Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

READING ... Great for Research and Relaxation.

December 19, 2018 08:45AM avatar
For some folks this is an okay season to get out detecting, but for many of us it is winter, and that translates to down-time, cabin-fever, and wondering how to spend our time when we can't get out detecting. Before I got started with my first metal / Mineral Locator I had already started doing some research simply because I had an interest in the pioneering era and the settlement of the West (as in the Western n USA). I was 14 going on 15 when I got all caught up in a couple of books about pioneers heading into Utah as well as those headed to Oregon.

I not only read about history, I took notes about specific locations or events. Being outdoors was far more enjoyable than hanging out indoors, but that was kind of what it was like for many of us back-when, not being distracted by little gadgets to tinker with and teach us nothing. Hunting since I was 8 and joining my Dad of fishing jaunts younger than that came in a distant second, but often our travels took us places that had old structures and spoke of history gone by. Researching with books and older maps kind of brought things back to life, at least in my vivid mind, and I was encouraged by many of the older western movies we used to enjoy. I found myself wishing I could have visited the past to enjoy 'the-way-things-were'.

Many magazines of the era had a lot of small ads in them and one that caught my eyes were those about Metal / Mineral Locators and they really got me wondering if they really worked, how they worked, and what might be out there in those desolate places just waiting to be discovered. Fast forward a year or so to early 1965 and I had a home-built 'Locator' kit that I incorporated with my research, and mixed it in a bit with my visions of interest and imagination.

Research continued, augmented by learning more about what these contraptions are and how they work, with a healthy mix or where to take them. Learning about metal detectors and how to get the most out of them was the easier part to do and keep up on. Finding new and different places to go use them, that's the tougher thing to accomplish ... and it is a never ending effort, or should be, on our part.

Books and maps, especially older books and older maps, have been very useful for me, and if we learn how to get these blasted computer gadgets to work, they are also helpful and bring a lot of the reading right to our home. No need to make a trip to the Library, at last quite as often.

Now, if you want to really enjoy some additional reading, you can get a book related to metal detecting and the different applications such as going after coins or jewelry or relics. And if you want some very interesting enjoyment, that is both entertaining and educational, I encourage you to visit Stout Standards which is a terrific read. Information from others, info about others, and a wealth of good nature and insight from Dick Stout who has been involved in, and contributed a lot to, this great industry.

If you're cooped up due to winter's arrival or just want to enjoy some evening hours after a day afield, I encourage you to set aside a reasonable amount of reading time. It can be helpful in many ways.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Nokta-Makro:(3), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(4), White's:(1), XP:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

READING ... Great for Research and Relaxation.

Monte 194 December 19, 2018 08:45AM

Winter Plans - Thin the herd / Research / Cleaning / Eqpt Check / Study

UtahRich 141 December 19, 2018 10:43PM

It looks like you're keeping busy, but .... confused smiley

Monte 142 December 19, 2018 11:26PM

I have lots of plans in the works. We'll see what 2019 brings us. . . .

UtahRich 139 December 20, 2018 12:40AM

Re: READING ... Great for Research and Relaxation. the Monte thread is interestingthumbs up

Hombre 143 December 19, 2018 11:52AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018