Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

And Yoda says: "Young Jadon Warrior, it takes time to be a Master."

March 29, 2019 03:34AM avatar
Jadon_PDX
Good news I was able to repair the racer. My swing speed is extremely slow, which is why I was confused on the break as well.. perhaps a family member busted it in the garage.
Glad to hear you've mended the Racer to at least keep it in your detector arsenal. The Nokta - Makro products work well with a slow and methodical sweep, but your definition of 'extremely' slow might be too slow for peak performance, or that's how I picture it with my translation of the term.

Jadon_PDX
As for switching brands I’ve heard great things about the Nox ... and I really wanted to master another detector. I can return the minelab up til 2 weeks.
I, too, have heard favorable comments about the Equinox 800 from people I know and appreciate their experience, but I have also heard from equally skilled detector operators with decades of avid field time who gave the Equinox a go and were not all that thrilled with it.

We need to remember that there is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector.

Also, some detectors might have noteworthy strengths for certain applications while a different make or model can provide handier use for other applications. Yes, there are a lot of Do-It-All, General-Purpose detectors available to use, but keep in mind the old adage, "A jack of all trades but master of none.". That's part of the reason why, since late '71/early '72 I have made it a point to keep two or more detectors (usually four or more) in my personal Detector Outfit.

I always try to learn each detector's strengths in order to make the better detector selection for a given site and get the most performance out of it. And to know it's strong points means you're also learning some weaknesses along the way. And I never stop trying to learn, either. I am constantly evaluating different things that come to mind to compare my detectors side-by-side, or when I encounter an interesting situation afield I might take a moment to check it out on-site with one or more other models I have along, or I note the conditions and try to duplicate that scenario when I get home.

I have my all-time favorite two Tesoro models in my Detector Outfit, the Bandido II µMAX (microMAX) and Silver Sabre µMAX, and I have been using these models since they were introduced in October of '97. Been using most Tesoro models since the summer of '83, but these two are my favorites. I use them often, and after 21½ years I am still alert for any strength or weakness I might experience and learn from their use.

I started using the White's original MXT in 2001, worked with the MXT Pro prototype and immediately added a production MXT Pro once released and it was my #1 All-Purpose detector until January of 2015. I also used the Teknetics T2 and various versions of it from 2006 until January of 2015 as well, mainly preferring it only with the 5" DD coil as a dense iron debris Relic Hunting device. I also used the Teknetics Omega 8000 from March of 2010 until the summer of 2015 as a favorite urban Coin Hunting model.

I got my hands on a newer model, the Nokta FORS CoRe in January of '15, and that model simply out-performed those I just mentioned and others I also had four years ago for the bulk of the detecting I was doing, and that was concentrating on old relic-oriented sites where ferrous debris is a really tough challenge. The only other brand detectors I kept were my two favorite Tesoro models. I've had other great performing models, also from Nokta and Makro, which is now just Nokta-Makro Detection Technologies, and for just over three years now the Nokta FORS Relic has been my primary-use unit w/5" DD coil in the dense nail and other iron contaminated places due to the Iron Volume and Tone Break features .... along with outstanding performance in some tough iron tests against other makes and models.

I could just limit my do-it-all arsenal to the two Tesoro's and a CoRe and a Relic and still hunt for anything just about anywhere. But I also learned long ago that it's sometimes good to have a different model or two just to change-things-up a bit. Handle something else to enjoy slightly different performance and handling requirements which also helps keep me from getting into a 'Ho-Hum' or lazy attitude about using the same detector(s) day-in and day-out. I have two CoRe and two Relic devices so each model set is equipped with the two most-used search coils. My two Tesoro favorites keep only one search coil in use and mounted full-time, and that's a 6" Concentric.

But to complement those detectors, in the past six months I have purchased a couple of used but perfect condition models and two brand new models just to have a more versatile Regular-Use Detector Outfit by adding back three models based on old favorites and one new lower-cost device. All equipped with a search coil I enjoy using the most. Those include a Teknetics Omega 8000 w/7" Concentric and a brand new T2+ w/5" DD coil, a White's MXT All-Pro w/6½" Concentric coil, and a new Fisher F44 w/7" Concentric coil.

The Fisher F44 is a newer model and brand new to me, and not only did I purchase two of them to evaluate side-by-side, but I found a design glitch that I called FTP about and called to their attention. Something they didn't know about. And as much as I used to use the Omega 8000, MXT Pro and T2 models, I have still been learning more about their abilities and weak spots when it comes to performance afield.

Why mention all of this? Because since I got hooked on this great sport I have had a desire to learn all I can and try to understand all I can. And with ample experiences of many years with each of these models, even those I had and have recently added back into my Outfit, I am still working to 'master' my knowledge and skills with each of them. Wanting to acquire a new-to-you detector and learn it can be a good thing. Wanting to 'master' a detector is even better, but if you have a 2-week return policy, you're decision will be made based solely on whether you like the detector's feel, fit, control features and general use because there's now way you're going to be able to master it in that short a period of time.

I'm watching my tight budget because I need to install new carpet and tile in my entire house, as well as get it all painted, inside and out, this year. I'm also shopping for a vehicle for travel and camping purposes. The $$$ isn't there for all of that yet and I'm also considering an investment in a couple of new or soon-to-be-released models myself. A Nokta-Makro Simplex and an XP ORX. One will definitely have a 'fit' in my Outfit and the other I am going to work with to learn, and evaluate it on its own as well as compared against the proven performers I currently use. At that point I'll make a keep-it-or-not decision. No 2-week time limit.

Anyway, glad your Racer is working again, and best of luck to you in learning a new detector. It can always be 'fun' to work with something new. Keep us all informed on your thoughts of the detector and performance you enjoy.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(4), White's:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Bittersweet, but mostly sweet

Jadon_PDX 128 March 27, 2019 09:17AM

Re: Bittersweet, but mostly sweet

Harold,ILL. 76 March 28, 2019 08:19AM

Jadon, you left me wondering, as well as hoping and wishing.

Monte 80 March 28, 2019 07:55AM

Re: Jadon, you left me wondering, as well as hoping and wishing.

Jadon_PDX 76 March 28, 2019 09:04AM

And Yoda says: "Young Jadon Warrior, it takes time to be a Master."

Monte 73 March 29, 2019 03:34AM

Re: And Yoda says: "Young Jadon Warrior, it takes time to be a Master."

glabelle 64 March 29, 2019 07:35AM

Re: And Yoda says: "Young Jadon Warrior, it takes time to be a Master." N/T

jmaryt 49 March 29, 2019 09:05PM

George, some of the 'negative' comments I've heard

Monte 69 March 29, 2019 08:38AM

Re: George, some of the 'negative' comments I've heard

glabelle 66 March 29, 2019 09:49AM

Re: George, some of the 'negative' comments I've heard

jmaryt 65 March 29, 2019 09:13PM

Welcome to the Minelab 'Club' thumbs up N/T

Rich (Utah) 73 March 27, 2019 12:49PM

Re: Welcome to the Minelab 'Club' thumbs up

OregonGregg 78 March 27, 2019 05:54PM

Re: Welcome to the Minelab 'Club' thumbs up

Jadon_PDX 65 March 28, 2019 09:04AM

Kickindirt 81 March 27, 2019 11:50AM

glabelle 92 March 27, 2019 09:41AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 33
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018