Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'Kickindirt', here are my ORX settings and applications.

February 08, 2020 12:20PM avatar
Kickindirt
So what settings did you decide to start swinging the ORX with for the group hunt then?
Good question, and here's reminder about why I own two ORX units with different search coils. The first one I got, from you as a Dealer, I ordered with the 5X9½ DD HF search coils for one very good reason: It's the smaller size coil they make for it, and I use smaller-size coils 98% of the time on any detector with most being smaller than that. The 5X9½ DD is what I consider to be a 'mid-size' coil, and I needed one in my Outfit like that, anyway. The additional reasons were that it helped to keep the detector & coil package light-weight and more comfortable and usable for me. Plus, I spend most of my time searching trashier sites and brushier and weedier confined places, so smaller meant it would be a better fit.

The 2nd ORX, which I also ordered from you, came with the round 9" X35 search coil. That combination provides me a couple of differences because the round 9" can provide a bit better depth-of-detection in wide-open areas with less target-masking trash. That made it better for hunting urban parks or private yards, or anywhere that provided a more open area where I might devote my search-time to Coin Hunting. That would also include big sports fields, beaches, plowed fields or range and pastureland. For that use, the X35 also provides me with lower operating frequencies which can be to my advantages, especially for the higher-conductive coin-type targets.

Here are the settings I have settled on, for now, which have so far been working fine.

ORX w/5X9½ DD HF coil: Sensitivity-'99' .. Disc.-'07' .. Frequency-'14.4' kHz' .. Iron Volume-'ON' .. Reactivity-'2'

ORX w/9" X35 DD coil: ... Sensitivity-'99' .. Disc.-'07' .. Frequency-'7.7' kHz' .... Iron Volume-'ON' .. Reactivity-'2'

That's right, the only real difference between the settings in each custom User program is the operating frequency. Why is that? Because the same frequency used for both coils would not provide me with identical or similar performance based on how the search coil was designed and its physical configuration. The HF coil provides the opportunity for much higher operating Frequencies while the 9" X35 coils functions well with a lower-set of Frequencies. I chose those I have saved for start-up because with that particular coil, and using an assortment of coins and trade tokens that I mainly will be searching for and testing the units in different Iron Nail conditions, those are the Frequencies that usually worked the best

As for the other settings, remember, too, that this is the ORX and I have far fewer available adjustments to make or adjustment ranges to mess with compared with XP's Deus. And you know what, that's fine with me. I don't care for complexity, and that includes having too many features to tinker with to get desirable results. I like detectors that are Simple, Functional, and provide me with decent in-the-field Performance, and I get that with the ORX. As most detector manufacturers suggest, I work the search coil ±2" off the ground, and I always use the highest, or close to the highest, Sensitivity offered, and then reduce that only if I need to and then just to the point where I gain stability when I deal with EMI.

I set the Disc. at '7' because at that setting I am rejecting most of the common Iron Nails but I can still hear most Nails and other ferrous junk. If Iron becomes bothersome, and here I am referring to Iron Nails and iron Audio, then I turn Iron Volume 'OFF' and continue detecting. In some dense Iron Nail encounters, this comes in quite useful.

I never increase Reactivity higher than '2' because I don't like the trade-offs in performance if used any quicker. I know the Deus offers more adjustment range and doesn't mimic the ORX settings, but I have seen some impaired performance from Deus users who use settings by guess rather than my experiment, and often, their Reactivity is set too high and cuts in on performance afield..

. .
Kickindirt
I have some new programs that I plan on trying with the deus in some of the heavy iron areas. I've been pretty lucky in the past WTHOs to pull some silver or gold out of the worst spots with the deus.
Just remember, we are not looking for iron, we just need to be ready to deal wit iron. When you find some settings you feel make a good match for some sites we might be dealing with, then check them out on some Test Samples at the WTHO this June. I will have some of the same as last year, and a few new or different Test Samples for folks to check out. it will just help everyone get a better feel for what they are using..

Kickindirt
One thing I haven't found is a half dime yet. Maybe this is the year.
I have a vivid memory of a lot of my finds through these many years, but especially the thrill of finally finding my first Seated Liberty Half-Dime. 'Twin Flats' Utah, just west of an old stone foundation in some dirt between some fallen-down rocks. On edge making the audio response a little 'iffy' especially with the rocks, but it toe-scuffed out at about 1½".and stretched out my hunt-day. I'd made some finds so I wasn't skunked, but had some things to do and I plaanned to head home a little earlier that day.

After admiring that 1838, the oldest silver coin I had ever found at that location, and being my 1st Half-Dime, I decided to hunt on a little longer. Instead of heading home about noon time, I didn't stop hunting until just about sunset. No more hlf-Dimes that day. (But a few more keepers did surface from my efforts!)

Kickindirt
Speaking of using XP/ORX in heavy iron. With these machines the slightest high tone peep can turn into a almost fully masked coin. One of the best parts of Detecting the heavy Iron/trash is the really bad signal that you took a chance at digging turning into a sweet high tone after digging.
The XP's are not alone in that performance as I use, or have used, other makes and models that also do a great job of letting a bit of non-ferrous audio squeak through with the iron noise. Now, I know the Deus has some audio option settings not available on the ORX that might provide some benefit, but I like what the ORX can do and it just took a little time and patience to get to know it well.

Actually, in some ways the ORX reminds me of those Compass Yukon TR's I used to use in the early '70s. No, they didn't have Discrimination or a 2-Tone audio. but they did have kind of a 'raspy' audio that helped them perform so well, once you got comfortable with it. The ORX reminds me of it because often the Low-Tone Iron Audio of the ORX can get a little 'buzzy' or 'raspy' and you just have to listen closely to pick out the potentially good mid-tone and-high tone that squeak through. Remember, in the Coin mods the ORX is a 3-Tone device.

Kickindirt
I will actually get more than one day this year to enjoy the WTHO. So I am really looking forward to it this year.
Now, there's some good news. You need to be around when I find my Half-Dime and then Rich finds his Half-Dime (or the other way around) and then it will be your turn. (Again, unless it works the other way around.) The most likely of those townsites to hold such a treasure would be Toano and Tecoma, and the first the most likely. Places tougher for me to maneuver so I need to get there first to get my coil over it then I can go relax.smiling smiley

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Continuing to enjoy my two ORX set-ups. Especially in iron nails.

Monte 65 February 07, 2020 06:47AM

Re: Continuing to enjoy my two ORX set-ups. Especially in iron nails.

Kickindirt 38 February 07, 2020 08:06PM

'Kickindirt', here are my ORX settings and applications.

Monte 33 February 08, 2020 12:20PM

Re: 'Kickindirt', here are my ORX settings and applications.

Kickindirt 25 February 08, 2020 08:11PM

Based on your descriptive reply - - - - -

Monte 31 February 09, 2020 06:33AM

Re: Based on your descriptive, I figured you would say that.

Kickindirt 24 February 09, 2020 11:39AM

Re: Based on your descriptive, I figured you would say that.

Dan'o 22 February 09, 2020 01:14PM

I said the ORX is a D-WOF and you ask: What is a D-WOF?confused smiley

Monte 29 February 09, 2020 06:41AM

Re: I said the ORX is a D-WOF and you ask: What is a D-WOF?confused smiley

D&P-OR 24 February 09, 2020 11:00AM

Did I hear Half-Dime ?

UtahRich 42 February 07, 2020 12:57PM

Re: Did I hear Half-Dime ?

OregonGregg 22 February 09, 2020 08:52AM

Yes, you heard Half-Dime, but I might buy one.

Monte 34 February 08, 2020 07:47AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018