Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some XP Ramblings.

June 21, 2019 12:00AM avatar
I didn't think I'd like it. I really didn't.

A number of times over the last few years I've had conversations about the Deus. So many things about it that were new or different or just maybe a little strange. Stuff out of the norm with detectors I've become accustomed to seeing and using.

Too, I've kinda had my way of doing things, a norm if you will. Is there need for me to change from the norm? I get a little set in my ways and it usually takes a pretty long period of suffering before I decide that I've just had enough of something and need to move on.

With detectors, sometimes that long period is a year or so, sometimes much longer. I get settled in, you see, with a certain way of doing things, a routine. A routine brings a sense of order or organization to me, continuity if you will, maybe some predictability as well. If I have a spot to go detecting, a place that needs my attention, I can just reach for my detector (singular) and my detecting bag that holds my finds pouch, pinpointer, ground cloth, recovery tools, and off I go. All very neat and tidy. No real decision to make other than do I want to go detecting or not.

Monte threw a sizable wrench in my gears a few years back; I think it was the late 80's, he had a beagle. We had a discussion in his front room, prior to his official Nail Board Test, about detectors and their capabilities. Finding masked targets in and amongst iron trash. Tesoro was making inroads. I was primarily hunting yards surrounding old homes, the door knocking stuff. Most places were only hunted the one time.

There were two of us, Sid and I, and we'd divvy up the yard into 2 halves. We'd hunt our side first, than switch. See what the other guy missed. It produced a lot of finds. Had a little competition there as well. Most of the places we got permission to hunt were 1900 or newer. The coins found were the same era and newer. Occasionally something older would turn up, but there were a lot of mercury dimes, wheat pennies, rosies, war nickels, some buffalo's. Maybe an IHC or Barber or V Nickel once in a while. An 1800's coin was a treat.

Most of the choice older places have been hunted numerous times now. In recent years, rarely have I hunted an old yard that hasn't been hunted several times by others. My finds are decreasing over time. What to do?

Then there was that voice from the past talking about masked targets. My thinking - If I kept doing things the same way as everybody else, my hope would be finding stuff missed by others due to poor or sloppy coverage, maybe a little lack of skill. If I looked DIFFERENTLY than others, perhaps I could find things that the other detectorists COULDN'T find, targets their detectors COULDN'T see.

So, a few years back I talked to Monte about this very thing. At the time, I'd been swinging a Minelab FBS detector of one sort or another since 2000. They had been good to me. But, lots of good hunters in my local area were using the same machine(s), explorers, e-tracs, ctx3030's. Lots of competition. So what could I do differently?

I felt like a change was needed. I sold my e-trac and almost purchased a ctx3030 when I paused and really started thinking about it. Then, Monte invited me to the fall WTHO out in Wells. I didn't really have a ghost town appropriate detector at the time. I picked up a nice used MXT and a 5.3 coil and headed out. I did ok at the outing. No coins. A real eye opener to be reawakened to the volume of rusty nails and tin and even modern trash. But, I was finding the right kind of other targets; shell casings, buttons, bullets, do-dads, bits and bob's.

I took that same MXT detector to an old 'railroad' house I'd hunted several times with my etrac and a Fisher CZ-3D. I couldn't believe the number of coins I had left behind in that SMALL yard; a lot. I mean A LOT. This yard became a testing ground for me. All of the things Monte talked about came together. Now I had a plan and I'm still working on that plan.

So here I am, almost 4 years later. So how does the Deus fit in? Nicely. I think it is fast, it UNMASKS well, is pleasant to swing and listen to. I find myself liking it. And it find things. Kind of the final statement if you ask me. Regardless of how 'great' a detector is touted to be, if I don't do well with it, that is a problem.

If you would have asked me a few years ago what I thought of the XP Deus, you wouldn't get the same answer as today. All that said, I am still getting to know my Deus, how to set it up for success in the places I hunt. Understand the language it speaks. But I find it very likable.

But like I said at the start, I didn't think I'd like it. I really didn't.

Rich -

EQ800
Deus
CoRe
Subject Author Views Posted

Some XP Ramblings.

UtahRich 139 June 21, 2019 12:00AM

Re: Some XP Ramblings.

Remfire 82 June 21, 2019 02:10PM

Deus thoughts

UtahRich 92 July 04, 2019 01:31AM

Kickindirt 103 June 21, 2019 09:19AM

Tones

UtahRich 86 July 04, 2019 01:34AM

Re: Tones

Kickindirt 96 July 04, 2019 02:04PM

I Know . . . . . . . grinning smiley N/T

UtahRich 76 July 05, 2019 04:25PM

Preferring a 'simpler' circuitry design, I really like the ORX.

Monte 110 July 05, 2019 02:36AM

NWCindy 102 June 21, 2019 07:31PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018