Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Well, I can pleasantly report that the ORX is very satisfying!thumbs up

August 15, 2019 08:16AM avatar
I've never been one for 'complexity' and especially when it comes to metal detector selection. I have also needed to be more attentive to a detector's weight, balance and 'feel' in my hands, and in this category, the XP ORX, with it's smallest available search coil, the 5X9½ open-frame DD, is working out splendidly for me. I do wish they would make something in a round-shape of about 5" to 6" diameter, but the elliptical HF coil is still quite impressive in how it handles the trashier old sites I prefer hunting.

The ORX is a near-perfect 'fit' to complement my Nokta Relic and CoRe, and those three models are assigned to my Regular-Use Detector Outfit as my dedicated 'get-serious' Relic Hunting Team to best tackle very dense ferrous debris sites. I could use the ORX or other two for casual urban Coin Hunting applications, and do for certain conditions, but I have a Fisher, Tesoro and White's model assigned to take care of those needs.

Actually, the addition of the ORX has helped me ... maybe even 'encouraged' me ... to thin out more of my detectors so as to have a smaller, handier-size Detector Team. There is absolutely no such thing as a 'perfect' detector, and the better and more functional a detector is, the better it can be when it comes to taking on other detector's responsibilities or assignments. With each brand and model I own today, the more fitting they are at covering an assortment of tasks.

Once I had the service center check everything out and replace the defective headphones and get everything paired up for me, I was able to enjoy using headphones, and I bought the over-the-head wireless Deteknix headphones Joel had listed and I enjoy their fit and comfort even more. It's been way too hot this summer and most ghost towns have not been very huntable due to weedy growth, but I've still headed out with the ORX to put in more time afield and get to know it better. The better I know it the much better I like what it can do for me.

Like you, I had also taken a long and frequent look at the Deus, especially following a lot of results I had heard from folks in the UK and France, and those Kickindirt' reports kept popping up as Joel reported his results from afield. I followed it, and tried using a guy's Deus once ... briefly ... but just didn't care for the audio response he used. Also, like I often state, 'I Like Simple' and the Deus was too expensive and had more 'fluffy' features than I cared for.

Then, along came the ORX that shouted out to me it was a Simplified new offering with the Deus DNA to keep it simple yet provide Deus-like performance. I liked the compact size and light-weight package, and I liked the mid-size 5X9½ HF DD coil. The only real annoyance I had/have with these models is the requirement to have to charge up all those batteries. I've only been caught short once so far and had low batteries when I started hunting a site. But that was my fault as I accidently didn't get the charging plug fully into the coil attachment or accidently unplugged it when moving things around. I might have to snag an additional battery for the coil sometime down the road.

Once I learned what more of the strengths are about the ORX, the more I have enjoyed grabbing that device. And the performance has been so good that I believe this model would easily be a great fit for many who have been using, or those who have considered acquiring, the Deus. I find the very graduated, modulated Audio to be about the best design I have ever used, and that spans over fifty years of using a lot of detector designs. The ORX features some of the best audio interpretation so communicating with my detector is quite pleasurable.

It's not a detector for everyone, like no detector can be, but I would encourage anyone interested in owning a very versatile detector to give the ORX a serious look, and if you have the opportunity, get your hands on one and put in a few hours of checking it out ... with an open mind .. as I believe this model makes one of the best detectors to have in your personal outfit as well.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

How is the ORX working for you ?

UtahRich 115 August 14, 2019 09:53PM

Well, I can pleasantly report that the ORX is very satisfying!thumbs up

Monte 124 August 15, 2019 08:16AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018