Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Interest regarding the XP Metal Detectors Forum

March 01, 2019 01:15PM avatar
Monte
#1.. This XP Forum has only been up since Feb. 26th of this year, and this is the 4th DAY on this website. The Garrett Forum has been on AHRPS.ORG since July 15th of last year, so today makes it up-and-running for 7½ MONTHS ... and the XP Metal Detectors has had more Forum posts than the Garrett Metal Detectors Forum.

This suggests two things to me. One is that Forum readers and contributors might be (referring to the XP brand) interested in:

• a newer model offering
• and/or are interested in a foreign-made (to the USA) detector
• and/or a lighter-weight detector
• and/or a model that provides a quicker response and recovery
• and/or a model with more current selectable features, such as Iron Audio Volume of some type

It is interesting Monte how detector interests adapt to our changing world and ourselves as we move on down the road year by year. My personal list coincides with some of your points above. Detector ergonomics are becoming more important to me due to a shoulder injury several years ago. Quicker response / recovery, and iron audio volume have become more important to me the last few years as I’ve had to change things up to find what’s left in places already hunted by many others as well as adding some new venues I’ve previous spent very little time at.

The topic of foreign made and USA made does weigh in to some point. My detector closet contains some from both; Nokta/Minelab and White’s/Tesoro/Garrett, but this is morphing as I’ve been changing my destinations.

Monte
Two is that Forum readers and contributors might be (referring to the Garrett brand)

• not using this brand as much as they used to, percentage wise, in this industry
• and/or find this brand lacking or falling behind in up-to-date creativity
• and/or might have issues with the competitive model's weight and balance
• and/or ???

I've been a bit surprised that the long-time, well-known Garrett brand, which once used to be at the top in a struggle with White's as the two more popular brands ... over a decade ago ... seems to have been slipping in more recent years. I see very few people using a Garrett model in my area or in those where I travel, in the clubs I am in or have visited, or in action on the past nine WTHO's over four years. I would say only about 1 out-of 6 Garrett users I have hunted with and spoken with who were using any of the 'AT' series had positive things to say about them. The other 5 out-of 6 had one or more complaints. Most of them also had another detector or more and commented they didn't like their newer Garrett as much as their other models when comparing results.

I briefly had a low-end Garrett detector I bought for the kids. Since that time, my only Garrett detector is my ProPointer AT, which was added to streamline my carry along equipment and took the place of my very capable Detector Pro Pistol Probe.

I’ve looked at the AT Pro as a possibility for a shallow water detector, but didn’t care for the ergonomics. I ended up waiting and got the EQX800 instead, more expensive, but a better overall detector in my mind.

Monte
Oh, I said there were TWO points of interest regarding XP Metal Detectors Forum, and the 2nd is one that might catch some by surprise. I've stated, many times, that I have several personal feelings about the XP and Minelab offerings that keep me from liking them. I know that for me and the types of sites I prefer to search, I already have a very good set-up of detectors to handle my urban Coin Hunting needs, mainly from Fisher, Teknetics and Tesoro, as well as my very proven two Nokta models that have, so far, remained unmatched in a couple of tough iron nail challenges I use to evaluate any detector.

The most expensive model in my current Regular-Use Detector Outfit of 10 selected-coil equipped models, was $799 for the Nokta FORS Relic. Even the new Teknetics T2+ I just bought only has an MSRP of $549. I can't see spending a lot of $$$ on a detector if it doesn't out-perform a model or two in my current Outfit as well as provide enough useful features, for me, to make it worth the investment. And it isn't always the adjustment functions, either. A detector must have a decent range of available search coils from the manufacturer to also make it more appealing to me to have interest in it. Especially smaller-size search coils.

The XP brand models available in the USA are the Deus and new ORX, and of the two I would likely learn toward the ORX because it has ample adjustment options and is at a more reasonable price compared to a Deus. And IF I were shopping for an XP or Minelab product of recent manufacture, I would be more inclined to look at an XP than I would a Minelab.

This is an interesting point as we all have our personal preferences and I’ve found that when I override my personal preferences and go ahead and buy a detector for whatever reason, I typically end up parting with it due to those personal preferences rearing back up.

That said, I do think our personal preferences can change over time. It won’t typically happen when somebody is poking us with a sharp stick in the eye though, mocking us and trying to change our mind. It typically happens as we ponder and think over a situation looking for a resolution and come to the conclusion ourselves that a change is needed. (lightbulb goes on, epiphany occurs)

To this we need to add that the landscape of new detector features and pricing has experienced a big change the last few years as the competition among companies has heightened. The used market has taken a significant hit and we’re seeing a lot of deals on top notch used detectors. It is now easy to find an affordable back up detector, one that compliments something we’re already using or allows up to try hunting new venues that require something different than what we have.

Yes, I’ve been looking at the XP detectors more closely than I have previously. A few years ago, I said "NO WAY". Yes, there are some things about them that are very different from what I know. But like I mentioned in my post a few days ago on the GENERAL forum, I’ve already taken 2 steps towards that "XP technology" (wireless/charging headphones and recharging only control unit) that have kept me at a distance from them to this point. There is still the last hurdle of coils; pricing and sizes. We'll see how this shakes out.

Monte
Therefore, the 2nd point of interest is that I think I am going to enjoy reading more of the contributions from XP Metal Detector owners and users, regarding the Deus and ORX, than I would the Minelab Metal Detectors Equinox 800 or 600 offerings. And unless something really interesting and exciting comes out from Garrett Metal Detectors, I don't see that Forum catching up with this or any brand Forum.

Okay, I'm back to reading ...

Monte

Back to reading myself. The weather has relented the last couple days, at least temporarily, and I was able to get the detector out for an hour here and there. Nothing exciting found, but it was good to get out and hear that threshold hum and have a look around so old places.

Rich (Utah)

EQ800
Deus
CoRe
Subject Author Views Posted

Two points of interest regarding the XP Metal Detectors Forum

Monte 234 March 01, 2019 06:02AM

Interest regarding the XP Metal Detectors Forum

UtahRich 138 March 01, 2019 01:15PM

Back to you, Rich, and relating it to the XP 'brand.'

Monte 168 March 02, 2019 05:23AM

XP Deus and the New ORX

UtahRich 163 March 02, 2019 04:34PM

Re: Monte and bugs

Kickindirt 146 March 02, 2019 07:23AM

Thanks, Joel. It will be interesting, and who knows the outcome??? N/T

Monte 146 March 02, 2019 09:23AM

Re: Now your talking Monte!!!

Kickindirt 135 March 02, 2019 07:12AM

A Surprise.

OregonGregg 147 March 02, 2019 06:47AM

The XP ORX will, at least, provide some entertainment.smiling bouncing smiley

Monte 141 March 02, 2019 09:20AM

Re: The XP ORX will, at least, provide some entertainment.smiling bouncing smiley

Kickindirt 164 March 02, 2019 09:37AM

Re: The XP ORX will, at least, provide some entertainment.smiling bouncing smiley

D&P-OR 157 March 02, 2019 10:22AM

XP ORX Display. Differs from the Deus.

UtahRich 140 March 10, 2019 11:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018