Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Drew, sometimes it's just memories with the older models.

October 29, 2018 06:56AM avatar
Druid
Hi Monte,
Thanks very much for the Compass history lesson. That old Judge 2 got the best of me at 10 years old but I still like to hear about those old time machines and see them in action.
There were quite a few happenings in the industry back then, and for Compass it was a jump-in-the-race game when they started in '71 with the Klondike series and Yukon series of detectors. They could see how fast things were changing and favoring the TR market and they concentrated on the Yukon's and TR family, and soon added the TR-Discriminating Judge models. Then progressed to the VLF/Disc. design with the Relic Magnum line and this all occurred in the first four to five years they were in business.

Of them all, I still enjoy taking out some of my older favorites from time-to-time just for 'fun' and that includes my Compass Coin Hustler TR.

Druid
I was looking years ago at the Gold Scanner and Coin Scanner models when, I think, Steve and Sue Goss were trying to keep Compass afloat. Too many bad experience stories about purchasing and service caused me to not follow through with buying one. Pretty tall order for one guy and his wife to keep a detector company going.
Tough times then, and too many circuitry changes in the Scanner series, with too many internal trimmers and loose tolerance components made it even tougher. The original company was alive and had a facility and staff, and both John Earle and George Payne involved with detector engineering and fixing the glitches, and more available $$$ than Steve & Sue had after Compass closed down.

The Scanner series, based on the Vari-Filter technology, like the Gold Scanner Pro, had potential. They worked, usually, but really needed more investment in tighter tolerance components and for a more consistent production. They were, like we have seen too often in the industry, a rush-to-market before they had really been field evaluated and all corrections taken care of prior to production. Probably a good thing you didn't invest in one back then.

Druid
A machine I still would love to try is one of the Treasure Baron models that George Payne produced, they had some pretty innovative features designed into them, and the ability to add modules that enhanced their utility for various applications was pretty neat. Did you ever get your hands on one?
Cheers,
Drew.
Yes, I definitely owned a Treasure Baron outfit and liked some of the design and build quality, and George Payne's decision to select a very good mid-range 12.5 kHz, for which he did a good write-up of why he selected that multi-purpose frequency. The performance was OK, but it came at a time there was so much more happening in the industry that feature-wise it fell short of what most Hobbyists and some Avid Detectorists wanted.

I even made a lengthy drive to do a one-week course on Recreational Metal Detecting at a college in Arizona in '94 and to try to promote the Discovery Electronics line of Treasure Barons. The owners didn't follow through with their proposed compensation for my efforts and expenses, and they made a wrong marketing decision with all of the boxes of new Treasure Barons and accessories I had along with me in my vehicle.

Most attendees saw what happened, and on the last day there I sold my own new Treasure Baron and all the gear I had for it. I was finished with that soon to go-under company, and the ONLY thing I still have that is associated with them is the small 5½" Ferret Concentric coil on my modified White's Classic ID. While trying to still stay alive they were making accessory coils for Kellyco. Maybe they should have just concentrated on making after-market search coils which seems to be a very popular business adventure for some companies this past decade or two.

The Treasure Baron worked fine for Coin Hunting, but it let me and several friends down when were working along side some proven devices in several Relic Hunting applications. We wanted iron nail rejection, like we got from our Tesoro's, where we still found good non-ferrous targets in a dense iron masking environment. The Treasure Baron didn't fair well in those tests when using iron rejection.

Just another short-lived company that gave it a try during the earlier declining years of the metal detecting industry here in the USA.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

SvenS, regarding your Nokta-Makro Forum post, and detector repair questions..

Monte 118 October 24, 2018 07:06AM

Re: SvenS, regarding your Nokta-Makro Forum post, and detector repair questions..

Druid 105 October 24, 2018 09:43AM

Drew, 'Thank You' for the information.

Monte 89 October 25, 2018 02:01AM

Re: Drew, 'Thank You' for the information.

Druid 70 October 28, 2018 02:36PM

Drew, sometimes it's just memories with the older models.

Monte 69 October 29, 2018 06:56AM

Re: Drew, sometimes it's just memories with the older models.

jmaryt 66 October 29, 2018 03:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018