Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cindy, please read the replies before you respond. Also, if you will, quit with the 'woman' talk.

May 27, 2019 03:15AM avatar
NWCindy
Well you likely recognize what I'm talking about at any rate.
There was no 'likely' about it. I knew what you were asking, which I answered by describing that 'Tom' by name, and was sort of surprised because I believe most folks who have been detecting for thirty years or more and are active enough most likely read one or more major detecting Forums and would have seen 'that' Tom post on Findmall, Treasure Net or some other major or popular sites during the past 25 years of Internet Forums.. I only know two people, personally, who have found a dozen or more US Gold Coins plus I've spoken with, e-mailed with, and read about the gold coin finds made by that Tom down in California.

NWCindy
As for not inviting a woman no big surprise there. Some guys are funny that way.
Here you committed a few errors, in my opinion.

1.. You bring up that crap about not inviting a woman no big surprise there, and with over 54 years of very Avid Detecting I don't ever remember a blanket feeling about "not inviting a female on a hunt or outing." I have founded or co-founded three Metal Detecting Clubs since 1981, and through the years 'women' of all ages in those clubs have been very active and played several very important roles. The better ones, just like the better guys, have been and are great examples for the club and hobby in general.

Am I saying all the guys and gals? Nope! Would I go out-of-my-way to invite just any guy or any gal to come hunt a special site I have researched and/or located? Nope! And why not? Because some guys and some gals in life are maybe just a bit:

Foul mouthed, and I don't care for that.

Rude and selfish, such as horning in on a specific area I was searching rather than allowing a reasonable distance.

Don't appreciate or respect such an invite and will sneak back on or share, even if it is a 'permission' I have.

Overly Competitive, and I have found this to be an issue that especially applies to Guys much more than Gals. The offenders often try to find the most, the oldest, the most valuable, the best looking condition, and so-on and so--on.

Matter of fact, I can only think of two females that I really didn't like much. Why? Because one, now gone, stretched the truth about a supposed find of two Gold Coins on the Oregon Trail on Mt. Hood, Oregon, and a very supple leather pouch thy allegedly were in that was an "Indian pouch." And that same person also tried to enter her personal, custom made and engraved ring in a F.O.M. Competition one month, and also displayed a coupe of cleaned-looking Mercury Dimes, gold ring(s), and other objects on some weekend club outings .... after only hunting about 15 minutes each time, and basically was just full of crap.

The other of the two was flat-out stupid when it came to this hobby. Didn't know what type of detector she used. Didn't know the difference between types of search coils. Bought and sold detectors often enough but couldn't answer simple questions about them, such as if the GB functions in the Disc. mode or not; what type of GB the detector had; didn't even know what GB does or doesn't do; etc. But she'd boast about her finds and give credit to what she was using and her skills, and discount the fact that 'location' is the important element in our overall success.

2.. Then after drawing attention to women you attack the guys when you say: "Some guys are funny that way." Perhaps, but I have found more women to resist going detecting with a guy unless they have other friends along with them they already know. I know a lot of people who are loaners and prefer to hunt alone and don't invite anyone, or perhaps they are just very selective and only invite close friends or detecting buddies.

Now, I am very often in that category as I have had several places that I have hunted during five decades that produced well for me and don't like to make a big 'Welcome' to a lot of people. Just selected friends. And note, I said 'friends' without limiting them to only guys or only gals. Why don't I limit my 'welcome alongs' to only a specific gender? Because when I look back over the past 30-35 years and count my "TOP TEN" favorite Hunting Buddies, who are all people I personally like and consider to be honest, decent people who enjoy this great sport and want to learn more and enjoy-the-hunt, at least 8-out-of-10 have been women.

For a while it was 10-for-10 who were all females, and at the low point it was an even draw of 5 guys and 5 gals in my Top Ten favorites as some have passed away, but others have moved on up to fill the void. When it was all 10 being females there were 7 of the 10 who were single, divorced or their husband had passed away. At other times a gal's husband was also someone I considered to be in the Top Ten because they also enjoyed this great sport and were not greedy, stingy, foul mouthed, and they were doing their best to learn more or hunt more and appreciated invites and opportunities ... Also, they shared invites and places they had access to. They are people I like which also makes the hunts we had more enjoyable.

Are women outnumbered by men in this sport? Yes. It's a great outdoor hobby I have long enjoyed and it can be appealing to anyone ... perhaps. I am sure there are gals who like to go fishing, hunt big game, walk fields and marshes to hunt upland birds and waterfowl, take to the woods and brush to hunt squirrels and rabbits, and go the a range to compete in Competition Shooting. My cousin's wife did a tune-up on my vehicle back in the early '80s, and I know some women enjoy auto mechanics, and others like to snowmobile or get off-road with ATVs and RUVs.

Back when Horseshoe Courts were active with competitors I very, very seldom ... almost never ... saw women out pitching horseshoes, There have been many, many outdoor sports that have appealed far more to men than to women, not that they have to be, but for various reasons they just have been. But I don't think this hobby is that lopsided except for things like families with young children often have women tied up with child care, and in this modern era many families are made up of both husbands and wives working different jobs and different hours. That can keep both of them from enjoying this sport. But I also know families with only a couple or some with older children still at home and metal detecting is enjoyed by at least the couple and often the older children as well.

But there are two things that have really bothered me about you post:

First, I only answered your question, pointing out that Tom of California was the Tom you inquired about --- then I simply stated he most likely would not just invite you, or anyone, to come and join him on a search of his favorite sites. Tom finds old stuff. Tom puts in time finding sites, and hunting them hard, and he's also in a state known to have a better opportunity to chance upon gold coins. That's why he's at a dozen or more.

He does go out hunting with others, once he knows them, but he doesn't know you and that's why I stated that. I NEVER said he wouldn't take YOU, specifically, nor did I say anything about him not taking a female. I never used the word 'woman' in my response. Instead, you blurt out some bologna about it being a guy thing and saying it is no surprise that he's that way.

That applies to you as well. You'll find some sites to hunt, perhaps from contacts with contractors or city workers for repair, or you might research something up, but you are not quick to just invite anyone to a special place you like to hunt. Why not? For the very reasons I mentioned earlier. Some people can't be trusted. They'll sneak back onto a site that you found and invited them to, or even have permission, but they'll sneak back on and not let you know about it.

All I said was this: "But I don't think so unless you visited California or enjoyed a hunt, with him, but I kind of doubt that 'Tom' would openly welcome you to his sites. And there are a lot of folks named 'Tom' and 'Chris, ' but here's the answer." and there was no mention about 'women.'

And Secondly, it took me a couple of days to respond to your post because I have been busy with some family business and away from the forums and home. During that time I read Del's comment back to you, but even worse .... I have had PM's, e-mails and a couple of phone calls specifically about your post and you. The comments, mostly from males but two females, complained that you didn't read my response and drug up the 'woman' thing out of the blue. They added that quite often you will post a reply or multiple replies, that touch on the female thing or just go off astray about things not even part of the posted topic for discussion. Things not even metal detecting related.

My phone text messages, which I consider a PM on a Forum, got annoying from readers who found that simple post you made to be offensive. Both to women and men.

Well, that's about it. Please read anyone's posted comments completely before responding. Please refrain from going astray, especially with all the 'woman' and 'women' comments. As I stated, over the past 39 years or so, the Top Ten favorite people I like to hunt with have averaged 8 out of 10. Due to death and in some cases people getting to old and stepping out of the hobby, the number of females and friends I still consider in my Top Ten is now down to 4. I wish more women would get into the hobby, or just get more active in it .

And ALL of the 11 WTHO's since early 2015 and are about to wrap up June 13th thru 16th in Wells, Nevada, are open to ANY Hobbyist or Avid Detectorist, of any gender.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Nokta-Makro:(3), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(4), White's:(1), XP:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Gold Coins and the Finders I've known.

Monte 126 May 23, 2019 08:11AM

Re: Gold Coins and the Finders I've known. Hers mine 1859 $5 Attachments

Kickindirt 94 May 24, 2019 08:42AM

Re: Gold Coins and the Finders I've known. Hers mine 1859 $5

Utah1971 45 May 27, 2019 11:09AM

Re: Gold Coins and the Finders I've known. Here's mine 1859 $5. Thanks Eric see you soon buddy!! N/T

Kickindirt 45 May 27, 2019 11:35AM

Here’s my 1859 $5. thumbs up

UtahRich 57 May 27, 2019 10:37AM

Re: Here’s my 1859 $5. thumbs up

OregonGregg 47 May 27, 2019 11:52AM

Kickindirt 41 May 27, 2019 12:03PM

Kickindirt 48 May 27, 2019 10:49AM

jmaryt 51 May 24, 2019 06:52PM

Kickindirt 55 May 24, 2019 07:17PM

jmaryt 36 May 26, 2019 09:38AM

NWCindy 63 May 24, 2019 11:18AM

OregonGregg 63 May 24, 2019 11:16AM

Kickindirt 53 May 24, 2019 11:26AM

NWCindy 59 May 24, 2019 11:20AM

Re: Gold Coins and the Finders I've known.

D&P-OR 87 May 23, 2019 10:22AM

Tom's Gold Coin success and thoughts forthe rest of us.

Monte 89 May 23, 2019 10:45PM

Re: Tom's Gold Coin success and thoughts forthe rest of us.

Cal_Cobra 39 May 31, 2019 11:12AM

NWCindy 94 May 24, 2019 08:29PM

I don't know if you know him, personally, or have hunted with him.

Monte 83 May 25, 2019 02:15PM

Re: I don't know if you know him, personally, or have hunted with him.

NWCindy 80 May 25, 2019 04:08PM

NWCindy 80 May 25, 2019 04:03PM

Cindy, please read the replies before you respond. Also, if you will, quit with the 'woman' talk.

Monte 58 May 27, 2019 03:15AM

Re: Cindy, please read the replies before you respond. Also, if you will, quit with the 'woman' talk.

WM6 57 May 27, 2019 09:00AM

WM6, here is a corrected reply.

Monte 79 May 27, 2019 11:04AM

Re: WM6, here is a corrected reply.

WM6 47 May 28, 2019 06:29AM

Re: WM6, here is a corrected reply.

jmaryt 45 May 28, 2019 09:00AM

Re: I don't know if you know him, personally, or have hunted with him. Attachments

OregonGregg 90 May 25, 2019 07:40PM

NWCindy 61 May 26, 2019 12:10AM

D&P-OR 69 May 25, 2019 07:55PM

D&P-OR 61 May 25, 2019 05:36PM

WM6 87 May 24, 2019 08:20AM

Cal_Cobra 37 May 31, 2019 11:27AM

WM6 37 June 03, 2019 06:46AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018