Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Holding Hands with the Devil -

February 24, 2019 11:53AM avatar
Kickindirt,

Like others, I've been watching XP with a curious eye since they hit the US of A market years ago. I've had some reservations, mostly because of not being familiar with the company and product and partly over my creature habits of feeling comfortable with things already familiar to me. The Deus was/is very different from the Minelab FBS machine I was using at the time. Wireless Coil, Wireless Headphones, Wireless control module, Rechargeable battery for the Coil, Rechargeable battery for the headphones, Rechargeable batter for the Control Module. An itsy bitsy, cell sized control module with a myriad of settings as well. I may just as well hold hands with the devil and leap off the Eiffel Tower. grinning smiley (Some would say I was already dancing with the devil as I was using a Minelab! LOL)

Well, it is years later, 2017, and Monte got me started using rechargeable wireless headphones with my Racer 2. I have to admit, I really like the convenience of 'losing' that cable. No more getting it caught on sagebrush, trees and bushes. No more kneeling on it as I recover a target. No more untangling from the arm cup. I just had to remember to recharge the headset on occasion. Can I do that?

The 'Be Prepared' side of me whispered the wireless/rechargeable headphones could always fail. I could forget to recharge them. However, the Racer 2 readily accepts a regular old corded pair of headphones in a moment if needed. So I'm covered. This is no biggie since I bring a spare pair of headphones along if I am any significant distance from home. This step was an easy one for me. Rechargeable and wireless headphones - check off both.

In 2018 I took another step away from things I'm comfortable and familiar with and bought an Equinox 800 with wireless rechargeable headphones AND a built in rechargeable battery system for the control unit. I've used on-board rechargeable battery systems since 1985 when I bought a Teknetics Mark 1. However, on that system I could remove the rechargeable AA batteries and put in regular old AA batteries if I needed. Most all of the detectors I've had since had some sort of rechargeable battery system that allowed regular batteries, if needed. The Equinox doesn't have a easy swap for AA batteries, it takes a common Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. It can be replaced easily, but I don't carry spare of those around with me.

So again, the Be Prepared side of me looked at how to deal with a "FORGOT TO RECHARGE THE BATTERY" failure on my part. The Equinox 600/800 are capable of having the charge cord connected to a USB battery device while the detector is in use. I already had a portable USB friendly battery for my cell phone. Having a cord w/battery connected to the unit while operating is a bit discombobulated, but it is doable in an 'emergency'. Not as easy as going to wireless headphones, but I took the step.

Since the end of March 2018, my EQ800 has been my 'go to' machine. In that time, I've not had any incidents of forgetting to charge or running out of charge for either my control unit or the headphones. I'm gained a level of trust with my EQ800. I do keep an adapter cable for a regular set of headphones with me. Be Prepared, right? But other than that, the battery has outlasted my hunt times. Wireless and rechargeable control unit. Check.

So if I stand back and look at where I am today vs when the Deus first came out, I would have to put myself 2/3rd's of the way there. Both my control unit and headphones are wireless and rechargeable. Only my coil remains 'wired'.

This last step is a big one for me. During this off season, I've picked up a few search coils for some older detectors I've been messing with. Out of convenience, all three were purchased new. The most I spent on any of them was approximately $135. Mind you, none of these are wireless or rechargeable (or for my Minelab detectors which is another story. smiling bouncing smiley )

I think this is the most difficult part for me - the cost of the XP coils. A quick peek at seriousdetecting.com has the various XP coils running at $425 to $560 each, most of these coming WITH a lower search rod and hardware. Experimenting with coils is no longer cheap. That's quite a bit of $$$ cheese, so to speak, for an optional coil. Add that to the price of a Deus outfit (approx $1000+ depending on the 'deal' you can get) and you have invested upwards of $1500-$1800, or more. thinking

I guess it is all relative though. If I take a look in my 'detector' closet, I have several detectors. including a few I don't have on my signature list. My Etrac was similarly priced to a new Deus. I have optional coils for it. My 800 is priced similarly to the new XP ORX, the more affordable of the XP's.

I guess for me the questions that needs to be asked are:

1) How difficult would it be FOR ME to learn to use a Deus or ORX?

2) Would I find the interface pleasant to use?

3) Would I be successful with a Deus or ORX?

4) Which coil(s) would I need for the hunting that I do?

Some may be thinking that I'm leaving out the question, Is the Deus any good? At least from my perspective I have to say Yes. The detectorists in Europe have fully accepted the XP and have it as their preferred detector, as have many here in the US of A. I have some well respected guys in my neck of the woods that use it as well and have good things to say.

I've made quite a few changes over the last few years, are there more in store? Well, yes for sure. At least small ones. Will XP be involved in my future? That last hurdle of coil prices is a big one for me. Going to need to think on that. I do know this. I have a bunch of coils and detectors that I'm not using ! Perhaps some folks out there can put a few things to use.

Rich (Utah)

XP Deus
MI6 Pinpointer
Minelab EQ800
White's MXT All Pro
Nokia FORS CoRe
Garrett ProPointer AT
Subject Author Views Posted

A few questions for those running an XP Deus or ORX

Rich (Utah) 130 February 23, 2019 11:37PM

Re: A few questions for those running an XP Deus or ORX

Kickindirt 112 February 24, 2019 01:25AM

Holding Hands with the Devil -

Rich (Utah) 95 February 24, 2019 11:53AM

Re: Holding Hands with the Devil -

Kickindirt 100 February 24, 2019 04:31PM

NWCindy 103 February 24, 2019 02:30PM

Kickindirt 89 February 24, 2019 05:48PM

NWCindy 108 February 24, 2019 06:14PM

Sorry, but "No, They Don't."

Monte 94 February 24, 2019 11:17PM

Kickindirt 90 February 24, 2019 06:27PM

NWCindy 91 February 24, 2019 06:32PM

OregonGregg 102 February 24, 2019 12:35PM

Re: Holding Hands with the Devil - GREGGthumbs down

Kickindirt 107 February 24, 2019 05:09PM

NWCindy 101 February 24, 2019 05:13PM

Rich (Utah) 100 February 24, 2019 10:00PM

The White's V3i doesn't fit, either.

Monte 87 February 24, 2019 11:35PM

NWCindy 91 February 24, 2019 03:46PM

Calabash (UT) ?? What?

Rich (Utah) 98 February 24, 2019 01:52PM

Re: Calabash (UT) ?? What?

OregonGregg 92 February 24, 2019 02:32PM

Kickindirt 72 February 24, 2019 05:26PM

... i wont bash anyone elses favorite machines ...

Monte 88 February 25, 2019 12:05AM

OregonGregg 106 February 24, 2019 06:19PM

Simplicity at its' finest . . . . .

Rich (Utah) 107 February 24, 2019 02:45PM

Remfire 94 February 24, 2019 12:11PM

A detector too far . . . . .

Rich (Utah) 95 February 24, 2019 01:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018