Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Relocating means knowing which other places have potential ahead of time.

November 25, 2018 10:41AM avatar
scottwyl
Has anyone moved to be near good areas for detecting?
Yes, I have.

However, I had already lived in some of those areas before and knew the potential for them to possibly be productive ahead of the move. Many of the moves were simply relocating in the same greater metro area, around and near Portland Oregon, so regardless of which suburb or small outlaying town I was in, all the many same places were still within an easy drive to get away and enjoy a day of detecting. I was born in Ogden Utah and have spent much of my vacation travels and summer breaks in Utah and know it well. I also lived in or near there in July of '81 until July of '87, and again for two years since then.

We moved to the 'suburbs' of Portland Oregon right after I turned 10. I built my first Metal/Mineral Locators in March of '65 at 15+ years and two months later turned 16 and bought my first car on my birthday. That gave me the opportunity to drive around and put my new hobby device to work at various sites. Just 2½ years later I was back in Ogden Utah for college and soon my older brother Ed & I got our first factory produced detector, a White's Ghost Towner BFO, and the summer of '68 and on into May of '69 it opened the door to greater finds than the first three home-built units I had used.

In June of '71 I was married and bought a brand new White's 63TR on the way home from our honeymoon and we moved back to the Portland, Oregon area. Except for the short times I was back in Utah I lived in and around Portland metro area, or short periods in nearby Yamhill and McMinnville that are SW of Portland, until I went to Utah in July of '81. I returned to the town of Forest Grove, west of Portland, in June of '87 when I went to work at Compass Electronics and from then until February of '90 when I moved back to Utah.

All of those moves were to, or very close to, larger metropolitan cities, and they also occurred during the very early days of the metal detecting hobby and carried on through what I consider to be the 'peak-production era' and into when things started to trail off for urban parks and schools, and sports field and play areas.

scottwyl
It would be nice to be near a larger town with the replenished clad and occasional jewelry found near parks and school yards, ...
Yes, it would be great to be located close to larger populated areas where there is a replenishment of modern coinage.

But that's part of the problem we have these days, in that most such areas just do not see sufficient use and activity by enough people who actually carry pocket change. During the hey-day of this great outdoor sport parks and schools, public areas like parking strips and easements, etc., were loaded with an abundance of coins from decades to a couple hundred years of use across the USA. I recall the family activities of going to city parks to have picnics, play games, and just be active a lot in the '50s and '60's. While family activity declined since '70 those places still saw ample use by children of all ages and young adults making use or tot-lots, bigger person sized playgrounds, baseball, softball, football and other sports activities and other things to do

That activity was still pretty strong to about '90 and since then I have seen/still see many parks that are virtually untouched by kids, teens or adults even during the summertime. I am referring to most of the parks and schools I see in all sizes of towns and cities, from tiny to major in size. And when they are, so many parks and even schools have had their playground equipment 'dumbed-down to smaller size, colorful plastic structures that are mainly used by toddlers to very young elementary school age kids.

Bigger, serious and fun playground equipment for older folks are almost a thing of the past. And those little tikes are not carrying any change with them, either. Heck, a lot of older kids on through high school age often tell me they have little or no money in their pockets, and seldom more than $5 to $10 when I talk to them about the hobby, what I am looking for, and I ask them how much they have or usually carry.

Anyway, far fewer people with pocket money are using the sites we like to hunt to replenish what's already been found. As I said, that is true of many places but not all places. For example, in Utah there tends t be larger-size families, thus more youth. And in many Utah towns and cities I travel through I can often do very well when I want to spend some time Coin Hunting parks and schools. Many of them do have bigger-size playground equipment, and the type of use that can help generate coin loss. Plus, so many of them get used on a regular basis by a lot of people from young to a bit older.

Not everywhere because some localities seem to have fewer people or youngsters,out playing much, but overall I feel there is better coin-loss in most places there than in similar-size towns or cities in Oregon or Idaho or Nevada or .....

scottwyl
... and close enough to some nugget hunting, or possible meteorite exploring.
Gold Nugget Hunting will also call for you to be located in or very near some truly productive nugget producing locations. And it that was only occasional hunting and you wanted to mainly Coin Hunt, odds are those opportunities wouldn't be so close at hand.

scottwyl
You would also like to see old townsites.
Now, this added type of site selection can often be within a reasonable drive from living in a good-size town that would also provide more Coin Hunting opportunities to allow hunting in-town and out-of-the-way locations. Still, town selection is important because there are not always many huntable ghost towns clos to towns and cities with a lot of parks and schools and other public potential areas.

scottwyl
Myself, I am closing in on 62. I'm not getting anyplace paying on a mortgage, or retirement saving.

I have been giving serious thought of pulling the plug and becoming a detector bum.

I could go to full retirement age, but am not getting any younger, as they say.

Just curious as to anyone else pondering on this!
I am almost 8 years older than you, and due to medical limitations and an on-the-job injury I have been retired since 2010 and drawing a measly Social Security since 2012. I do not have any retirement savings, and I have considered moving, again, but to Utah. The main thing holding me back, other than lack of $$$, is my health.

I know there are far more Coin Hunting opportunities in and around the Portland Oregon area and other places down the valley in Western Oregon, but I lived there too long and I really dislike rain, lots of rain, and so many overcast and gray gloomy days. After a divorce in August of '13 I moved to the very tiny town of Arlington Oregon along the Columbia River. You know where that is, and I have to say I really enjoyed that apartment a lot.

It is a Senior and Disabled complex of only 8 brand new units they were just finishing. Very new, very roomy, and very nice. A bit windy at times, but far less wetness than off to the western side of Oregon. Very friendly people around town and the area, and the place was very affordable. There were, however, two drawback to living in Arlington:

1.. I got Miss Rikki from the pet rescue in Hermiston, about 60 miles away, and without a fenced yard it meant I had to leash her up and walk here wherever I went, and whenever she had to go.

2.. The small city park has a very small tot-lot that, once cleaned out, took about 6 months to collect 5 to 15 replenished coins. The country is almost completely private property so there were not a lot of easily accessible 'ghost towns' or other old-use sites to go detect. If I wanted to go find a town with only a small handful of tot-lots at parks and schools, or any parks that might get any use to generate coin loss, that meant driving 55-65 miles to the West to The Dalles, or 55-65 miles to the East to Stanfield or Hermiston .... and I know you're aware of what they have to offer.sad smiley

So, in October of '15 I moved here to Vale where there's a big yard for Rikki, and although we only have one park with one very lonely and unused playground, we can make some detecting jaunts to ghost towns that are 35 miles to perhaps 1½ hour drives from here, either in Oregon or Idaho, so I do have those options.

One final thought is you also need to consider the weather where you would like to live. Is it way too wet for you to enjoy? Does it get unbearably hot for much of the year, or are the winters too cold for you to enjoy? It gets difficult to find a nice place to live that is affordable and still have reasonably pleasant year-round weather.

'BigDog' might have struck on a better solution to full-scale moving, and that is to outfit yourself with a pickup & camper, or a camp trailer, or a small RV, which is what I am planning to do. I'm looking for a low-mile commercial van that I can convert to have a bed and storage for my camping tote w/Coleman stove, lantern, fuel and cooking gear, another tote for extra clothes and pother wants and needs, a few detectors, then just hit-the-road.

Either head south this time of year and be a 'snowbird' all through the wintry months, or just take some periodic detecting jaunts of a week or a few weeks at a time and go hunt a variety of sites. For me and on my limited income and no retirement, I figure it is best to have one place to call home and then work away from there on shorter trips to longer jaunts.

That works better for me as I can travel to do a few seminars in a year and get some detecting in on those travels, or just plan some detecting jaunts to more productive locations for a spell. There's no need, for me at least, to make a major move because health conditions are goi9ng to bring my detecting to a halt in the not too distant future it seems.

Just my thoughts.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Relocating to metal detect

scottwyl 98 November 24, 2018 08:41PM

Reasons to Move . . . .

Rich (Utah) 53 December 01, 2018 02:15AM

Re: Reasons to Move . . . .

NWCindy 42 December 01, 2018 11:19PM

Relocating means knowing which other places have potential ahead of time.

Monte 73 November 25, 2018 10:41AM

Re: Relocating means knowing which other places have potential ahead of time.

WM6 52 November 25, 2018 10:31PM

My thoughts on Commercial Van Outfitting? ... Keeping it Simple.

Monte 62 November 26, 2018 05:56PM

Re: Relocating to metal detect

BigDog 71 November 25, 2018 12:58AM

scottwyl 47 November 27, 2018 10:34AM

NWCindy 38 December 02, 2018 12:50AM

jmaryt 64 November 24, 2018 11:00PM

scottwyl 58 November 25, 2018 10:46PM

Scott, just catching up on replies.

Monte 47 November 27, 2018 09:09AM

NWCindy 56 November 26, 2018 07:35PM

jmaryt 56 November 26, 2018 09:08PM

NWCindy 34 December 01, 2018 11:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018