fisher is back on Findmall -

UtahRich 198 October 24, 2018 05:42PM

Re: Looks like Fisher is back on Findmall -

D&P-OR 195 October 24, 2018 06:05PM

Druid 198 October 25, 2018 04:42PM

Fisher is back . . . and others on Findmall

UtahRich 221 November 12, 2018 09:18PM

"Interesting to watch the industry" ... How true and I've been doing it a long time.

Monte 211 November 13, 2018 07:58AM

Having a Home Base . . . . .

UtahRich 206 November 15, 2018 10:55PM

Thanks for the comments, Rich. I like 'simple.'thumbs up N/T

Monte 172 November 16, 2018 06:34AM

Re: Thanks for the comments, Rich. I like 'simple.'thumbs up

jmaryt 188 November 16, 2018 08:31PM

jmaryt 210 October 25, 2018 11:50PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018