Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yes, you heard Half-Dime, but I might buy one.

February 08, 2020 06:47AM avatar
UtahRich:
Monte
. . . . . . . . I need to get another silver Half-Dime to have in my Test Sample Kit for the tough test using my Nail Board, but what I have will do for now.

Monte

Looking for a half-dime myself. We should plan on finding a couple of them this year.

Rich

Naturally I am hoping to find one on the upcoming Outing, and I wish you the best of success doing so as well. I was referring to just getting a Half-Dime to use with my Nail Board Performance Test instead of an Indian Head or slightly smaller Dime. The silver Half-Dime is much smaller and thinner, being about half the size and weight of a Silver Dime. I used my 1936 Capped-Bust Half-Dime (the one I found when you and I hit 'Twin Flats' about 29 years ago this month) with my Nail Board for a very challenging Test I did and had OregonGregg bring all his detectors and coils over to give it a try.

By the way, that Tough Test Gregg posted on these Forums, and the best-performing detector with factory search coil, out of five or six brands and an assortment of coils, was the Nokta FORS CoRe w/4.7X5.2 'OOR' DD. It's the only factory detector & coil that hit that tiny target 8-out-of-8. The FORS Relic w/5" DD got 7-out-of-8 with kind of an 'iffy' tick on the one pass that wasn't quite good enough to make it 8.

My Capped-Bust H-D I put back in a 2X2 holder and it's in my display binder. I just need to get a Test Sample Half-Dime so I'll buy one or maybe get one with part of a detector sale or trade.

I do hope to get a Half-Dime on this WTHO because it's been a while since I plucked one. The only Capped Bust coin I've ever found was that Half-Dime from 'Twin Flats' Utah and all the rest of my half-Dimes have been Seated liberties. An 1854 H-D from a mining camp in northern California, not far from Nevada, a couple from the 50s from old Nevada RR townsites, and the rest, abut a half-dozen late '30s and '50s Seated Liberties from Utah ghost towns. I'd like to find one or two on this trip, regardless of buying a Test Coin. We know they are out there, or still ought to be some remaining, but who's going to find them??

Matter of fact, I hope it's from the 1840's. With all the Seated Liberty coins I have ever found, Half-Dimes, Dimes, Quarters and Halves, I have NEVER found a single one from the 1840's. So that's my real Wish-List Coin for this or any old-site hunt, to find any 1840's silver coin.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Continuing to enjoy my two ORX set-ups. Especially in iron nails.

Monte 136 February 07, 2020 05:47AM

Re: Continuing to enjoy my two ORX set-ups. Especially in iron nails.

Kickindirt 71 February 07, 2020 07:06PM

'Kickindirt', here are my ORX settings and applications.

Monte 74 February 08, 2020 11:20AM

Re: 'Kickindirt', here are my ORX settings and applications.

Kickindirt 53 February 08, 2020 07:11PM

Based on your descriptive reply - - - - -

Monte 54 February 09, 2020 05:33AM

Re: Based on your descriptive, I figured you would say that.

Kickindirt 49 February 09, 2020 10:39AM

Re: Based on your descriptive, I figured you would say that.

Dan'o 50 February 09, 2020 12:14PM

I said the ORX is a D-WOF and you ask: What is a D-WOF?confused smiley

Monte 58 February 09, 2020 05:41AM

Re: I said the ORX is a D-WOF and you ask: What is a D-WOF?confused smiley

D&P-OR 48 February 09, 2020 10:00AM

Did I hear Half-Dime ?

UtahRich 83 February 07, 2020 11:57AM

Re: Did I hear Half-Dime ?

OregonGregg 48 February 09, 2020 07:52AM

Yes, you heard Half-Dime, but I might buy one.

Monte 63 February 08, 2020 06:47AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018