Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'Thank You' Rich. Good answers and thoughts for me and others.

December 02, 2019 09:43AM avatar
UtahRich
Most of the time, I could use either the Deus or the 800,
That's kind of how it is with me, too. Most of the time ... grab anything I have. But for special applications some definitely do have their strong points in design and/or performance.

UtahRich
As I mentioned over in the minelab forum where this same question is posed, but for the 800, if I've hunted a particular site a number of times with one detector, or others have hit a site with one particular type detector, I'll often try something different just for a change of pace and see if doing things a different way can help me find a keeper or two.
Yep, another good reason to own and use more than one detector, or even just switch search coils to re-hunt a site.

UtahRich
When is the Deus my Preference? For me, there are 2 big advantages the Deus offers me; light weight and exceptional target separation. I like the Deus up on the mountains at the ski resorts where traversing a side hill and trying to swing a detector with any weight to it can quickly burn out your arm and shoulder muscles. Also, if I am doing a lot of coil manipulation in and around sagebrush, trees, bushes and the like, the extreme light weight is a bonus that allows me to move quickly and not tire my arm / shoulder. I can hunt all day long with the Deus and not tire early.
For me you hit on the #1 thing I like about the XP ORX, and that is the very light weight, comfortable balance, and ability to maneuver in and around obstacles.

UtahRich
Coil Selection: I have the 9" X35 coil for my Deus. When i selected the Deus, i specifically wanted this coil for it's size and frequency options. it separates exceptionally and has great depth for a 9" coil.
When I picked my first ORX to get an XPerience, I got the 5X9½ DD HF coil. I wanted that mid-size coil for most of the places I like to hunt and fit in and around stuff better. But when I got my 2nd ORX (again going through 'Kickindirt' for both packages and also to get the Gray Ghost XP headphones) I decided to get it with the X35 9" DD coil to compare the performance and benefits of the different range of frequency options. I figured if I didn't like it there was an interested market out there. Too bad folks, I like it.smiling smiley

And I also like the 9" diameter coil for working grassy parks, private yards, and other more open spaces with good maneuverability, slightly better depth than the elliptical HF coil, and the fact that the entire package is still very light and comfortable..

UtahRich
Programs: I like to take advantage of iron tones and will usually run with little discrimination, I've come up with 3 programs that I use; 2 for the ghost towns (high trash and lower trash) and one for the ski resorts based upon the types of targets I expect to find and the ground conditions. There is a factory "Deep" program that works well for parks and such with just a little tweaking. If things getting trashy at an old house or similar, I resort to one of my 2 ghost town programs.
I don't have the adjustment options of the Deus, but the ORX's Coin programs have a very functional 3-Tone audio that works quite well. I generally like to hear some of the iron I encounter and leave Iron Volume 'On' but only set my Discrimination/Low-Tone breakpoint at '7..

UtahRich
Tones: I've set up the Deus very similar to my 800 with my tones and break points, so there is a similar feel when I am hunting. A side comment here: There seems to be a thought out there that the Deus is very complicated to set up. My thoughts are that if you become familiar with the settings and what they do, adjusting the settings for what you want to accomplish is much easier.
I'm sure the Deus isn't all that difficult once a person learns it, but I like the Simplicity of the ORX that still gives me Deus depth of detection and with an excellent modulated audio report, not to mention all the VDI read-outs are 'Normalized' regardless of coil or frequency of operation.

UtahRich
Anyway, hope that answers your question(s) Monte.
Yes, it did. I better understand why you like the Deus as well as the Equinox 800. Thank You,

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

UtahRich ... When do you prefer the Deus over the Equinox 800?

Monte 75 November 30, 2019 10:20AM

Re: UtahRich ... When do you prefer the Deus over the Equinox 800? Attachments

NWCindy 46 December 07, 2019 09:04PM

When do you prefer the Deus?

UtahRich 65 December 01, 2019 04:00PM

Re: When do you prefer the Deus?

Kickindirt 32 December 08, 2019 02:27PM

Reactivity differences. ???

Monte 31 December 09, 2019 09:07PM

Re: Reactivity differences. ???

Kickindirt 28 December 09, 2019 10:38PM

Monte 30 December 12, 2019 10:22AM

The 2.5 reactivity setting. . . .

UtahRich 23 December 12, 2019 07:16PM

That sounds logical if it was to enhance what they already had. N/T

Monte 17 December 13, 2019 06:55AM

Re: The 2.5 reactivity setting. . . . Yupper that's how i remember it too N/T

Kickindirt 17 December 12, 2019 07:46PM

Kickindirt 26 December 12, 2019 03:24PM

But sometimes there are no 'tones' to use.

Monte 18 December 13, 2019 07:06AM

Re: But sometimes there are no 'tones' to use.

Kickindirt 26 December 13, 2019 07:17PM

Reactivity, Operating Frequency and Ground Balance.

Monte 24 December 14, 2019 12:03PM

Re: Reactivity, Operating Frequency and Ground Balance.

Kickindirt 21 December 14, 2019 07:00PM

Some thoughts and responses for you.

Monte 13 December 15, 2019 03:01AM

Re: But sometimes there are no 'tones' to use.

D&P-OR 15 December 13, 2019 07:37PM

'Thank You' Rich. Good answers and thoughts for me and others.

Monte 36 December 02, 2019 09:43AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018