Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Letter of the Law versus Re-Interpretation of the Law?

January 01, 2019 04:52PM
I pride myself on following rules and regulations. I have print outs of the Mining Law, Antiquities Act, BLM regulations, State Regulations and Forestry Regulations on mining, collecting, ect. I have a book on historic registered locations and sites which are cataloged and of anthropological interest (eg off limits). There is a lot of mis-information out there and having the actual laws with me is nice, although honestly I have never had need to produce them or explain myself.

I was on BLMs site for the new year, and noticed they have a new collecting PDF. It now mentions it is now illegal to collect coins older than 100 years old? The state is saying coins over 50 years old are relics? Yet the Antiquities act says coins are not of archaeological interest unless directly linked to a historic site. There older information related the finding of coins and jewelry was ok (I still have the print-out).

The State owned land (not State Park sites), new release states you can no longer dig, collect, mine, prospect, ect. Some of my better marine fossil sites and rock hounding sites are on state land and are well known collecting sites.

There is a BLM track north of me that is a great gold prospecting location and legal per the mining law of 1872. BLM is trying to stop or restrict prospecting at the site because of old mining in the area (no claims), although it is not a designated historic site. Mining has always been legal at the site.

When did this re-interpretation of existing laws start and where will it stop. I am frustrated at the constant bombardment of regulations and over-stepping by government. I work for the state and the amount of laws on the books is ridiculous and honestly un-enforceable. They let the majority of violent and property violations go ignored, but have to address people having fun and enjoying what public land has to offer?

What is everyone's take on all this? I enjoy heading out on public land and prospecting, looking for old coins and jewelry, and exploring. I really doubt anything has changed and think it is only an issue if it is an issue (collecting and selling, indian sites, destruction of resources). The laws are to protect our historic sites and past, especially native american sites. I here more and more rumors of the cited bottle collector, the harassed detectorist, ect. but can not find any facts past the rumors. I find it easy to follow the letter of the law, but it is this constant re-interpretation and over-stepping of the original laws that makes it hard to understand and follow.
Subject Author Views Posted

Letter of the Law versus Re-Interpretation of the Law?

Fish N Chips 66 January 01, 2019 04:52PM

Re: Letter of the Law versus Re-Interpretation of the Law?

zincoln 43 January 01, 2019 09:49PM

Remfire 40 January 01, 2019 04:59PM

Fish N Chips 46 January 01, 2019 08:00PM

DesertRokon 35 January 01, 2019 11:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018