Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A question for Deus users who have put in time with an ORX.

August 11, 2021 05:43PM
I've had the Dues since about 2016 and picked up an ORX about 7 months ago. I feel like I know the Deus inside and out and like to tinker with the settings and have tried many combinations at various sites. When I got the ORX I used it for the first 4 months for ghost towns, relic sites and gold prospecting almost exclusively so I could get to know it.

The ORX is very simple to use and I actually prefer it over the Deus for gold nugget hunting because of it's ground balance setup. I think for coin shooting in a park (which I don't do much of) they both are probably about the same as far as depth and target separation go. But for really trashy ghost town sites and open field relic hunting I feel like the Deus has the edge. I can't really give you a setting I use at ghost towns because I usually change those at every site depending on what trash I'm encountering. I like being able to notch targets out and/or adjust tone breaks so I can ignore certain targets if they are to plentiful. Example one of the last ghost towns I visited in Nevada was active into the 60's, so there where many pull tabs located around the building foundations. To deal with them and still be able to pick out the coins and tokens I created a tone break that sounded like iron for the targets that register in the pull tab range. The coins and tokens however were a nice high tone and easily noticed. I also use reactivity of 4 at most ghost towns, the ORX is limited to 3.

For relic hunting fields, the first advantage that comes to mind that the Deus has over the ORX is the ability to change the disc settings to -6.4. This allows you to get a little more depth in mineralized soil due to it consuming the targets as they get deeper and thus sounding like iron. Now it doesn't always work in you favor, I've dug many deep iron targets that sounded good but have also dug many targets that sounded like iron in a standard program like Deus Fast but gave a good tone in my deep relic program. Being able to adjust the Silencer independently also allows for a little more depth over the ORX.

If I only had an ORX to use I could certainly get by with it. When everything is said and done I really think you would find 95% of the targets with the ORX that the Deus would find. Those 5% would be heavily masked or very deep targets,

Andrew

XP Deus-XP ORX-Minelab Equinox 800-Minelab GPX 4000-
Subject Author Views Posted

A question for Deus users who have put in time with an ORX.

Monte 131 August 10, 2021 08:31AM

GeoW 70 August 11, 2021 06:44PM

diggindeep 77 August 11, 2021 05:43PM

Kickindirt 80 August 10, 2021 09:02PM

Bigtim1973 61 August 17, 2021 11:00PM

ORX.

UtahRich 70 August 18, 2021 03:23AM

Maybe I could have clarified 'Simple'. thinking

Monte 86 August 11, 2021 01:20AM

Re: Maybe I could have clarified 'Simple'. thinking

Kickindirt 69 August 12, 2021 02:41PM

DirtDigger 113 August 10, 2021 12:57PM

A question and an answer

Remfire 96 August 10, 2021 01:07PM

Re: A question and an answer

DirtDigger 79 August 10, 2021 01:29PM

This is with the X35 coil N/T

DirtDigger 62 August 10, 2021 08:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 38
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021