Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some 'traveling thoughts' on Single or Selectable Frequency Vs Simultaneous Multi-Frequency.

March 30, 2019 11:05AM avatar
I used to own and use several BBS and FBS devices from Minelab from the latter '90s until the last couple of Explorer II FBS units I had about seven years ago. They worked for some of the applications I could use them for, but I also owned and used an assortment of single-frequency detectors that I also favored. Not all at the same operating frequency, either, because I found it beneficial to have a few models that functioned in different 'groups' or frequencies ;, or different 'portions' of the VLF range.

The main reason I parted with all the BBS and FBS models was mainly because of their fatiguing weight and balance that bothered my impaired mobility. The other reason was that their strengths were more favorable for urban Coin Hunting locations and they didn't work all that great in the very heavy iron contaminated sites where my relic Hunting takes place.

Today we have a selection of other models now hitting the market that are Multi-Frequency which allows us to pick-and-choose an operating frequency without trekking back to the vehicle to swap detectors if we want to use a different frequency. I like some of the 'selectable' Multi-Frequency models I have used, such as the Nokta Impact, Nokta-Makro Multi-Kruzer and Anfibio Multi. I pick the operating frequency that worked best for me and the detectors performed well.

Usually, the bulk of my detecting with any of these devices was at the default 14 kHz operating frequency, but in the very dense ferrous debris locations I did favor either the 19 or 20 kHz frequency. However, none of those newer 'multi-selectable frequency units out-performed my 15 kHz Nokta FORS CoRe or 19 kHz FORS Relic with comparable search coils in the very tough environment sites I mainly searched. That's why some models I own are in my 'Specialty-Use' detector group and the CoRe & Relic are in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit.

One thing to understand about the 'Simultaneous' models is that they really aren't. They don't really Transmit a multiple number of frequencies all at the same time. Instead, they are 'Sequentially' transmitted, even if just micro-seconds apart. Therefore the receive signal, the important part that needs to be received, recognized, processed and transmitted to us with an audile and visual display report, are also micro-seconds apart.

At that point the device with have some received information of some strength or amplitude to try and process, so it's also 'how' the different detectors handle the processing. Some will gather the received information and try to average out the information to get a general response to process for us. So, while we are sweeping the search coil and all of the 'working' or 'transmitted' frequencies are doing their job ... micro-seconds apart ... the detector's circuitry is also dealing with the 'harmonics' based on the particular transmitted frequency and that, too, requires a bit more time for the detector to send, receive and unscramble all the processed information in order to average out what is useful and able to be passed along.

Therefore, as the search coil is being swept from side-to-side during a search of a site the receiver section is trying to get the best information signal to say 'this is good or strong enough' and pass it along for us to hear. On my drive across the desolate spaces of Central Oregon on the drive from Vale to the club meeting in Bend, my 'travelling thoughts' reflected on all the hype about 'Simultaneous Multi-Frequency' detectors as I was out in the middle of nowhere.

It occurred when I was using our modern car radios that are supposed to be 'high tech' devices with the ability to scan, at a fast pace, also, to find the strongest signal to receive and provide an audio response for me to listen to something during the dark of night. Both AM and FM bands were scanned and I could see the numbers quickly run through the entire spectrum, from low-to-high, and then start over again and again. Nothing was received with a strong enough signal for the device to work well in the scanning function of all those multiple frequencies.sad smiley

However, I was fortunate to have a radio with a 'selectable' frequency option.smiling smiley I could either push a button to select a saved frequency that came in strong enough to listen to, or I could manually step through each fraction of the frequency range and hear 'noise' or a weak signal from a more distant or low-powered source, and then find a single operating frequency that was strong.thumbs up
'
For fun, after finding a few stations I could listen to, using my 'Single Frequency' of operation, I pressed the Multi Scanning' button to see if the device would work well enough to get it with a decent signal and lock-on. It never did, until I drove very close to a major town. But the handy Single selectable choice sure worked well for me than what the Multiple or Scanning circuitry provided.

If you're stuck inside, or maybe in the evening, you can look up and study some of the knowledgeable writers information that discusses the multi-frequency detectors we have or have-had from Fisher, Minelab and White's. It just might be informative to better understand why we pick what we use.

Remember, even some of the self-scanning frequency models suggest there are times when we can have improved performance by selecting just a single frequency.

Just a little food-for-though before I head out the door to enjoy some sunny springtime detecting weather.cool smiley
Loaded up for today? A Nokta CoRe & Relic, a Teknetics T2+ & Omega 8000 and two Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX models.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: F-44, Nokta-Makro: FORS CoRe and FORS Relic, Teknetics: Omega 8000,
Tesoro: Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, White's: XLT, XP: ORX
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Some 'traveling thoughts' on Single or Selectable Frequency Vs Simultaneous Multi-Frequency.

Monte 200 March 30, 2019 11:05AM

Surprise, surprise! Attachments

glabelle 139 April 01, 2019 04:55PM

What frequency am i really anyway?

UtahRich 96 April 02, 2019 08:06AM

Re: What frequency am i really anyway? Attachments

glabelle 101 April 02, 2019 11:08AM

Frequencies and Analysis

UtahRich 94 April 02, 2019 03:28PM

OOOOPS N/T

UtahRich 74 April 02, 2019 08:06AM

Surprise!

UtahRich 84 April 01, 2019 08:35PM

Re: Surprise, surprise!

WM6 78 April 01, 2019 06:27PM

Re: Surprise, surprise!

glabelle 67 April 01, 2019 09:55PM

Re: Some 'traveling thoughts' on Single or Selectable Frequency Vs Simultaneous Multi-Frequency.

glabelle 94 April 01, 2019 10:02AM

Single / Selectable / Multi-Frequency.

UtahRich 118 April 01, 2019 04:00PM

Re: Some 'traveling thoughts' on Single or Selectable Frequency Vs Simultaneous Multi-Frequency.

WM6 95 April 01, 2019 12:52PM

NWCindy 88 April 01, 2019 06:00PM

Kickindirt 127 March 30, 2019 09:01PM

Why i like multi frequency

zincoln 135 March 30, 2019 03:07PM

Re: Why i like multi frequency Hey Brian

Kickindirt 126 March 30, 2019 09:11PM

zincoln 125 March 31, 2019 07:37AM

My name is Rich and I’m a multi-freq’r. thumbs up N/T

UtahRich 81 March 31, 2019 09:04PM

My name is Monte and I'm a multi-frequency user, too!

Monte 103 April 01, 2019 02:33AM

Kickindirt 100 March 31, 2019 11:24AM

Interesting topic N/T

UtahRich 92 March 30, 2019 01:48PM

jmaryt 141 March 30, 2019 12:36PM

My old standby of single freak 6.59 kHz works for meWhite's Electronics N/T

Hombre 110 March 30, 2019 11:39AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 35
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018