Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No nightmare for me, Rich, ... And I agree about 'simplicity.'

May 06, 2021 12:26AM avatar
UtahRich
Joel,

It wasn’t my point to be disagreeable (a dick) about the three points of recharging for the ORX and Deus, but rather to bring to Montes attention he currently has a recharging nightmare trying to keep 4 Apex’s with their respective wireless headphones all charged and ready to go.

No, not really, as I clarified in my above post. I've found both my Apex detectors and MS-3 Z-Lynk Headphones can charge up reasonably fast, and they hold their charge quite well. It is easy to maintain both devices at 'enough' of a charge or a 'full charge' to serve my needs well. So far, I haven't had an experience yet of a detector running low on operating power, but I did with an ORX on three occasions, and each time it was the search coil that gave up first.

UtahRich
So why would the ORX be more of a hassle? That’s all I’m saying. Perhaps he only maintains 1 set of headphones and relinks them each hunt with whatever detector / coil combination he’s chose for that moment at that hunt site.

The 'hassle', if I have to select one, is that to charge the outfit of 4 devices, I need to take the detector controller & coil, plus headphones, plus pinpointer inside each night to make sure they are full IF THEY HAVE RUN-DOWN SUFFICIENTLY. With my Apex it is the detector and headphones. Now, I am not able to get out hunting every day or for long durations, but I just do not see the battery indicted drain from the Apex like I did the ORX, or Vanquish or Equinox for that matter. And when my Apex happens to drop below 2-bars of battery life ... seldom ... I just plug it into the car charger while driving to a hunt site and I have always had very ample charge when I get to my destination.

UtahRich
For me, the Deus is simple to swap coils with. Each coil comes with a lower rod. Release locking lever, swap coil, engage locking lever, toggle coil selection in controller, toggle coil selection in headphones. Scroll to desired mode. Done. No messing with coil cables and connectors or multiple sets of headphones and controllers. And consequently no cost buying a controller and wireless headphones for each coil and no worry about carrying around a bunch of full sized detectors in my vehicle. (storage space).

And I agree with your concept here to keep things 'simple'. I do like the rod system and snap-locks which make coil swaps quicker using the coil & rod combination. I know because I've been doing that since about 1980, and you can see it if you look in my Accessory Coil Tote. Almost all optional search coils are already mounted on their own lower rod. No fussing with bolts, nuts and washers to make a coil change. In your case, if you head out to a location, or for an extended duration when you might want to use 2 or 3 coils, you simply open your vehicle, grab the coil & rod you want to use and change them.. Of course, you do need to make sure each accessory coil is charged before heading out.

In my case, if I want to maybe use 2 or 3 coils, I load them as as well. When it time for a coil change, I pen my vehicle and simply swap one Apex & coil for another Apex w/different coil. No time spent switching rods and coils around, but like you I just need to make sure the Apex is charged before I head out. About the same charging effort for either of us, and in-the-field coil changes are also 'simple.'

Yes, I carry full-size detectors w/coils and for some folks they might feel it takes up extra space. But they are smaller and lighter-weight detectors than I used to tote around like this so, for me, I am fine with it.

We just use what we enjoy and, if it works for us, that's a good thing.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Impact .. Inca .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX .. MX-5
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

More gold with the Deus Attachments

DirtDigger 292 May 01, 2021 11:46PM

Re: More gold with the Deus

Timbertodd 116 May 02, 2021 08:35PM

Kickindirt 126 May 02, 2021 06:53PM

ORX loves it even more. N/T

WM6 145 May 03, 2021 08:10AM

Of those two models, the ORX is my favorite.thumbs up

Monte 138 May 03, 2021 12:05PM

Over Charging. grinning smiley

UtahRich 144 May 04, 2021 09:15PM

An interesting view, Rich, but look at it my way.

Monte 130 May 05, 2021 10:56AM

thumbs up N/T

UtahRich 86 May 05, 2021 05:40PM

Re: Over Charging. grinning smiley Attachments

Kickindirt 258 May 05, 2021 12:17AM

The rationale was my point

UtahRich 123 May 05, 2021 11:44AM

No nightmare for me, Rich, ... And I agree about 'simplicity.'

Monte 118 May 06, 2021 12:26AM

Re: The rationale was my point

Kickindirt 112 May 05, 2021 01:29PM

OK All you Richards

Remfire 111 May 05, 2021 03:03PM

All you Richards

UtahRich 115 May 05, 2021 05:37PM

Re: Over Charging. grinning smiley

jmaryt 117 May 05, 2021 07:32AM

OregonGregg 134 May 03, 2021 07:06AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 39
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021