Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My 'forrmer' to 'current' plan of attack for DEEP coins.

April 24, 2019 08:38PM avatar
First, I should define what I CONSIDER to be a 'DEEP' coin. Most coins are, and have been, located in the upper surface-to-4" range, and 4" would be an average typical depth between 3" and 5". Over 5" deep coin-size targets are getting into what I consider to be typical 'DEEP COIN' depth. Generally 6"-ish to an honest 8" deep target. Some can be found in the measured 8" to 10" range, but those are very rare compared with the number that are over 5" to 8" depths.

Kickindirt
So for my old park which finds wise I've dated back to 1870s. So here's my thoughts and some of you prob can relate to this. I've been hunting this park with DD coils for last 5 yrs or so with all different makes and models. Good finds have diminished down to nothing.
Yes, I can definitely relate to that. Quantities of coins and older-era coins have sure diminished over the years (decades really) and I'm talking about old-use parks that had activity back into the 1850's and before the site was a dedicated park. I've hunted some of the oldest parks in the Portland, Oregon, but my favorite older-use parks are in my home town in Utah.

I started hunting the Utah parks in '68 with a BFO with a 6" mono-coil, and progressed to a 6" Coplaner/Concentric, 6" and 8" round DD's, and my better results during the late '70s and '80s was with 7" and 8" Concentric coils. I did find some deeper coins, in areas where they were logically to be, but remember, those were still the 'early days' and there were impressive quantities of coins and most were in that typical surface to 4" depth range. As they continued to thin out then the opportunity came to search for the fewer number of remaining coins that were either missed due to being at odd angles, being masked by nearby objects, or in some cases just being a bit deeper than we could normally attain before.

From the '90s to the present I have had other makes and models of detectors and search coils that I have favored when I set out intentionally to try and find some of the remaining 'deeper' coins. Of that group of more 'modern' detectors, my favorites up until 5 years ago have ben the following:

From Fisher the CZ5 w/8" Concentric coil. From Minelab and FBS model, mainly the Explorer II w/11" DD and occasionally an 8" Concentric. From Teknetics an Omega 8000 w/8" Concentric coil in more favorable ground. From White's a modified Classic ID or IDX Pro w/8" or 950 Concentric, the XLT, 5900 Di Pro SL and XL Pro w.8" Concentric, and the MXT Pro/All-Pro w/9" Concentric.

Since the start of 2014, the deeper coin models that have worked well for me have been the Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic w/standard 7X11 DD for deeper coins, the Impact w/7" Concentric or 7X11 DD. The Nokta-Makro Multi-Kruzer and Anfibio Multi w/7" Concentric and 11" DD. And from White's the MXT All-Pro w/9" Concentric and MX-7 w.6½" Concentric in more confined areas or standard 950 Concentric.

I can't handle heavier outfits like I used to, and most of the places I search have too much trash to gain any depth of detection , plus the bulk of the keepers are in that typical surface to 4" range so 'depth' isn't a factor.

Kickindirt
My thinking is a good machine with a 9" concentric is my next choice of weapon. Specifically the Nokta anfibio with 9" concentric.
A 'good' detector with a 'good' coil is all it take, equipment wise. I do like the mid-size elliptical 5X9½ DD open-frame coil on my Nokta CoRe and Nokta Relic for some 'deep' coin hunting in my current Outfit that I grab for sparse-target open areas, other wise I would have to raid my Accessory Coil Tote to get a bigger-size 11" BiAxial for my Teknetics T2+ as my only other bigger-size coil for the detectors I currently own and use.

If I was asked to pick a detector that I would want to use that had a 9" size Concentric or DD coil, it would be a White's MXT All-Pro with the 9" Concentric open-frame coil as that is a set-up I have had experience with. Otherwise I would be interested in trying an XP ORX with a 9" DD coil.

Kickindirt
The anfibio for a few reasons. Power and separation speed.
If a different make or model, the Nokta-Makro Anfibio Multi has to be one of the best all-purpose detectors available on the market today. As I have stated elsewhere, I really like the Anfibio Multi's feel and grip design, and the excellent standard coil performance for open area searches Ample selection of modes and adjustments w/o being too complex. And that 11" DD, combined with a 5" DD for very trashy sites and the top-pick 7" Concentric for general day-to-day work is all anyone really needs.

Kickindirt
Also this is also one of the very few newer machines that actually make a concentric coil.
Yes, and their 7" Concentric works well and is a nice physical design.

However, I think they erred on their 9" Concentric coil, at least by comparison to other 9" coils on the market of either DD or Concentric design. How is that? It feels a bit heavier than comparable 9" Concentric coils, and while I like the initial appearance of the coil, that turned to a frown when I saw they put the rod-mount 'ears' close to the rear of the search coil rather than centered which would have made a much better balanced design. Instead, it has a nose-heavy feel and an awkward handling with the rear rod-mount, and can tend to 'flop' or easily get knocked/bumper out of a proper level-to-the-ground relationship.

Kickindirt
Park is really trashy with old and modern trash mixed all over the place.
And if it is "really trashy" ith both old and newer type junk, that can make it very difficult to try and attain and practical depth of detection due to target masking.

Kickindirt
This is a pretty good size park with some really tricky ground. The ground is strange. It's not highly mineralized. Yet for some reason this ground throws all machines for a strange loop. Nickels sometimes pop up as dimes and quarters signals. Coins are deep 8-10" range and still lots of shallow masking going on too. Oh and the mighty old beer pull tabs fall all over the vdi range and depth range. Is no identifying these pull tabs. Not even with the great equinox 800. I'm just thinking the anfibio with the 9" concentric will go deep and give the ground a new look to pick out a few more goodies.
To get any efficient and consistent depth, if coins can be 8" to 10" deep, it's a must to clean out all the shallower and unwanted trash in order to eliminate masking so as to reasonably achieve deeper target detection. I do like the Anfibio Multi and some of the coils but not a fan of their 9" due to poor design of the rod mount and weight/balance.

As for nickels and other coins producing a incorrect and often higher VDI read-out, that's normal in many ground environments. Just a reason what visual TID with any detector is never going to be 100% accurate ... or even close to that percentage ... if we search a wide range of sites and challenges.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: F-44, Nokta-Makro: FORS CoRe and FORS Relic, Teknetics: Omega 8000,
Tesoro: Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, White's: XLT, XP: ORX
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

My original plan of attack for deep coin shooting thinking

Kickindirt 175 April 19, 2019 10:47PM

My 'forrmer' to 'current' plan of attack for DEEP coins.

Monte 138 April 24, 2019 08:38PM

Re: My 'forrmer' to 'current' plan of attack for DEEP coins. Attachments

Kickindirt 98 April 24, 2019 11:12PM

A real tough place.

UtahRich 115 April 19, 2019 11:59PM

Re: A real tough place. Yes Rich

Kickindirt 104 April 20, 2019 12:57AM

D&P-OR 75 May 05, 2019 02:30PM

Kickindirt 73 May 05, 2019 05:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 34
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018