Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Couple Parks with the Anfibio

January 07, 2019 08:15PM
Took advantage of a break in the weather and hit a couple old parks.

First park was an 1870s railway depot/blacksmith shop/stock yard. It is full of iron trash and nails. I tried my 7" concentric but it was even too trashy for that, likely due to the very wet and saturated ground creating more falsing than normal. My Tesoros normally do ok, but I did not take one to compare in the wet conditions. The 5" coil did pretty well, although I had to set the tone break at 20 to stop some of the iron nail falsing. Gain was 80, 3 tone, discrim 3, and 20 kHz. Nothing great but some tack rivets, bits of copper, a few clad coins and nickles (oldest nickle was 1949). The 5" coil did well and I only dug a couple aluminum and bottle caps. I tend to dig iffy signals at this park due to the amount of iron. There was a bit more can slaw than normal but it was all jumpy signals. The Anfibio really locks on to coins, I have yet to have a really jumpy signal be a coin.

Next park dates to around 1900. I worked with the 11" coil as it is not too trashy, although bottle caps can be a problem. 4 tone was too noisy and jumpy tone and TID (not much EMI in the area, maybe the wet ground again?), so I settled on 3 tone, gain 90-94, discrim 3, and 14 kHz. I tried using 5 kHz for a bit but the bottle caps falsed pretty bad in the lower frequency, the 14 kHz handled them better. Sink rate in this park must be really fast, I dig 2000s clad coins at 6-7 inches in some spots. I dug a jumpy signal state quarter at 8". I started chasing some very deep whisper signals that jumped to a mid to high tone with no TID, but they all turned out to be ring pull tabs. They were very deep, ranging 10-12 inches (measured). I was hoping deep silver but no luck. I am wondering if the older coins have simply sunk past detectable range in this park, it borders a creek and the soil is very loamy/soft and well watered even in the summer.

I keep hoping to learn the tricks to find that old deep silver in the parks but just am not having luck. I get plenty of clad, older junk rings and Victorian costume jewelry but no old coins. Eventually I will figure it, but it is something to do until I can make it back to my old sites in the hills.
Subject Author Views Posted

A Couple Parks with the Anfibio

Fish N Chips 170 January 07, 2019 08:15PM

You had a good time getting out, is seems, ...

Monte 131 January 08, 2019 09:29AM

Re: You had a good time getting out, is seems, ...

Fish N Chips 107 January 08, 2019 11:54AM

The ± 5" Search Coils can really be beneficial.

Monte 114 January 10, 2019 01:26PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018