Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My XP Gold MAXX experiences.

February 27, 2019 06:11AM avatar
I don't recall the year but it was 2007 or earlier. A Detector Distributor/Dealer was trying to get the XP Gold MAXX (the original version before the Gold MAXX Power) OKed to handle here in the USA but it was a no-go with our FCC requirement or whatever annoyance there was. They knew I enjoyed Relic Hunting really challenging iron infested old sites and felt the Iron Volume feature would maybe appeal to me and my search needs.

Circuitry design and overall performance were pretty good but the physical packaging, fit and finish, left a bit to be desired. I also wished I had a smaller size search coil to evaluate the Gold MAXX. Physically, the upper and middle rod connection worked very loose and wobbly, and that was annoying. Also, with the standard search coil I felt I had a little under-performance simply due to coil size in very dense debris.

Otherwise, the in-the-field performance was good with the iron range Discrimination and Iron Volume adjustment. It seemed like a detector that was ahead of it's time in that regard. I could see then that it was probably going to appeal to a lot of folks in Europe for the fields and pastures they get to hunt and the type of iron they encounter ... and especially for the smaller ancient coins they were looking for.

The funny thing is that while the Gold MAXX's performance got my attention and interest, once we got a model that was 'allowed' in the USA, the XP Deus, I just didn't find it appealing to me then and, so far, up to the present. Why? Three main reasons are: It has the multi-rechargeable battery design; it didn't have a smaller and more versatile search coil for my wants and needs; third was I didn't care for the XP Deus audio response. If I had to add a 4ht thing it was that I didn't like the nose-heavy balance and feel of the Deus.

But those are some of the things that keep this great sport so interesting. There are many makes and models that can fit into our wants-and-wishes and, usually, provide ample in-the-field performance to keep things 'fun' and rewarding. When I first saw the magazine ads for the XP Deus I could see they were innovative and creative in their packaging and figured they had the engineering know-how to have advanced in performance. At least for some applications or to appeal to the wishes of many Avid Detectorists, but the Deus just didn't capture my interests as much as the progression in their non-display models.

If I had my pick of any XP model this very day, my interests would lilkely favor the Gold MAXX Power or passingly a different model than it would the Deus or ORX. In your case you'll have experiences with the Deus as well so I am looking forward to what you think of the GM Power for the irony sites we like to hunt. I'll be watching and listening. I hope you can brink it to the WTHO in May in Ogden, Utah. Of course, if you really want to experience some of the extreme iron infestations we work, like I've been hunting since almost fifty years ago, it would be even more interesting to make it to the June WTHO based out of Wells, Nevada.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: F-44, Nokta-Makro: FORS CoRe and FORS Relic, Teknetics: Omega 8000,
Tesoro: Bandido II ┬ÁMAX and Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX, White's: XLT, XP: ORX
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Ask and ye shall receive!smiling smiley

Druid 127 February 26, 2019 01:27PM

My XP Gold MAXX experiences.

Monte 105 February 27, 2019 06:11AM

Re: My XP Gold MAXX experiences.

Druid 93 February 27, 2019 01:56PM

Re: My XP Gold MAXX experiences.

RickUK 77 February 27, 2019 11:03AM

Re: Ask and ye shall receive!smiling smiley

Kickindirt 83 February 26, 2019 03:03PM

Druid 112 February 27, 2019 02:01PM

Kickindirt 92 February 27, 2019 11:35PM

Druid 73 February 28, 2019 01:10PM

Druid 82 February 26, 2019 11:28PM

RickUK 121 February 26, 2019 01:35PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018