Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reactivity, Operating Frequency and Ground Balance.

December 14, 2019 11:03AM avatar
Monte
Matter-of-fact, I have my saved program in the #5 spot that is User Coin. Based on the #4 Coin Deep mode with settings I prefer on one ORX w/5X9½ HF at 14.4 kHz and the ORX w/9" X35 coil working at 7.7 kHz ... with both using a reactivity of '2'. I grab the ORX & Coil set-up I want, turn it On and hunt away w/o any tinkering. 'Simple' and I like 'simple'.thumbs up

Joel, yesterday I used the stack of 5 Silver Halves on 1 Silver Dollar mentioned and my ORX at 14.4 kHz w/5X9½ HF DD coil. Reactivity at '1' or '2'. The Ground Balance was set at '88' or '89' for the ground I was working. I know that based on circuitry design, some models can have performance issues due to Reactivity settings, Discrimination settings and Ground Balance setting ... for those models with GB control in the Disc. mode. Not all of them do.

At those settings, that ORX & 5X9½ HF coil worked fine. Slightly better performance and air-depth at a Reactivity of '1' but still very good at a Reactivity of '2'. If I increased reactivity to '2.5' or especially '3' it was a terrible, non-impressive audio and visual response. Sometimes just 'ticky' and virtually no depth performance.

If I increased the Operating Frequency to 31.3 or 74.0, that package wouldn't work worth a hoot, even when I dropped the Reactivity to '2' or '10'. At that site, I had to use a GB of '88.?' or just at '89' and if adjusted any lower it was very noisy operation for that terrible ground mineral.

Using my other ORX w/9" X35 DD coil and working at '7.7 kHz and Reactivity of '2' I had very favorable performance. Even better with the coil lifted away as that round 9" does provide improved or increased Detection Depth. I still had very good performance when I dropped the Frequency to '4.0' kHz on that high-conductive silver-coin Test Sample.

But using the higher Frequencies of '11.3' or '17.2' or 25.2' kHz performance was bad with a worthless audio and visual read-out, and even worse if I increased Reactivity to '2.5' or '3'. Matter-of-fact, at a Reactivity of '3' it was even worthless to try and search at 7.7' kHz and only operable with a good response at '4.0' kHz.

Yes, I tried to GB with this ORX and coil as well, but due to the ground mineral conditions it required a GB setting of ± '82' or '83' or higher to eliminate falsing. I did manually reduce the GB to '75' and that didn't help much, either. I was on very bad ground and close to EMI power sources, but that is why I enjoy using different detectors and coils. All of my models that do NOT get a good audio and VDI response on this test still didn't at that locations. But all the other models I use that DO get very good audio and visual response (the Fisher F44, Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, modified White's IDX Pro and usually the Makro Racer 2 w/7" Concentric coil) gave me very good performance at that same location when they had a proper and functional Ground Balance.

(NOTE: The Racer 2 is audibly acceptable with 7" Concentric, but the VDI read-out isn't a solid lock-on like the other detectors.)

The real thing to gain from this observation is this: Some detectors can't get a good response or visual read-out and some can. Then there are the models that might not with some 'standard' or wrong frequency selections, but can work fine if the operator chooses the best frequency and, in the case of the XP devices, the right Reactivity settings. A casual user who tinkers with settings unknowingly might not do well. A savvy user who knows how to find the best setting combinations will have a good, functional detector hard at work.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

UtahRich ... When do you prefer the Deus over the Equinox 800?

Monte 404 November 30, 2019 09:20AM

Re: UtahRich ... When do you prefer the Deus over the Equinox 800? Attachments

NWCindy 276 December 07, 2019 08:04PM

When do you prefer the Deus?

UtahRich 349 December 01, 2019 03:00PM

Re: When do you prefer the Deus?

Kickindirt 256 December 08, 2019 01:27PM

Reactivity differences. ???

Monte 269 December 09, 2019 08:07PM

Re: Reactivity differences. ???

Kickindirt 243 December 09, 2019 09:38PM

Monte 260 December 12, 2019 09:22AM

The 2.5 reactivity setting. . . .

UtahRich 259 December 12, 2019 06:16PM

That sounds logical if it was to enhance what they already had. N/T

Monte 199 December 13, 2019 05:55AM

Re: The 2.5 reactivity setting. . . . Yupper that's how i remember it too N/T

Kickindirt 184 December 12, 2019 06:46PM

Kickindirt 239 December 12, 2019 02:24PM

But sometimes there are no 'tones' to use.

Monte 212 December 13, 2019 06:06AM

Re: But sometimes there are no 'tones' to use.

Kickindirt 235 December 13, 2019 06:17PM

Reactivity, Operating Frequency and Ground Balance.

Monte 223 December 14, 2019 11:03AM

Re: Reactivity, Operating Frequency and Ground Balance.

Kickindirt 242 December 14, 2019 06:00PM

Some thoughts and responses for you.

Monte 242 December 15, 2019 02:01AM

Re: But sometimes there are no 'tones' to use.

D&P-OR 197 December 13, 2019 06:37PM

'Thank You' Rich. Good answers and thoughts for me and others.

Monte 216 December 02, 2019 08:43AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020