Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A 'tabman' request from a different forum: My thoughts on the Teknetics T2+.

February 14, 2019 10:02AM avatar
tabman, I read your request on a different-topic thread and, since I only made one post on that thread and said it would be my only reply and I was done, I simply did a cut-and-paste of the important comments and questions you made to answer here.

I'll share what thoughts I have at this point since the T2+ just arrived almost a week ago and we're dealing with the annoyance of winter that returned. It looked like we were going to get an early spring like we did last year when I was out hunting almost daily starting January 12th. Unfortunately, for me, we had a very cold and dreary wintry January, but Oregon Gregg and I finally got out for our first hunt on the 28th, worked in a few hours on the 29th, then got frozen on the 30th. Since then we've had colder weather return with thunderstorms, a lot of rain, high and gusting winds and snow. A brief warm-up has been accompanied by a lot of rain, but a turn-about will bring us colder weather again by the weekend.

We might not have detectable weather until late February to mid-March. So the only evaluation I'm able to do with the T2+ has been indoors or out in my 12X20 enclosed metal woodshed. All the open ground in the center area provides me a way to do some on-ground/in-ground evaluations while staying out of the wet, cold and windy weather. I've used this enclosed area for a couple of years now with a few 'test garden' targets and to set up other 'test scenarios' in order to get some side-by-side performance results. I evaluate all detectors for performance 'on-their-own' to see how they appear to perform, but I get much more useful information with side-by-side comparisons with competitive detectors and/or search coils.

I keep my T2+ at the ready with only the small 5" DD coil. That's the coil size I have used probably 98% of the time with any of the T2's I have owned and it works very well, especially for the bulk of the places I enjoy hunting. I am not unfamiliar with the T2, either. I started using a T2 when it was released back in 2006, and now, over a dozen years later, I have owned the 'original', a Ltd. version and few 'Classic' units and now the T2+.

A few 'favorites' float through from time-to-time and I enjoy working them along with my Regular-Use Detector Outfit of, give-or-take, a dozen of my favorite detectors to have on-hand for all sorts of applications, from tot-lots to typical urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting in grassy parks and sports fields, to my long-enjoyed early-era Relic Hunting sites.

The #1 reason I acquire certain detectors is because I know them well, and like them because they have proven their self afield. Often in specific site applications and some as more general-purpose units. I start my 55th year of detecting next month and there have been many times I have sold or traded a favorite detector just to evaluate something new to see if there is anything that impresses me. I am not always, or easily, impressed with the features, balance, comfort or performance from a detector and I get rid of them ... often reacquiring a former known, proven and enjoyable detector.

tabman
Some of the best performing detectors aren't all that fun to use and I detect to have a good time so I use detectors that are both effective and fun to use.
And as I closed my last comment you'll see they fit the same reasons you just described. I own what I own and use what I use because I know them and they have proven performance to satisfy most of my wants and needs PLUS they are enjoyable to use. Yes, there are some very good detectors on the market that are enjoyed by others, but just don't seem to 'click' with me. I might not like the color, looks, audio, battery system, physical packaging, control features, response and recovery, and so on.

I search a lot of very challenging old-use places where nails and dense iron are annoying. In many of them the T2's have worked okay, but when the iron density gets really bad, I prefer to use my Nokta Relic and then Nokta CoRe. They have been unmatched in tough iron conditions. But I have a lot of 'fun' hunting other places where the nails are not too close and other ferrous debris is sparse and have enjoyed many of my detector favorites, and that is why I added the T2+ back into my current Outfit. I like it, it works extremely well, it is very comfortable, simple-to-use and not complicated, and the quick-response capability is about unmatched. My CoRe and Relic come very, very close, but the T2+ is just a wee bit faster, and, like I said, 'fun' to use.

tabman
I can't wait to read Monte's honest thorough opinion about the Teknetics T2+ because it's on my radar to purchase. If someone has a good used one for sale, shoot me a PM.

tabman
ALL detectors have their own strong points and weak points. None of them are 'perfect.' I have a decent assortment of detectors in my Outfit which I know well but am always learning more about their behavior so as to take advantage of their strengths for different site needs. Perhaps it might be best to share my opinions of why I have enjoyed using the various Teknetics' models since introduced about 13 years ago, and why I like the T2+ for some of my hunting needs.

The T2 was one of the better units I used when hunting in heavy iron nail contaminated sites, plus those that are even more of a challenge with other ferrous debris, and that was using the 5" DD coil. I am not a fan of the 11" BiAxial coil and just kept the 5" DD attached most of the time. That combination was my primary-use Relic Hunting set-up until it was replaced by a much better iron handling Nokta FORS CoRe in January of '15. I did a lot of side-by-side comparing of the T2 'Classic' I was using against the FORS CoRe with the small 4.7X5.2 DD 'OOR' coil in both Test Scenarios and out in-the-field searches with known dense iron contamination and the CoRe was the winner in that regard.

And where it came in a very close 2nd Place was in recovery speed. I've reacquired a couple of T2's since, both another 'Classic' and an SE to compare them against other newcomers to include the Nokta FORS Relic and White's MX-7. And again, the Teknetics model was the clear winner in the response-and-recovery time when dealing with accepted targets in close association. The Nokta Relic, like the CoRe are also excellent performers in the speed of separation-and-response on accepted targets, and both basically tie for 2nd Place as the T2's are just so impressively fast.

Now, it's easy for me to just say that, but I made a permanent test strip that I laid on my floor at home, with the typical iron nails in the floor, and have checked out every model I own. Oregon Gregg stopped by Tuesday and I asked him to give it a try. He worked through the different detectors I had set out in my living room on a table, and got to the Relic and CoRe, which he also uses in those very tough environments we hunt, and he was impressed at the quick response and recovery. Once satisfied that he was impressed with the CoRe and Relic that we both use, I had him grab the T2+ w/5" DD and use the same setting of 2+ Tones. As he slowly increased the sweep speed over the test strip to the point where it out-sped the CoRe and Relic, I told him that was one of the reasons why I like this Teknetics model. At least one of the reasons.

Let me describe the Test Strip I used. It wasn't a series of smaller-size targets like a Dime, and they were not placed at 6" apart, or 4", or even 3" between them. Nope, it is a tough challenge for any make or model and I used 7 targets that from center-to-center cover 12". Not apart, but all 7 keeper targets in 1 foot! I had some Trade Tokens I had found that were sitting here on my desk so I used them. They are all very close to the size of a US 5¢ coin, higher-conductive brass type, and I placed them on the wooden 12" paint stirring stick as follows:

Token #1 with the center right along the '0' mark. Token #2 centered at the 2" mark, #3 centered at the 4" mark, #4 centered at the 6" mark, #5 is centered at the 8" mark, Token #6 is centered at the 10" mark and Token #7 is centered at the 12" mark. That means ½ of Token #1 and #7 are half-on and half-off the 12" ruler at either end..

Because the Trade Tokens can vary in their diameter, there is a slight difference between each Token. From edge-to-edge, the distance between them is only about 1⅛", and that is an example of a pretty tough response-and-recovery test. So the T2+ with small coil has a solid place in performance for me in many average sites where a lot of the trash targets might be close together but are all accepted targets and we are not dealing with recovery from Discriminated or rejected targets. This quick-recovery performance is typical of all versions in this model line.

While discussing the T2+ Audio Response let me also share my preferences for Tone selection. Seldom, and I mean very seldom, do I like to use a high number of audio Tones for Tone ID. The White's XLT's Tone ID feature is an exception to that rule and I do like to use an XLT w/Tone ID probably 95% of the time. Aside from that, my preference, with most selectable detector models, is to rely on a '2+' Tone audio when the bulk of the annoying trash is nails and similar wire iron, or a lot of closely-located targets to get better separation. Or '3' Tone to help audibly classify some mid-range non-ferrous trash from higher-conductive desirables such as most US Coins and Trade Tokens. Those are targets I am especially after.

Those are my two most-used audio mode choices, and the 3rd most-used choice, now on the T2+, is the 'bP' (Boost Process) option which is similar to the '2+' Tone but the 'boost' function relies on a slightly slower sweep speed to help provide a little better depth of detection. This is handy, for me, when working a plowed field, open rangeland, or out in a large grassy park when those locations have a sparse amount of offending trash and targets are well spaced and incidental encounters.

With any of the T2's I never use the '3b' (3-Tone to help with Bottle Caps) or 'dP' (Delta Pitch multi-tone) as I don't need them and personally find them annoying. On occasion I will use the '1' or '1+' Tone function and now-and-then toy with '4' Tone, but usually just for a few minutes then it is back to '3' Tone.

Other Strong Point of Operation:

The T2+ easily fits my three important requirements of being 'Simple' and 'Functional' while providing 'Performance.' That was the first thing that struck me when I first saw a T2 at introduction at a show in 2006. One side-knob on the battery and speaker housing under the arm cup, One toggle trigger with the typical Ground Grab / Search /Pinpoint positions, and Two, only TWO, controls on the display face that are easily accessed with the thumb of the hand holding the device. Just a Push-Button to select the three mode functions for All Metal or three for Discrimination, and a Knob to adjust the setting level for each function.

A very 'Simple' and quick method to get the detector in action at any site, and only useful, 'Functional' features to eliminate a lot of messing around or excessive 'tinkering' like many detectors seem to confuse folks with, and once the unit is turned on, set-up as desired and you are quickly into the hunt, the 'Performance' of the T2+ is most often very satisfying. The audio response, either by speaker or headphone use, is also very nice and clear, and loud enough for me with my hearting impairment, and that's naturally a very good thing to be able to discern the audio of shallow, mid-range and deeper located targets.

Strong Points of the Physical Design:

Let me start of with the fact it is one of the best-balanced metal detectors I have ever used. Balance and 'feel' combine to provide us with comfort and control for a longer search period without fatigue. Important as we start adding more years and physical abilities aren't like they used to be. One of the key points to make this such a comfortable device is the excellent, very well engineered grip. They use the T2 grip on the Teknetics Omega 8000/8500 and G2/G2+ models as well which make them feel great which means handling is also at-its-best when afield.

Another strong point is the rod lengths and adjustment holes in the middle rod. The upper curved rod with the hand-grip and control isn't too long. Because of that, the middle adjustment rod (with the holes for the lower-rod's spring clip) is closer to the handle and that allows the lower rod to have a longer-range of adjustment settings. That's great for being able to adjust to people of different heights, allowing shorter stature people to use a higher-end performance detector that is also comfortable. It also makes it better for being able to shorten the lower rod so the device can easily rest on the back seat and fit between the back doors which some of my detectors couldn't do in some vehicles I've had, such as the Ford Sport Track pick-up.

In addition to the solid and 'functional' rod system and excellent grip, they located the Headphone jack at the ear of the device where it is the most logical location to be.thumbs up Just below the Headphone jack is the battery compartment, and it was really good to see this device is powered by only 4 AA Alkaline batteries. At the time of introduction of this series, many of the competitor's offerings required 8 AA batteries ... and still do. And finally, atop the rear battery & speaker housing is the Arm Cup. The good points about this feature is that it is a very comfortable wider and taller design. That's mostly a good thing because in late fall when we start to wear long-sleeved shirts and sweaters, and transition to coats as it gets colder on through winter, then back into the light jacket or sweater in spring, the armcup is one of the roomiest and most comfortable designs for those with larger-size forearms and/or the wearing of heavier clothing.

What About Weak Points?:

Naturally that will vary from individual to individual, but here are the three things that fit this group for me.

#1.. The last discussed Arm Cup's benefit of being wider and deeper than most of the competition is great for those with over-size forearms and all the rest of use who wear heavier clothing in the cooler fall and spring seasons or the bundle-up huntable days during winter. But for many, when warmer weather arrives and we're in a thin long-sleeved shirt or wreathing short sleeves, that roomy arm cup really can be. At times it seems too roomy and even with a good grip and adjusting the arm cup fore or aft to the most comfortable position, it can feel a bit 'loose.' The metal arm cup can be bent inward, as some do, to try and produce a little snugger feel, but I will never do that since I pamper all my detectors and gear.

Personally, I don't have a real problem with it other than the first twenty to thirty minutes of transition from hunting with a coat or jacket to bare-arming the device, then I am comfortable enough with it.

#2.. This model has never featured a slotted Arm Cup like many/most brand s and models do for the use of an Arm Cup Strap. There is an accessory strap offered by the manufacturer, and, for many. this is probably not a real issue, but for some folks it would be nice if the T2+ came with an Arm Strap which would counter the effects of the bigger-than-normal size of the Arm Cup opening. Like I said, I don't have a problem with these units, but I also like to use Arm Cup Straps on most of my other brands and models.

#3.. I have never been a fan of the 11" BiAxial (another term for Double-D) search coil. They looked kind of ugly to me when I first saw them and they haven't looked better over time. The Nokta & Makro 7X11 DD coils are sort of similar, not quite as ugly, but I very seldom use any of them. I have the 11" BiAxial for the T2+, the same looking 11" BiAxial for a Teknetics Omega 8K, Fisher F44, and the 7X11 DD's for the Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic and they ALL stay 'cuddled up' together in my Accessory Coil Tote.

I spend the bulk of my detecting time in moderately to heavily littered places that often abound in ferrous debris so the biggest search coil I have on any of my Regular-Use Detectors are a round 7" Concentric on a Fisher F44 and on an Omega 8000 for typical urban Coin Hunting, and one CoRe and one Relic have their own 5X9½ DD open-frame coils mounted for either urban Coin Hunting or for my Relic Hunting sites that have a low to modest amount of junk to deal with. I just never use the 'standard' search coil. Yes, they can work, but not for my in most places I like to hunt.

Those are the three main things that I might consider to be negative points about the T2+. Because I have an Outfit with several detectors I usually have them equipped with a coil I like to use the most and on this unit it is the 5" DD. One thing I do like about the 5" DD is that it is a white-colored search coils and I like that because it lets me visually track the search coil's movement and coverage in the brushier environments I seem to end up at where weeds, dense vegetation and sage brush often are in the way and I need to work a search coil in, under and around them. I am considering adding another search coil to my gear and that will be the white-colored 10" elliptical coil for this model. I like the balance, feel and the coverage and performance of these mid-sized coils more than the 'standard' coils.

That's really about all I can say, good and bad, about the T2+, other than it is also 'good' to have it added back into by detector group as more of a 'general-purpose' detector that's handy for both the rural, older, iron-challenged places as well as for the daily urban coin-producing locations, too. In the urban places I prefer the 3-Tone most because I am mainly Coin & Jewelry Hunting and this model works well for me and is a complement to my Omega 8000 and F44 for rounding up as much modern change as possible along with the early era mintages that seem to still be hiding in amongst the newer stuff.

Monte

PS: I forgot to mention my usual settings. Disc. mode I usually run the Sensitivity at '99' and reduce it only if I have EMI challenges. Disc. is almost always at the default '10' because I like to hear common iron nails and some iron. As mentioned, in urban applications it is '3' Tone as a rule, Around old building tear-downs when nails seem to be more in abundance I opt for 2+, and in less targeted areas where masking isn't an issue and I can hunt for deeper-positioned targets I use the bP Tone.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(2), Tesoro:(2), White's:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

A 'tabman' request from a different forum: My thoughts on the Teknetics T2+.

Monte 123 February 14, 2019 10:02AM

Re: A 'tabman' request from a different forum: My thoughts on the Teknetics T2+.

tabman 85 February 14, 2019 03:48PM

Back to you, tabman.

Monte 82 February 14, 2019 04:14PM

Teknetics T2+ / Fisher F75+

Rich (Utah) 74 February 14, 2019 12:53PM

A brief comparison / opinions about the Fisher F75+.

Monte 72 February 14, 2019 03:55PM

Re: A 'tabman' request from a different forum: My thoughts on the Teknetics T2+.

RickUK 83 February 14, 2019 10:54AM

Have to agree, Rick, the T2's are simple. comfortable and efficient.thumbs up N/T

Monte 99 February 14, 2019 11:19AM

Re: Have to agree, Rick, the T2's are simple. comfortable and efficient.thumbs up

Digstrashtomuch 74 February 14, 2019 01:16PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018