Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Ready for a new month of detecting, and just hoping for favorable weather.

October 31, 2018 09:24PM
We are entering our prime detecting time here in the UK,ground conditions are about the best that they can be especially after deep ploughing as this usually brings up new finds,but must admit in the last 2-3 years deep ploughing has given way too direct drilling of seed into the ground,main reason is that its a massive cost fuel wise dragging a deep plough for not alot of gain crop wise.Of course not so good for us detectorists as we rely on deep turning of the soil.

Main machine that i have been shooting from the hip this year has been a mixture of both old and new detectors,older models that i use for mainly the superb discrimination are the IDX Pro,Laser B1 and B3 these are the UK version of the older Bandido range as i understand it,one is manual and the other is fixed,if i am honest i still love using the fixed B3 version which is basically the same as one of my other cult machines the Silver Sabre 11.I also use a Laser Trident 2 Extreme this is the UK version of the Vaquero but basically on steroids ie 18khz,fixed and manual GB and other internal tweaks on audio and also the discrimination for the UK ground conditions and also our finds as well,but when connected with the NEL Snake coil becomes a deadly combination on our trashy saxon sites.

My current favourite combination is my old faithful the original green T2 from 2006/7 this is currently decked out with the ultra rare 6'' Coiltek DD coil,only about a dozen had been made,but this basically has the same characteristic as the 5'' coil but slightly more ground coverage and also slightly more depth,this T2 with small coils on ie 5'' and Nel Sharpshooter has found me more gold coins than most of my other detectors including celtic gold staters 55bc,George111 full guinea and others,i have not had the Coiltek 6'' coil long enough to find me gold as yet,but it has all ready found me some superb silver hammered coins.

Over this last couple of years have drifted away from stock size or larger coils to smaller coils,i still have a substantial amount of coils and they all have uses varying from say 4''; right upto 20'' in the case of the TDI Pro(pulse),of course the large heavy hitters as i call them are for site specific use as most of my coils are,i do have access to large pasture permissions and this is when i would use a very large coil combination as the ground conditions are pretty clear from junk and may main targets are of course deep 'large' artifact which could be a hoard which we here in the UK are pretty lucky that we have not only found in the past but i personally think we have only just touched the surface of finding them,one has too remember that we have had coinage going back say a 2000 years or so and banks are only a recent form of safe money/artifact storage.

Within the next couple of weeks we are back out again on a roman site which has produced the same silver roman coins in a very tight radius,this usually indicates one thing a pot/container hoard that has been scattered by deep ploughing and has clipped the top of the container off and keeps dragging a few more coins up after each ploughing,you can for the most part start seeing a pattern as the coins have been dragged,but as yet we have not actually located the pot/container of course a pot is not guaranteed as the coins/artifacts could have been placed in the ground in say a leather pouch or even a wooden container that has long since rotted away.

That basically is what is happening here and how i tend to detect,of course the detectors and coils that i use are seen by me as the best tools for the job,and we all adapt our detecting for the targets and ground condition in our own parts of the world,still love detecting even after all these years,the No1 one thing for me is the enjoyment factor that it brings,its a much wider thing for me than just detecting,meeting new friends,wildlife and also the exercise it gives me.

Deus and Nexus MP.

DFX,IDX Pro,TDI Pro,Crossbow Pulse,Mirage Pulse,Fisher TW-5 twin box,UK Vaquero,Arado 120b,Nexus SE mainly site specific use machines.

Every hole is like a scratch card. Usually it’s nothing. Sometimes you win a prize.
Subject Author Views Posted

Ready for a new month of detecting, and just hoping for favorable weather.

Monte 105 October 31, 2018 02:43PM

Kickindirt 55 November 02, 2018 03:54PM

OregonGregg 60 November 03, 2018 05:54AM

Kickindirt 51 November 03, 2018 04:22PM

Remfire 56 November 03, 2018 06:23PM

Heading into the home stretch

OregonGregg 65 November 01, 2018 05:17AM

'Snagging' accomplished (see White's Forum). The 11th looks favorable.

Monte 73 November 02, 2018 05:54AM

RickUK 58 October 31, 2018 09:24PM

'tis the season for UK detecting.

Monte 53 November 01, 2018 08:02AM

Timbertodd 60 October 31, 2018 07:16PM

Ample coils available, and I don't anticipate an Anfibio 'Pro Pack.'

Monte 57 November 01, 2018 06:38AM

Timbertodd 52 October 31, 2018 07:14PM

Weather; hard vs soft ground; anticipated coin recoveries.

Monte 63 November 01, 2018 03:30AM

Re: Weather; hard vs soft ground; anticipated coin recoveries.

Timbertodd 48 November 01, 2018 06:37AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018