Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Be careful about search coil selection.

February 10, 2019 06:38PM avatar
The past few days, in my assortment of phone calls, PM's and e-mails, I have been tackling a search coil & detector topic that seems to surface about this time each year. Going from winter into spring it seems like people have read printed articles or on-line forums and decided they ought to get a search coil or two other than the only coil they have, the stock coil that came on their detector. But here are some of the common issues that seem to come up when I get these contacts and questions, often wondering why a coil doesn't work at all, or doesn't seem to work properly:

Some people think that all search coils can work on all metal detectors, regardless of brand. Nope, not going to happen.

Some people think that all coils for a 15 kHz detector work on any other 15 kHz detector. Nope, very seldom. At times, Yes, but most often, No, they won't. A 15 kHz Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus and a 15 kHz Nokta FORS CoRe do not share the same coils.

Often they think that any search coil of 'Brand G' will work on any other model from 'Brand G.' Once again, incorrect. A Nokta CoRe and Nokta Relic look alike, and both have the same search coil connectors and plugs, but you can't switch the search coils of the 15 kHz CoRe and 19 kHz Relic and have them work. They fit, but won't work.

Some think similar operating frequency models might interchange, but a 19 kHz Troy Custom Shadow X3 or X5 doesn't share search coils with a 19 kHz Nokta Relic.

Often people think that all Double-D coils are elliptically-shaped and all Concentric coils are round-shaped, which is another incorrect presumption.

There is a misunderstanding that one type of coil, such as a DD, is always going to work better on any detector for certain applications, such as separating close targets, picking good targets out of iron nails, handling higher mineralized ground, etc., etc. Also, incorrect because the size of the coil, the physical design of the coil, and, very importantly, the circuitry design of the metal detector will/can make a significant difference in performance.'

And another is, many people do not think a smaller-size search coil can provide adequate depth-of-detection for most typical search environments. Again, that's often not correct. Naturally, it will depend on the search coil size and type, but especially critical is what metal detector it is used on and the settings the operator chooses. The detector models I use, and the smaller coils I keep mounted, tend to provide very functional detection depth in a wide range of site environments.

I encourage anyone to make sure their detector set-up has at least two search coils that can complement each other, and to give serious consideration of a smaller-than-stock coil before opting for a larger-than-stock coil. Trust me, the advantages are definitely going to be in your favor. Just shop for the right size and type search coil that can make a good 'fit' in your arsenal for the types of sites you search and the targets ... good and bad ... that you'll be looking for or dealing with.

Just some late-winter thoughts.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(2), Tesoro:(2)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Be careful about search coil selection.

Monte 59 February 10, 2019 06:38PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018