Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

John, I enjoy every detector in my current Outfit ... but none of them are 'perfect.'

February 17, 2019 08:18PM avatar
I enjoy them because I know them pretty well, and to really know them and understand how they can best sever me in a variety of applications, I need to know their strengths, but also understand their weaknesses when ti comes to certain site challenges or ability to be used for specific 'specialty' type applications.

Because this thread is on the General Metal Detecting Forum there's no need to try and be brand specific so I can, and will, openly share my opinions regarding in-the-field performance.

jmaryt
this is amazing!..i knew that the t2 was good in the 'crap' but i now know how good it is in the t2+ version.
Time for definitions. ALL of the Teknetics T2 models, including the T2+, will handle trashy conditions about equal. There's no definition I can find for "in the 'crap" so I'll insert mown clarification here:

The T2+ and other T2 variants, especially when using the small 5" DD coil, can work reasonably well in 'average' trashy sites associated with many urban site conditions, to include: Around picnic areas and other modern high-use sites where there might be an abundance of non-ferrous targets where these models can provide exceptional close-target separation. They can also work better than many 'average' Coin Hunting models in places with a low-to-moderate abount of nails and other ferrous debris.

lf I know I am going to be in amongst a lot of nails and other ferrous debris and rusty tin, the two best models I have for handling dense iron and unmasking well are the Nokta FORS Relic and FORS CoRe with their smaller 5" range DD coils.

jmaryt
back in '07 i owned an f-75 and it damn near drove me nuts (my wife says i AM nuts) with the "chatter" from (e.m.i.) environments, and also anywhere else "urban" as well. i give up on it, never really realizing it's potential.
Yes, EMI can often cause a lot of frustration, and unfortunately many average Coin & Jewelry Hunting locations in an urban environment are going to be more prone to EMI interference. It calls for patience, site selection, coil choice, settings, etc.

Generally, a standard to larger-size search coil might be more prone to EMI than a smaller-size search coil, so coil selection is important. Site selection can also play a major roll in bigger cities. Where I used to live, in the Portland Oregon metro area, there were quite a few sites I found that caused little or no EMI later in the evening or on a weekend, but were almost unhuntable with many detectors on weekdays, simply due to EMI in the area.

jmaryt
if i am correct, and all indications seem to point in that direction, what "gardiner, and johnson" have done to this equipment in the intervening years is nothing short of "miraculous".
I haven't noticed any progressive enhancements along the way, and they haven't corrected some of the weaknesses in design that I know of. The 'new' T2+ is basically nothing more than the handsome green T2 'Classic' with the added 'bP' or Boost Process mode enhancement.

Overall they haven't really changed, they are just very good at what they can do well.

jmaryt
apparently it can be run at 99 sensitivity with virtually zero effect from (e.m.i.)
I happen to run the Sensitivity at '99' on my T2+. I also have my start-up Sensitivity saved at the maximum of '20' on my Fisher F44's, I start the Omega 8000 up at '99,' and my Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic units are saved to turn-on at '99' in their Di3 three-tone mode, or at '95' in any of their Di2 two-tone modes. I manually adjust my two Tesoro models to their maximum Sensitivity setting at turn-on.

Because I mainly hunt old sites that are rural and not too close to the EMI issues found in towns and cities, I can often continue to hunt with those high or maximum Sensitivity settings. However, that's where I start them, and if necessary I will reduce the Sensitivity if they are unstable at the higher settings.

This is a personal preference I have used for over fifty years, and I prefer that to starting with a lower setting and then slowly increasing it a little at a time to find out if there is any unstable behavior or not.

jmaryt
monte, as you have pointed out with your most interesting evaluations, is just how "fast" the 5" dd coil ,and t2+ is in the junk. appreciate you taking the time to properly "test" all this equipment.
I enjoy evaluating any and all detectors I can, and yes, indeed, the small 5" DD coil on my T2+ provides me with exceptional response and recovery that I can put to use in many of the more littered modern-era Coin Hunting locations. Where foil and other lower-conductive non-ferrous junk is present, or on occasional brushes with low to moderate iron litter that's not too dense.

As I stated, the T2+ and 5" DD are very quick when dealing with non-ferrous ACCEPTED targets in close proximity.

If I am going to work in and amongst a lot of nails and other dense ferrous trash and rusty tin, I will grab the two best detectors I have for handling iron and unmasking desirable targets, and those are the Nokta FORS Relic and FORS CoRe with their own smaller 5 inchish DD coils.

jmaryt
(f.t.) has greatly improved these 'flag ship" units, and now thanks to your very interesting results, i am aware of just how really good they are..thanks for the enlightenment.
The Teknetics T2 series and Fisher F75 series are, without hesitation, the 'flagship' models in their current product lines. But they are a bit aged, and while they work pretty well, they could use a new up-scale model to provide better performance in iron, have a backlighted display, and certainly an Iron Audio Volume would be more than welcome.

Going to the Ltd. version and such there were "enhancements" as you state, just like adding the 'bP' function to make a T2+, but otherwise it's not like they made a lot of series performance enhancements to get to where we are today.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(4), White's:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

t2+ vs. f44

jmaryt 165 February 15, 2019 06:21PM

T2+ and F44 Q&A time ... But it left me a little puzzled.thinking

Monte 147 February 16, 2019 02:15PM

Re: T2+ and F44 Q&A time ... But it left me a little puzzled.thinking

WM6 104 February 17, 2019 12:58AM

The Omega 8500 .. my detector budget .. my interest level.

Monte 114 February 17, 2019 06:48AM

Re: The Omega 8500 .. my detector budget .. my interest level.

tabman 102 February 18, 2019 08:06AM

You jogged my memory and helped with my conclusion.

Monte 90 February 20, 2019 06:16AM

Re: T2+ and F44 Q&A time ... But it left me a little puzzled.thinking

jmaryt 104 February 16, 2019 03:50PM

j.t., and reply to clear up my answer about separation and unmasking.

Monte 95 February 17, 2019 06:28AM

Re: j.t., and reply to clear up my answer about separation and unmasking.

jmaryt 100 February 18, 2019 01:46PM

j.t., not quqite, but it depends on how close and how much.

Monte 86 February 19, 2019 04:26AM

Re: j.t., not quqite, but it depends on how close and how much.

jmaryt 97 February 19, 2019 09:54AM

Almost, but not with a tough iron challenge.

Monte 104 February 19, 2019 05:27PM

Re: Almost, but not with a tough iron challenge.

jmaryt 91 February 19, 2019 06:21PM

Re: j.t., and reply to clear up my answer about separation and unmasking.

jmaryt 107 February 17, 2019 01:46PM

John, I enjoy every detector in my current Outfit ... but none of them are 'perfect.'

Monte 95 February 17, 2019 08:18PM

Re: John, I enjoy every detector in my current Outfit ... but none of them are 'perfect.'

jmaryt 105 February 17, 2019 11:39PM

My Teknetics and Fisher regarding EMI noise and separation.

Monte 98 February 18, 2019 01:15AM

Re: My Teknetics and Fisher regarding EMI noise and separation.

jmaryt 96 February 18, 2019 05:07PM

tabman 115 February 18, 2019 05:21PM

'Thank You' for the T2+ information.thumbs up

Monte 102 February 19, 2019 04:34AM

Re: 'Thank You' for the T2+ information.thumbs up

tabman 95 February 19, 2019 08:55AM

Re: 'Thank You' for the T2+ information.thumbs up

jmaryt 107 February 19, 2019 10:04AM

jmaryt 97 February 18, 2019 11:50PM

D&P-OR 113 February 18, 2019 06:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018