Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Deus Users - Target ID normalization - Nice Deus Feature.

July 07, 2019 10:09PM avatar
I mentioned in another post that the Deus has 10 factory programs and room for several more Custom Programs. The factory programs cover a wide variety of possible needs.

The Deus is my first Selectable Multi-Frequency Machine - meaning that I can select my search frequency for my 9" x35 coil from 4kHz, 8kHz, 12kHz, 18kHz and 25kHz. As many of you know, the target ID values that are typically found on various brands of detectors CHANGE as the search frequency is changed. In general, the target ID's of US coins get bunched up closer to the top of the scale as the search frequency increases. There is less separation between coin types. This also means that for the Low Frequencies like 4kHz and 8kHz, the Target ID values are spread out providing better separation between targets.

This variation in target ID values presents a problem to those who are using a detector with selectable frequencies and are also using Visual Target ID. (also to those who have several single frequency detectors of different frequencies) How do you mentally keep track of the different target ID's of items as you change frequencies? (or detectors)

Good Question. Manufactures have given us some help with a software algorithm, a formula that converts the actual target ID from the frequency you are using to what would be considered that same Target ID in the base frequency. Here are some sample values from my Deus for both 8kHz and 18kHz Frequencies.

Coin. . . . . . . . . 8kHz. . . . . . . 18kHz
Nickel . . . . . . . . 46 . . . . . . . . . 62
Zinc Penny . . . . 73 . . . . . . . . . 85
Cu Penny . . . . . 82 . . . . . . . . . 89
Clad Dime . . . . 83 . . . . . . . . . 90
Clad Quarter . . .89 . . . . . . . . . 95

On the Deus, XP has made 18kHz the normal or base frequency. So, when I check the option to have my target ID's NORMALIZED with my controller, all targets ID's are converted to what the target ID WOULD BE if I was searching with the 18kHz frequency. This simplifies recognizing target ID's.

Well, this gets more complicated, because the factory programs that are used give me the opportunity to select how many TONES I would like. I can select from 2-tone, 3-tone, 4-tone, 5-tone, Pitch and Full-tones. We're going to ignore Pitch and Full tones right now and look at the 2-tone through 5-tones options.

In these options, I can select the break points between each of the tones, the point of transition from tone 2 to tone 3 for example. Lots of customization is possible. Which is great. I have a 4-tone program with a break point set between foil and nickel and another between tabs and Indian Head Penny.

Well, the other day, I am standing on a hillside thinking to myself that it would be helpful if I had a greater spread to the target ID values I am seeing on the display. I was hunting in 8kHz, but had selected target normalization, so all of my target ID's were being kinda bunched up near the top. I thought about what might happen if I Turned OFF target Normalization. Would it mess up my programs since the programs were set up with my tone breaks according to the 18kHz scale? Would I have to go in and realign my tone breaks for my custom programs? And what about the factory programs? I paused and decided to wait until I got home.

What did I find? In a nutshell. I didn't have anything to worry about. If I turn OFF target normalization, the break points in my programs follow. Meaning if I have a break point in my 4-tones program set just below nickel. If I turn off target normalization and go look at the break points for that program, I will find that the break point followed my change and it remains just below nickel for whatever search frequency I am using.

Cool

Aloha

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 10:30PM by UtahRich.
Subject Author Views Posted

Deus Users - Target ID normalization - Nice Deus Feature.

UtahRich 58 July 07, 2019 10:09PM

Re: Deus Users - Target ID normalization - Nice Deus Feature.

Kickindirt 38 July 08, 2019 12:09PM

How about XP 'ORX' Users - Target ID 'Normalization' - An even Nicer ORX Feature.smiling smiley

Monte 67 July 08, 2019 08:21AM

Pretty nifty....now if only...........

OregonGregg 52 July 08, 2019 06:27AM

LOL. Well, you got me there Gregg.

UtahRich 38 July 08, 2019 11:07AM

Re: Pretty nifty....now if only...........

D&P-OR 33 July 08, 2019 08:01AM

ORX, solving the worlds detecting problems thumbs up N/T

UtahRich 33 July 08, 2019 11:59AM

smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float I'm with you on that one! N/T

Monte 31 July 08, 2019 08:19AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018