Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sometimes things just click...

October 12, 2019 04:26PM
So it all started with a quick trip with Monte to an iron infested ghost town site where I was able to use brand xyz with the small coil on the business end. I really appreciated the separation it had in that tough environment. I liked it enough that I made myself the proud owner of one. About a week after getting and using it almost every day and liking it more and more for what it does so well, I was offered the opportunity to try out an ORX with the 5x9 coil. Wow! While it wasn't quite as good as brand xyz, at what it does best, I found it also does it really well and I was surprised to find that it was very versatile as a coin shooter and that it also has the ability to chase down micro gold jewelery with a vengeance! That by the way, is solely based on my own limited testing. This is where it gets interesting. I then had the opportunity to use a Deus and was not very enthusiastic about it. As I thought, I found it to be very complex with multiple settings and adjustments which can greatly affect one another and render the detector almost useless when you get it wrong. However, about 40 min into my 'Deus' experience and with help from the owner, I had one of those ah-ha moments where everything just seemed to click. I was understanding, at least in part, how and why the different settings were working together and how they could and work against each other. I by no means understand this machine and how it really works but for some reason it feels good to run and I can adjust it (somewhat) as needed. I have to say that it feels comfortable but not just a physicaly, although that is one of its strong points, its more of "I get it" or am getting it and want to get more of it! Its hard to explain but there's a connection there that I couldn't let go of - yes, I bought one!
I have the 5x9 HF, the X35 11" and the X35 9" coils. So far I really like the 5X9 HF and the 9" X35 and am looking forward to using them on a trip back east in the near future.
I'm also really enjoying the learning curve and to a surpising degree, am getting the results I expect from the adjustments I'm making. I'm making myself some simple charts showing what happens when I adjust this and or that or that and that other setting. I'm on the fence about the XY screen but I can see how it could help is some cases. Still though, I want to rely on my ears more than anything else.
It has also helped me understand the ORX a little better and I may keep it for a second user or backup machine.
I've have other brand's top end machines and it was always a struggle for me to like them. This although very complex, doesn't feel like a struggle. It feels more like the proverbial 'thing I was ment to do'.
What I'm trying to say is that I drank the XP cool aid and am glad I did! At least so far.
Dan
Subject Author Views Posted

Dan'o 68 October 12, 2019 04:26PM

Re: Sometimes things just click... yes I know the feeling

Kickindirt 46 October 13, 2019 01:21PM

Dan'o 35 October 13, 2019 01:59PM

Kickindirt 34 October 13, 2019 02:50PM

Dan'o 30 October 13, 2019 03:12PM

Re: Sometimes

Remfire 40 October 13, 2019 06:32PM

Dan'o 30 October 13, 2019 08:13PM

Remfire 27 October 13, 2019 09:14PM

Good post, but no 'xyz' needed on the AHRPS Forums.

Monte 49 October 13, 2019 09:24AM

Re: Sometimes things just click...

RickUK 36 October 13, 2019 08:45AM

Dan'o 31 October 13, 2019 10:58AM

RickUK 27 October 13, 2019 01:13PM

UtahRich 43 October 13, 2019 07:23AM

I agree with you about 'audio' and 'lightness in hand.'

Monte 42 October 13, 2019 09:41AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018