Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adjacency - And why is that still there thinking

April 20, 2019 06:13PM avatar
Monte
Not because you don't know, but because so many Hobbyists get the wrong description in so many publications or what they have heard and actually believe the detector sends out a 'V' shaped signal ... a 'cone' shape ... from a Concentric coil, but it doesn't. Most of the time if I am directing a specific comment directly at or to an individual I'll state that. Otherwise, I typically use generalizations and descriptions for the benefit of many readers who might take some things differently.

Good old Shute Park. It still has a few keepers hidden here and there but the good days were sure fun to enjoy. When I still lived over near there I'd always get in quickly with any renovation work and always get some nice keepers for my efforts.

Monte

Adjacency -

Many years ago when I was using my CZ-6a, I came across an article I believe in Western Eastern Treasures debunking the "Cone" description for the concentric coil. I don't recall which company engineer wrote it and provided the illustrations, but it made me curious enough to test out their explanation on my own detector.

I set up a my detector and began measuring the field using a coin attached to a paint stirring stick and worked my way around the coil from all directions, beginning close to the coil and moving away. I charted things inch by inch as I increased the distance and moved about the perimeter of the coil to the area directly below the center.

The engineer was absolutely correct. The area of sensitivity in the electromagnetic field above and below the coil WAS NOT cone shaped. And I satisfied my curiosity that the EMF of the concentric coil of my CZ-6a was NOT cone shaped. (And I was impressed with my CZ)

After my personal experiment, I looked at things a little different when I was out hunting knowing that objects not necessarily under the coil can still be detected by the coil. This still influences me today as I have a 'habit' of removing adjacent targets when I'm trying to isolate what I think is a deeper target hiding close to something else.

I typically hunt with an 11" coil on my 800. As I move along, I overlap my coil sweeps quite a bit, not because I'm worried that the exact center of the coil is going to have to pass over the deepest of targets in order to detect it, but because I know that there are lots of other metallic items in the ground. I'm moving my 11" coil over all of them hoping to catch an electronic peek at an old coin, token, button, ring, or other keeper hiding among items I don't particularly want to retrieve; bits of aluminum foil, pull tabs, rusty nails and other metallic trash.

Each time I go back and hunt a place, I give myself another opportunity for my coil to get a peek at a keeper item hiding in the rest of the stuff. It could be that changing the direction of my sweeps will be what is needed, it could be that a change in my coil size will do it. Perhaps the ground will be dryer and some of the rusty nails won't be as 'active'. Maybe there will be more moisture in the ground and the ground will be just a little more conducive to the EMF from my coil. Perhaps it is immediately before a lightning storm, or right after. Maybe there are too many other items nearby masking it and some of them need to be removed before the keeper can be seen. Perhaps I will hunt in a different frequency and light up my target better. Perhaps I will dig a target that's a little cruddy sounding and it will turn out to be something great partially masked by something not so great.

Do you see what I mean here? So many different possibilities. This is why I can go back time after time after time and hunt the same areas and still turn up keepers.

This is where our preferences come into this. Some will approach an area using a method they've had success with and somebody else might use something totally different. Like last year, I brought along a long time detecting buddy out to Wells. He brought a new detector HE'D NEVER USED BEFORE, the White's VX3 AND he put on his 12" Coil. If you would have asked any of us there, we would have told you this isn't a rig likely to see success. Well, we were wrong, he turned up a lovely Flying Eagle Cent, a Civil War Military button and a few other keepers. He was using the coverage and depth of the 12" coil to sweep OVER the lower limbs of the sage brush and grass in areas you couldn't get a small coil to. Another way to skin a cat. Right time, right place. Unusual method gave results.

Lots of us, me included, would LIKE to use the MOST PROFITABLE method when we hunt a site. That method that will give us maximum return on our time and effort. So what method is it? Small Coil, Big Coil, DD coil, Concentric Coil, Low Discrimination, High Discrimination, 3 tones, 5 tones, Multi-tones? So many variables, it would make a statisticians job an impossible one.

Well, each of us has to determine what we're capable of doing. What methods can we handle? How many bad targets can we stand to recover without a keeper? Are our expectations realistic for a site? Or will be walk away in frustration? Do we follow that hunch like my detecting buddy I brought out to Wells? or do we stick with the tried and true? Do we wander out in the sage brush willy nilly, or grid off an area and remove every possible chirp?

That's for each of us to decide. But truth be told, I still think you have to get the coil over the DIRT and put your ideas to the test and see how they perform for you. And be PERSISTENT.

Best of luck to all of you,

Rich (Utah)

XP Deus (soon)
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Subject Author Views Posted

Important Topic by George: Deep coin shooting with a concentric coil???

glabelle 158 April 16, 2019 06:50AM

Related Reference if you're interested -

Rich (Utah) 65 April 22, 2019 11:47PM

Related Reference of interest? Well, I'm not, and I don't mind commenting on it, either.

Monte 65 April 23, 2019 07:55PM

Coils and Coins -

Rich (Utah) 45 April 23, 2019 08:46PM

Re: Related Reference if you're interested -

glabelle 50 April 23, 2019 07:11AM

Coil Sizes and Depth on Coins -

Rich (Utah) 42 April 23, 2019 08:40PM

Re: Coil Sizes and Depth on Coins -

glabelle 34 April 23, 2019 09:37PM

Coil Sizes and Depth on Coins -

Rich (Utah) 35 April 23, 2019 09:44PM

OregonGregg 52 April 23, 2019 05:45AM

Rich (Utah) 33 April 23, 2019 08:54PM

Pardon me George and others, but this is a great topic.

Monte 96 April 19, 2019 10:35AM

George, this is a great topic. Question for Harold,ILL

Rich (Utah) 62 April 19, 2019 05:45PM

Comments for Rich (Utah) from Monte.

Monte 63 April 20, 2019 08:40AM

What is DEEP ? - Some Detecting Options

Rich (Utah) 59 April 20, 2019 07:43PM

Re: What is DEEP ? - Some Detecting Options reply Rich Attachments

Kickindirt 50 April 20, 2019 09:12PM

Re: What is DEEP ? - Some Detecting Options

OregonGregg 49 April 20, 2019 08:06PM

Re: What is DEEP ? - Some Detecting Options

Rich (Utah) 43 April 20, 2019 09:22PM

Re: What is DEEP ? - Some Detecting Options Attachments

OregonGregg 43 April 20, 2019 09:35PM

Re: Pardon me George and others, but this is a great topic.

glabelle 51 April 19, 2019 04:43PM

George, I'll respond to your 5-points.

Monte 54 April 20, 2019 05:42AM

In a nutshell . . . . .

Rich (Utah) 41 April 19, 2019 07:48PM

Re: In a nutshell . . . . .

glabelle 55 April 19, 2019 08:42PM

Preferences -

Rich (Utah) 39 April 19, 2019 11:48PM

A few last comments on coils and absolute depth Attachments

glabelle 50 April 20, 2019 09:24AM

George, a simple reason I described the 'cone.'

Monte 55 April 20, 2019 03:59PM

Adjacency - And why is that still there thinking

Rich (Utah) 44 April 20, 2019 06:13PM

Re: Adjacency - And why is that still there thinking Great Post Richthumbs up

Druid 31 April 21, 2019 09:49AM

Re: A few last comments on coils and absolute depth

jmaryt 35 April 20, 2019 10:28AM

Re: Deep coin shooting with a concentric coil???

Kickindirt 73 April 16, 2019 06:46PM

glabelle 68 April 16, 2019 09:57PM

Balancing to ignore the ground?

Monte 52 April 20, 2019 09:22AM

Re: Balancing to ignore the ground?

glabelle 40 April 20, 2019 09:34AM

Kickindirt 58 April 17, 2019 11:05AM

Just a thought or two regarding coil size selection.

Monte 43 April 20, 2019 09:59AM

glabelle 58 April 17, 2019 04:13PM

What should I use to look for deep silver dimes?

Rich (Utah) 80 April 16, 2019 10:20PM

Re: What should I use to look for deep silver dimes?

glabelle 63 April 17, 2019 09:21AM

Harold,ILL. 61 April 17, 2019 08:06AM

jmaryt 55 April 17, 2019 10:44AM

Rich (Utah) 63 April 17, 2019 04:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 42
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018