Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

194th Day ... and learning.

March 07, 2019 03:00PM avatar
WM6, I trust you're having a great day and experiencing wonderful detecting weather. Here in far eastern Oregon in the good ol' USA, OregonGregg & I have just another week to ten days and spring should arrive and we can get back to detecting. Yesterday afternoon, Gregg and I were discussing detectors and detecting (what else) and that big Morgan Silver Dollar he found was on his 194th Day of Metal Detecting back in 2013. He was using an MXT Pro.

Shortly after getting a real detector (the MXT Pro), which was a marked improvement from the Garret's and such he had briefly checked out and parted with, he was also interested in the simpler-design White's M6 and bought one as a gift for his Dad. He tried his dad's M6 on a visit, found a silver quarter in the yard, if I recall correctly, and ended up getting an M6 for himself to team up with his MXT Pro.

He'd kept the M6 in his detector group, and while he parted with the MXT he has bought and sold a couple, but reacquired another MXT just last spring. Matter of fact, on one of the first hunts we made last year, he used it with the 9" spoked Concentric coil and found a silver Dime and other keepers. He never parted with his M6 because he used it more and found more with it than he did the MXT so the M6 has some sentimental value to him.

For me, the MXT Pro / All-Pro was my primary-use, general-purpose detector for years, right up until January 8th of 2015. I also used a Teknetics T2 w/5" DD for the iron challenged ghost towns and similar iron debris sites, and I had several other models that I liked for a lot of the urban Coin Hunting I enjoyed doing when I couldn't get away to some older, iron littered site I enjoy searching. And then, as I mentioned, January 8th of '15 arrived .... and so did some packages from Nokta that contained a Nokta FORS CoRe Pro Pack and more.

I assembled the Nokta FORS CoRe, mounted the smaller 4.7X5.2 DD 'OOR' (Out-Of-Round) search coil and started evaluating the CoRe against all of the models I had on-hand at the time: My White's MXT Pro, MX-5 and modified Classic ID and IDX Pro; Tesoro Bandido II, Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX; Fisher F75; Teknetics T2 'Classic', G2 and Omega 8000; Minelab Explorer II and a few others I had borrowed.

I was up most of the night doing comparisons and most of the next day I did some, plus I took several units with me to hunt an old homestead structure site that had a lot of iron nails. By the evening of the 9th I had already determined the Nokta FORS CoRe provided me with the best weight, feel and balance of all the models I owned, combined with better behavior as it out-performed the others on several tough-test scenarios and side-by-side comparisons. The Nokta CoRe easily moved to the #1 spot in my Detector Outfit, and on the 10th I started listing most of my other detectors for sale or trade.

I then got the Makro Racer to evaluate and Gregg made a 4-5 hour drive just to see and handle the new detector models. Gregg was favorably impressed, too, and while he kept his M6, other models went their way as he acquired the Racer and a CoRe himself. I got other models I liked, and I made it a point to keep my favorite Tesoro models in my Outfit.

A year later, in January of '16, I received a Nokta FORS Relic (actually the prototype that had a name change to become the FORS Relic) and it immediately impressed me. The same physical package, weight and feel as the CoRe, but at a higher frequency of 19 kHz and with a Boost mode, a Swift (Fast) mode, and featured both adjustable Tone Break and Iron Audio Volume control. The CoRe and Relic hold the #1 spot in my current Regular-Use Detector Outfit as they have been the best models for working in the very dense iron contaminated sites I prefer.

When they introduced the Relic in early '16 they had already just introduced the Racer 2. I favored it over the original because they opened up the Non-Ferrous range with a lower Ferrous/Non-Ferrous break-point, just as they had the Relic over the CoRe. The Racer 2 also had Iron Audio Volume and Tone Break. Gregg also liked the Racer 2 for the Iron Audio and more a open upper range of the VDI, plus it had a much improved 'S' shaped upper-rod/hand-grip. Still, my two favorites were the CoRe and Relic.

As most know, I own and use a variety of makes and models for different applications, and I think there have been three times, maybe four, since I went to the CoRe as a primary-use model that I have reacquired an MXT Pro or MXT All-Pro, and Gregg has done the same. Then in early 2018 he got another MXT and has hunted with it, sparingly, but still has it to complement is M6.

I just made a decision this week that, while I don't need another MXT Pro, I do respect the MXT Pro and relied on it for years before, and decided that I kind-of wanted another MXT Pro for several reasons. So I am picking up a clean used specimen and just need to get the most-used 6½" Concentric coil and I'll have one back in my Outfit.

I have some Fisher's, Teknetics and Tesoro's on-hand, and now another White's will join the 'team,' but the 'Team Captains' will remain the Nokta CoRe and Relic devices. What we have need of is fair weather so we can get out hunting and, just earlier today, Gregg mentioned in a call that we ought to set out on some detecting jaunt and the two of us use only our MXT models. Maybe the only thing I need to be prepared for is hunting with Gregg when he has an MXT in his hand and, once again, lucks upon another big US Silver Dollar!

Oh well. Here comes spring and about a week from now we should be geared-up and out hunting. Time to get out and find stuff for future stories.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(4), White's:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Some Favorite Finds From Past Years - Attachments

Rich (Utah) 150 March 05, 2019 08:30PM

Epic spill rich. Wish i'd started 10 years earlier. N/T

zincoln 61 March 07, 2019 09:56PM

Cartwheels -

Rich (Utah) 69 March 07, 2019 10:04PM

Zincoln's short list Attachments

zincoln 69 March 07, 2019 09:41PM

Re: Zincoln's short list Attachments

OregonGregg 84 March 08, 2019 04:27PM

Re: Zincoln's short list

NWCindy 56 March 08, 2019 05:44PM

Re: Zincoln's short list

NWCindy 55 March 07, 2019 10:02PM

Re: Some Favorite Finds From Past Years - Attachments

Remfire 66 March 07, 2019 07:59PM

I was envious of that Barber half, and still am. Unique! N/T

zincoln 51 March 07, 2019 09:42PM

Re: I was envious of that Barber half, and still am. Unique!

Remfire 47 March 07, 2019 10:54PM

Re: Some Favorite Finds From Past Years -

OregonGregg 55 March 07, 2019 08:19PM

NWCindy 61 March 07, 2019 08:16PM

Great story and pics. Rich! N/T

Timbertodd 44 March 07, 2019 12:02PM

Nice Finds

OregonGregg 61 March 06, 2019 06:45PM

Cool stories love the finds. N/T

NWCindy 59 March 06, 2019 06:37PM

Looks like its turning into.... Attachments

OregonGregg 93 March 06, 2019 06:29PM

Re: I would have gasped also.NICE!! N/T

Timbertodd 49 March 07, 2019 12:01PM

Re: Looks like its turning into....

WM6 73 March 07, 2019 07:07AM

194th Day ... and learning.

Monte 54 March 07, 2019 03:00PM

Thanks for the memories MXT/M6

OregonGregg 75 March 07, 2019 08:01AM

Another Great Story.

Rich (Utah) 55 March 06, 2019 06:42PM

Those memories stay with you don't they? Good job. N/T

NWCindy 57 March 06, 2019 06:39PM

Kickindirt 82 March 05, 2019 09:10PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018