Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Small Coil

February 24, 2019 11:32AM
Have been reading with interest about using the smaller 5" coils and at Tom D's forum there was a post [www.dankowskidetectors.com]

5" coils are rather small and it did take me awhile to get used to them and not covering a large hunt area in any record time. Did find they cam be amazing to use. My first real use was when I was building my Mirage Pi's. Everyone likes using larger coils on Pi's. Well, at one point I went the other way, just to experiment. Built several small elliptical coils, they were ok. Just seemed target response was swished-narrowed on lets say nail. Became to hard to distinguish a nail from a coin. Then built a round 5" coil. Oh yeah, big improvement in target depth and ability to tell a nail from a coin. And it also detected smaller gold nuggets. When I found my first gold ring with it, I was sold. The 5" round coil didn't see much small foil but, did see the small gold items. I was detecting a trashy schoolyard and the Pi with the strangest tight audio response over this target, had me wondering what it was. I dug, about 5" down, out popped this gold ring. For most of my urban Pi hunts I favor the 7" coil overall and used it most often. So parted way with the 5" coil when I sold one of my Mirage builds. Kind of kick myself. Lucky I had some 5" coil shells kicking around and made up a new one back in November. Motivated now to finish it up by putting a connector on the coil cables end.

When I bought a T2 and the Quest Pro(T2 clone), tried different coils and seemed like the 5"dd was the winner coil for them, wasn't real happy using the larger coils, something seemed missing. Then picked up a Goldbug Pro with the small 5" coil, found that work work excellent pulling Canadian clad coins out of depths to about 5" in trashy areas.

With all this talk about the 5" coil over the past year, kind of have the urge to pick up a 5"DD coil for the Anfibio, to satisfy my curiosity, even tho I already have the 7".

--------------------------------------------------------------
I dig it with a Nokta/Makro product.
Impact.....M-Kruzer.....now Anfibio-Multi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2019 12:29AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Small Coil

SvenS 123 February 24, 2019 11:32AM

Re: Small Coil

RickUK 57 February 25, 2019 11:09AM

No detector Outfit is complete ... in my opinoin ... without a smaller-size search coil.

Monte 96 February 25, 2019 08:04AM

Re: Small Coil

Rich (Utah) 84 February 24, 2019 12:55PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018