Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bigger-size livestock tages don't interest me as much as ...

April 08, 2019 07:52AM avatar
the smaller-size Sheep Ear-Tags because they often tell more of a story about where the flock or band (of sheep) came from and often the era. Most of the sheep tags I have found, in Utah, Idaho, Oregon and Nevada, have originated from one of those states and show the Owner's name, as I see in yours photo, and the other end, or folded side, might show where they were located and the date they were tagged. Sometimes no date at all, sometimes, just the Year they were tagged, and the newer tags might also show the Month & Year. All of them date from

Here is some info and a few photos I posted back in 2016 on Sheep Ear Tags, and in that thread, started by 'Kickindirt,' you can see the photos of his two found Ear Tags. Again, many might just have a rancher's name, but they can also include a Location and sometimes a Date. Livestock tags were started early in foreign-to-us countries, like the UK, but I believe it was not until about 1895 that they were required here in the USA.

Tags, like you found and those Joel and I refer to in the earlier link, were mainly for sheep. This type of tag was usually used for smaller cattle like sheep and goats. It is interesting that the sheep tags usually have the Name of the owner, but I also find it interesting that most of those with a Locations were also places with a Railroad.

Since the railroad was a very important method to transport sheep to market around the late 1800's and into the early 1900's when we had better highway transport methods, I have wondered if the sheep ranchers intentionally located their operations close to those vicinities, such as Soda Springs, Idaho, Kelton, Utah, Toano, Nevada, etc., or if the tags where used to also identify the shipping point for the flocks.

One large and important sheep freighting point here in Oregon was a town they named Shaniko, but it wasn't much of a town until they ran a RR line south to it in 1900 specifically for freighting sheep. While I have detected quite a few locations in that Central Oregon region, I haven't concentrated on any places closely associated with sheep pens and the RR area near there. Those types of dense bunching of sheep seems to be where there was a better chance for ear tags to get lost so I might have to venture over that direction sometime this summer. Might find some neat Ear Tags, and who knows, a few early era coins could even come my way. smiling smiley

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: 1, Nokta-Makro: 3, Teknetics: 1, Tesoro: 2, White's: 2, XP: 1
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

First full live stock tag Attachments

NWCindy 283 April 06, 2019 01:32PM

Bigger-size livestock tages don't interest me as much as ...

Monte 126 April 08, 2019 07:52AM

Re: Bigger-size livestock tages don't interest me as much as ...

NWCindy 106 April 08, 2019 08:42PM

Re: First full live stock tag Cool Find N/T

Kickindirt 106 April 07, 2019 06:01AM

Re: First full live stock tag

desertsmith 136 April 06, 2019 06:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018