Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My thoughts on Commercial Van Outfitting? ... Keeping it Simple.

November 26, 2018 05:56PM avatar
WM6
Hi Monte

Interesting consideration.

Can you provide any link (photo) to get better idea, what exactly do you have in mind?

Thanks.
If, and I said 'IF' I had the $$$ then I would invest in a small motor home in the 18' to 20' length, then modify the inside as desired. This more 'budget oriented' shopper will do fine if I can come up with a Commercial Van, such as a Ford Econoline or Chevy Express type van, that is clean and has lower miles. Then I would have a shop install the plastic inside headliner and sideliner and insulate it.

All I need is room to haul me, Rikki, my detectors and gear and camping/eating gear and I'd be set. If I couldn't find a functional bed I would have my oldest son build one for me and I'd be good-to-go. The bed is the important part to take care of because my mobility stinks and I need to have a more comfortable bed than I used to use.

Back in '67/'68 I had a '57' VW Bus that was bare bones behind the front bench seat. No side or head liner, and nothing on the floor, either. We used to use it for delivering organs from my Dad's music store. it I had a wood-framed canvas cot that fit along the left side and was strapped in place. On top was my sleeping bag and on top of that I had a military wool blanket. (Matter-of-fact, I still have the wool blanket in the closet here in my Den.) I used to lay my rifles, shotguns and/or metal detectors on top of the cot.

Under the cot I had cardboard boxes, but wowuld use my plastic totes today. Those had clothing, food & cooking gear, lantern, stove & fuel, recovery tools and other things I wanted at the time, such as ammo, flashlights, extra batteries, etc., and I also had a smaller and handy ice chest. That gave me ample room to get inside out of the wet weather and stay warm and dry in colder weather. Get some sleep and be ready for another day of adventure.

Today I would make sure it was a little better finished on the inside, plus add a 110 AC heater. I used to travel about in that and camp a lot, but today I know some of my journeys would include spending a night at an RV Park to make use of their facilities and AC power.

Just something that is 'Simple,' 'Functional, and provides the 'Performance and Provisions' to meet my needs to get away from home for several days of enjoyment.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Relocating to metal detect

scottwyl 102 November 24, 2018 08:41PM

Reasons to Move . . . .

Rich (Utah) 55 December 01, 2018 02:15AM

Re: Reasons to Move . . . .

NWCindy 44 December 01, 2018 11:19PM

Relocating means knowing which other places have potential ahead of time.

Monte 76 November 25, 2018 10:41AM

Re: Relocating means knowing which other places have potential ahead of time.

WM6 54 November 25, 2018 10:31PM

My thoughts on Commercial Van Outfitting? ... Keeping it Simple.

Monte 65 November 26, 2018 05:56PM

Re: Relocating to metal detect

BigDog 74 November 25, 2018 12:58AM

scottwyl 55 November 27, 2018 10:34AM

NWCindy 41 December 02, 2018 12:50AM

jmaryt 68 November 24, 2018 11:00PM

scottwyl 60 November 25, 2018 10:46PM

Scott, just catching up on replies.

Monte 51 November 27, 2018 09:09AM

NWCindy 61 November 26, 2018 07:35PM

jmaryt 58 November 26, 2018 09:08PM

NWCindy 34 December 01, 2018 11:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018