Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Rechargeable Batteries or Alkaline Batteries ... a frequent topic.

April 04, 2019 08:28AM
Battery technology has come a long way in only a few years.

Probably the best value for the dollar in a rechargable battery is the NiMH. Same capacity as an alkaline, BUT only puts out 1.2V Alkalines are 1.5V). This may or may not be a problem for your particular detector. I'd check the mfr. recommendation. 4 Alkalines are ~6V. 4 NiMH are 4.8V. If your detector can run with 4.8V and has a built in regulator - then it is no problem.

There are Li-Ion and Li-Poly AA substitutes, but they are expensive....and very expensive. There are advantages though.

Capacities are now exceeding the Amp-hour ratings of Alkalines.
Lithium batteries never leak.
They are 30%+ lighter.
Almost mandatory for a PI detector in that the voltage output is constant throughout its life - maintains Tx pulse strength.
They have a very high potential discharge rate, in Amps, but this isn't a concern for our VLF detectors.

I have been using the RNB Lithium pack for my MXT for years now. It knocks 4 ounces off the weight of the detector. We (old folks) know how important this is.

Fortunately, Minelab saw fit to build in a Lithium battery into the handle of the Equinox. It has a capacity of twice that of an Alkaline (5000mAh). I realize that if the battery goes dead in the middle of a hunt, you could be toast. However, using the charging plug, I have a method for attaching an external battery pack to the bottom of the armrest (also lithium - many now sold for emergency cell phone chargers and the like). When attached, the external battery is used only for the detector, when ON, and is not used charging the internal battery, until you turn the detector off.

Another solution is to simply buy another battery and attach the proper connector, and you can swap the batteries in the field. (My future project).

Monte is practical in that Alkalines are now so cheap, that just having a stash of them is efficient and reliable. I like the weight advantage, especially in an MXT which requires 8 AA cells. If the Li pack discharges, pop in regular Alkalines for the duration of the hunt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2019 09:41AM by glabelle.
Subject Author Views Posted

Rechargeable Batteries or Alkaline Batteries ... a frequent topic.

Monte 110 April 03, 2019 04:16PM

Druid 52 April 11, 2019 09:03AM

glabelle 59 April 04, 2019 08:28AM

Kickindirt 57 April 03, 2019 09:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018