Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Twilight Zone - - - cool smiley

June 23, 2020 12:16AM avatar
Joel,

Back in the late 90's, I was working downtown and would frequently drive past what my dad remembered as the old family house his parents lived in before he was born and they relocated. I had hunted other houses in this same neighborhood, but had never caught anybody home to gain permission to hunt this yard.

While I was downtown detecting one day, (March 6, 1999) I saw a couple cars in the driveway and pulled over. Nobody answered the door, but I heard voices around back. Some family members had gathered. Their father who lived in the house had passed away. And he had been a detectorists. A very good one from what they said. I asked if it was ok to hunt the yard and they laughed saying there wouldn't be a thing there. I didn't mind trying my luck anyway, and they gave me the go ahead and soon left me to my own luck.

Everything I found was deep, between 6-9". Fortunately, my CZ-6 was up to the task. Within a short time I had recovered 3 Mercury dimes, 1916-S, and 2- 1917-S, an 1891 V Nickel and 2 wheaties; 1916-S and 1926-D. I crissed and crossed the small yard until there were no other targets. The late detectorists had indeed done a very good job of cleaning out detectable signals.

I moved on to the parking strip to discover it wasn't original at all and was full of newer conductive trash. I decided to work along the edge of the older concrete of the sidewalk when I noticed a very old man with cane struggling to walk ever so slowly my way. I kept looking up from my detecting as he shuffled his way closer. I knew he was going to stop and talk to me. I noticed his brilliant blue eyes when he stopped. He asked what I was doing and I explained I was looking for old coins and such with my metal detector. He paused at that and reflected back to when he was young. He was living a few blocks over and was working in the garden immediately in front of their family home when he turned up a coin in the dirt. It was a gold coin ! . . . . no it wasn't a gold coin, it was a. . . . . an Indian Head Penny, that's what it was, an 1898 Indian Head Penny. He turned back towards me and looked me right in the eye and said, "You might find one too". With that he turned and ever so slowly started working his way down the sidewalk.

I "knew" immediately I was going to find an Indian Head Penny, an 1898 Indian Head Penny. I was sure of it. I stood up right where I was and walked back into the middle of the very small front yard and lowered the 8" coil of my CZ-6 and swung it a few times. And right there was a nice target. How did I ever miss a target that easy? Out came the Hole Hog, I cut a plug 7" deep and boom, there it was a coin in the hole. Out comes an 1898 IHC ! Wow. That was amazing.

I would say that I was stunned, but I really wasn't, I knew I was going to find that coin. I looked around to spot the old man and he was nowhere to be seen. It hadn't been 1 minute, maybe 2, since I walked over to the lawn, where could he have gone? He walked sooooo slow. I was in the middle of the block and had a clear view all the way to the corner. No sign. I hustled down to the corner and looked down the street. No sign ?

I just smiled to myself. I went back and went over the lawn again from 3 directions. Nothing. When I got home and cleaned up my finds, I labeled the 1898 IHC "Twilight Zone".

So Joel, that's my 'strangest' experience I recall while I was metal detecting.

No ghosts or voices. Or were there ? winking smiley

Rich -

edit : I've told this story before. To make sure of my accuracy, I pulled out my records sheets to make sure of the date and the coins found. That old turn-of the-century house is no longer there. Not long after I hunted it, the property was sold, the house was removed and replaced with apartments. My I remember that it was there whenever I go down that road. R-

π

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2020 12:23AM by UtahRich.
Subject Author Views Posted

Relic hunting with Ghosts??eye popping smiley Attachments

Kickindirt 84 June 22, 2020 10:32PM

Re: Relic hunting with Ghosts??eye popping smiley

zincoln 33 June 25, 2020 08:34PM

Kickindirt 33 June 26, 2020 07:24AM

How about it Joel---anymore ghosts lately?????---Curious minds wanna know!!!!!winking smiley N/T

D&P-OR 28 June 25, 2020 06:51AM

Re: How about it Joel---anymore ghosts lately?????---Curious minds wanna know!!!!!winking smiley

Kickindirt 27 June 25, 2020 03:29PM

NWCindy 33 June 23, 2020 08:04PM

OregonGregg 41 June 23, 2020 11:16AM

D&P-OR 39 June 23, 2020 03:54PM

Kickindirt 33 June 23, 2020 02:28PM

Sip that XP Juice, don't gulp it down! See what happens. N/T

Monte 31 June 23, 2020 05:53AM

Re: I did have one can of Xp juice the night before ha ha ha N/T

Kickindirt 23 June 23, 2020 10:24AM

The Twilight Zone - - - cool smiley

UtahRich 51 June 23, 2020 12:16AM

Now, THAT was a very good story, Rich! N/T

Monte 26 June 23, 2020 05:51AM

Re: The Twilight Zone - - - cool smiley

Kickindirt 36 June 23, 2020 01:08AM

D&P-OR 41 June 22, 2020 10:42PM

runswithscissors 29 June 23, 2020 09:10AM

Re: Relic hunting with Ghosts??eye popping smiley Attachments

NWCindy 39 June 23, 2020 08:16PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 40
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018