Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Omega for a newby? thinking Well, it depends on what they want to do.

October 23, 2018 09:06AM avatar
Drew,

I have 13 detectors I my Regular-Use Outfit and after three years absence I added an Omega 8000 back into my casual, urban Coin Hunting group a couple of months ago. I was 'encouraged, by a couple of distant friends to get one and give it a try, so I did just that back in march of 2010. back them my primary-use detectors were a White's XLT, XL Pro and MXT, plus a modified Classic ID and modified IDX Pro. Then, I can't forget, my favorite non-display and very versatile Tesoro Bandido II microMAX and Silver Sabre microMAX units.

I spent most of my time looking for and hunting ghost towns, homesteads and other more dated and out-of-use locations, but I lived in the greater Portland Oregano metro area so I also put in ample time Coin Hunting. I bought the Omega 3-coil package and gave all the coils ample time afield to see what kind of performance I could get out of the Omega 8000. The 'standard' coil for the Omega 8K is about a 5X9½ elliptical Concentric that I hoped would work OK, and the other two in the package were the 11" BiAxial and 5" DD.

I liked the 5" DD for working in and around metal fences and structures ... slowly ... but have never liked the 11" DD, BiAxial, coils on the T2, F75 or any other FTP product, so I got rid of it and only kept the 5" DD. The 5X9½ish Concentric coil worked OK but didn't pinpoint as well as the round 8" Concentric I took off of a Tek. Delta. So I put the elliptical in my coil tote and only used the 8" Concentric for day-to-day Coin Hunting, and it worked okay The only thing I didn't like about it was that thin and flimsy coil cable that had a cheapish feel to it.

For Coin Hunting around the city it worked OK. If I was hunting in a lower mineralized sand, in woodchips, or in a grassy park or yard and didn't encounter much in the way of iron debris, the performance was fine and I got acceptable detection depth, but I did make sure I was using a slower and methodical sweep speed. In pea gravel or very mineralized environments it did seem to have some challenges, and when I used it in several old town sites and other Relic Hunting applications I sometimes got lucky and found good stuff, but it was well spaced from potential good-target masking iron debris.

I added one back into my arsenal for a few reasons.

I used them for 5+ years with success.

By 'success' I mean I was finding a LOT of coins and gold & silver jewelry I good urban environments.

They are very light-weight and well-balanced Target ID models.

They are simple, yet have ample control functions to provide good Tone ID choices, has an easy-to-view display, and they provide the 'fun factor' that I feel any good detector ought to offer.

I really appreciated then, and even more-so now, the comfortable weight and balance with my bad back and generally terrible health and limited mobility.

I actually added two Omega 8000's back into my arsenal, one to have with my others here in my den, and the main-use Omega 8K to join my other Regular-Use Travel-Team duplicate units, a Nokta-Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic and Tesoro Bandido II microMAX. I keep my 5" DD and the elliptical standard Concentric in my Accessory Coil Tote and now have a favorite Coin Hunting coil mounted. I was going to get an 8" Concentric when 'Coin King' on another Forum let me know he had a brand new 7" Concentric on his Omega 8000 and n extra brand-new 7" to trade.

He said he liked the 7" Concentric and I have to tell you I think it makes an excellent general-purpose, day-to-day coil for Coin Hunting tasks.

Now I'll ask, is this a detector consideration for your niece that I've seen you mention? The one who lives in Eastern Canada? If she is mainly going to be a Coin Hunter to get started, maybe do a little beach hunting, but mostly Coin & Jewelry hunt in and around urban settings and not get into Relic Hunting dense iron littered sites, I think the Omega 8000 wouldn't a bad idea to get started with.

One reason I bought two of them was to have one as a regular-travel detector in my vehicle for me to use, but also as a 'loaner unit' for those who want to try out the hobby, and that's because it isn't heavy nor complex to use.

The 8500? I haven't heard a lot good about it and the audio responses, I am told, seem to be a bit 'choppy' sounding and not as clean as the 8000.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: F-44, Nokta-Makro: FORS CoRe and FORS Relic,
Tesoro: Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, White's: XLT, XP: ORX
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Teknetics Omega for a first detector?

Druid 290 October 22, 2018 10:15AM

Omega for a newby? thinking Well, it depends on what they want to do.

Monte 222 October 23, 2018 09:06AM

Re: Omega for a newby? thinking Well, it depends on what they want to do.

Druid 199 October 25, 2018 04:37PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018