Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WM6, here is a corrected reply.

May 27, 2019 11:04AM avatar
WM6
Monte
(She)" Bought and sold detectors often enough but couldn't answer simple questions about them, such as if the GB functions in the Disc. mode or not; what type of GB the detector had; didn't even know what GB does or doesn't do; etc. "

Monte

What a statement Monte.

I am sure that not only some "She"s, but most male detectorist are not able to answer your "simple" questions about their detectors, such as: if the GB functions in the Disc. mode or not; what type of GB the detector had; and that they didn't even know what GB does or doesn't do, especially if we are speaking to understand such terms technically.
Correct, many beginner Hobbyists, or those with very little experience and relatively 'new' to the sport, might not know all the answers. I think they should if they researched what they were investing $$$$ in, but No, many don't. And No, I am not singling nit out to any particular gender except in my initial post which was mentioning two females who I wouldn't invite to any special sites I had permission to hunt. One is now dead and the other isn't.

And to the posted comment, below, which you referred to the still living, I believe, female in your post:

"Didn't know what type of detector she used. Didn't know the difference between types of search coils. Bought and sold detectors often enough but couldn't answer simple questions about them, such as if the GB functions in the Disc. mode or not; what type of GB the detector had; didn't even know what GB does or doesn't do; etc. But she'd boast about her finds and give credit to what she was using and her skills, and discount the fact that 'location' is the important element in our overall success."It wasn't always a more technical question about what the operating frequency was, which she didn't know, but other less-technical questions, like

→ What mode were you using? ... (And she didn't know what 'mode' she used or had on the detector.)

→ I want to find everything .. so I asked if she was using the All Metal mode? Yes. ... (Then I find out she was using a detector that doesn't have an All Metal mode.)

→ Or she would acquire (Buy or Trade) another detector, THEN ask if it was good for the types of sites she hunted.

→ Other kind of 'simple' stuff would also bring about a nutty question or comment.

→ Questions too frequently so I ask, "Have you read the Owner's Manual?" ... No. (So I wonder why they don't put out any effort on their part to learn?)

WM6
Most, even complicated, detectors provide some sort of "turn & go" options for less experienced detectorist. And this can go with finding success lifelong.
True, but there's often a good reason WHY a detector manufacturer makes the design decisions they do. Over time, if a person hangs in this great sport long enough, they should start reading, asking and learning, because with knowledge comes improved skills and better detector selection and handling. My Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic, Teknetics T2+, White's XLT, Teknetics Omega 8000 and Fisher F44's (in my Target ID and Tone ID group) all have their own personalities, thus they each need to be learned and better understood which, really, is our own responsibility.

WM6
Same with car: driver do not need to know, at which engine rpm is its torque optimal, to successfully and safe drive his car.
First, while mostly correct, it seems like it would be good to know some of those particulars about the vehicle. But while to don't know the engine's displacement, they sure ought to know if it is an automatic or manual transmission, and if manual, how to work the cutch and properly shift gears, both up-shift and down-shift. Also what the various controls are and how to use them to do things like Open the Sunroof when it's not raining and close it when rain arrives; turn on and adjust the heater and AC system and vents; how to and when to make us of any 4 wheel drive system; and other handling things like how to parallel park; turn the wheels and set the emergency brake when parking on an incline and so on and so on.

Anyone, male or female, can drive a car. Some females might drive a car with a manual transmission whereas some males don't understand it and only drive automatics. But those are usually personal choices. They know what they can do or can't do, so that selection is their personal option.

And so it is to a degree with metal detectors. They can use a non Target ID and non-Tone ID Tesoro. They could use a simple turn on and go detector with the factory preset ground balance, such as a Tesoro Silver Sabre, White's Classic ID, Teknetics Delta, and many, many others.

Naturally someone might select the detector like a Teknetics Omega, Fisher F44, Makro Racer 2, White's MX-7, Garrett AT Pro, or many other detectors that have automated or fixed Ground Balance and or manual GB. Those are all personal choices and anyone, of any gender, can pick a make or model that they feel will work best for them

And if someone makes a particular metal detector choice, logically presuming they have thought their choice out and selected a detector that they feel will work better for them, I would certainly hope that they have studied what the features are they want and understand what features the detector has, and what those features can or maybe can't do.

That's what I am talking about. People who make errors in their own shopping because they didn't really research the models and ask questions to know what features it has or doesn't have.

It's when people should have thought things out, and should have made a logical decision, and don't even read the Owner's Manual to better understand it, and then they ask questions that they should have understood from the manual. Or they make statements related to their detector that may or may not be correct, but plain and simply they just don't know any better.

Sadly, a lot of people will make a metal detector purchase or a search coil purpose without really asking questions, reading up on, and knowing ahead of time, what they are doing. Worse yet is when someone owns one or more detectors but hasn't tried to learn them on their own, and then they come out with questions that I might consider to be plain old stupid.
They haven't really thought it out, they haven't really tried to search it out, and they evidently didn't even contact the dealer they bought it from, a close hunting buddy, or just send an email or make a phone call to get an answer. Instead they ask a question on a forum and even when they get a good answer they still don't seem to understand. And why don't they understand? Because, it would appear that they really aren't making any serious progress to learn what is usually in their owner manual or could easily be asked and then explained and demonstrated by a local dealer, a club member, or a detecting buddy.

And my comment were general descriptions, and the two gals I referred to that, to me, I never really cared to invite detecting to any place I considered to be special site were the one, now deceased, who lied about stuff and cheated in Club meetings and Club activities. Man of the members of the club she had moved away from had told me that they were really glad to see her gone.

And the other one was, as I said, a gal who is just stupid, and to me stupid is someone who does not try hard enough on their own to learn things about, read things about, or know about basic questions that could be asked or an understanding of their detector or detectors.

Now, I'm not talking more technical references like what is the operating frequency. I might ask if they ground balanced or what ground balance method they used and they don't know. Sometimes I will ask what search mode they were using when trying to answer a question, but they don't know what a search mode is. I might ask a simple question such as did you run the discrimination up to reject all Ferrous targets or maybe did you run the discrimination at a point just to accept iron nails. Simple question and simple answer but sometimes they don't know.

To me that falls in the category of people who haven't learned, or they just don't know and if that's the case to me, they haven't tried to learn. So if I am referring to anyone who just isn't interested in trying, then to me that is someone who is stupid. If someone's reading my response and they didn't understand before, then just consider how much effort they've put out and they can figure out whether they have common sense answers, and if not then, to me, they're stupid. And that doesn't mean people are going to be stupid all their life. All they have to do is make an effort and learn.

That means think things through if they want to know about and learn. Think their question out so it makes sense to anyone reading their question, then ask it and be specific enough so that people will understand and provide some beneficial help.

And again, my reply is not gender-based. It is not directed towards women, towards children, or towards anyone who might be educationally handicapped. As a matter of fact, and as you pointed out, There are a lot of guys who know less than most guys, and honestly know less than a lot of savvy women.

My response was simply based upon personal life experiences. Most people, of any gender, can learn the basics of metal detecting and metal detector operation and be successful if they will get out and use their equipment. They'll be more successful if they will learn as they go to have better knowledge of their detecting skills and their detecting gear. Simple

One thing NWCindy had said that is generally correct is that there are not that many women in this wonderful sport. That's true. It is predominantly a male-oriented outdoor hobby and not because men don't try to get more women interested, but because it just isn't something that appeals to a lot of women. And because there are more males in the metal detecting hobby it is only logical that more males will end up irritating me because they just don't try. Not a gender thing. Just a personal thing that too many people get into this Hobby but don't make the effort to learn. I'm sure you know quite a few people who don't have the knowledge and skill level to understand their detectors or know how to use them successfully at your level of skill.

I know that I and many others will see people doing something that we consider is wrong or just not as successful as it could be, and we might go out of our way to suggest things to them to try to help them be more successful and enjoy the sport more. Do they all change? Do they all seem to listen? The answer is No and the result is that sometimes it can be frustrating to us.

No, gender should not be a factor in who we go detecting with, who we invite to go detecting with, or who we try to get involved in the hobby. Anyone and everyone ought to try and give metal detecting a go and see if it might be an experience they would enjoy in life. On my way back from Idaho today I stopped for a while to visit with a gal, as in female or woman, to give her a little Hands-On help and answer some questions she had. She's new to the Hobby with a hand-me-down detector and she's would like to learn more about it, but also feels it might be lacking in features and performance for what detecting she wants to do. Her questions to me were common sense and practical and made a point which inspires me to help anyone who is trying. She also feels that if I don't mind stopping to give her a little help, it will help her get out to detect more and be more successful, and hopefully Inspire her husband to get interested in metal detecting himself and join her in this Hobby.

So yes, people can pick a detector that you or I or someone else might feel is a bad choice, or they may select a site to hunt but not know how to hunt it most effectively. That happens all the time especially by newcomers. Any Avid Detectorist, who has long enjoyed this great sport should, I would reason, make an effort to help others. It's that simple. And honestly through the many years I've enjoyed detecting I have seen more good examples from the feminine gender when it comes to learning and putting out effort to improve their skills. And I have seen more stupid males because they just don't seem to try to learn as hard as a comparable number of females.

If someone takes my response earlier to be negative towards women, then they read it wrong. If I just randomly picked people I enjoy detecting with, because their detecting efforts are good, they show they're willing to learn and improve, and they're just pleasurable people to be around, then my random selection would likely have just about a 50/50 split of guys and gals.

And it would have a very high to 100% group of people who are pretty savvy about what's going on. And that means it would have a very small percentage to 0% make-up of people who would generally appear to be stupid.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Nokta-Makro:(3), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(4), White's:(1), XP:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2019 03:14PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Gold Coins and the Finders I've known.

Monte 127 May 23, 2019 08:11AM

Re: Gold Coins and the Finders I've known. Hers mine 1859 $5 Attachments

Kickindirt 94 May 24, 2019 08:42AM

Re: Gold Coins and the Finders I've known. Hers mine 1859 $5

Utah1971 45 May 27, 2019 11:09AM

Re: Gold Coins and the Finders I've known. Here's mine 1859 $5. Thanks Eric see you soon buddy!! N/T

Kickindirt 45 May 27, 2019 11:35AM

Here’s my 1859 $5. thumbs up

UtahRich 57 May 27, 2019 10:37AM

Re: Here’s my 1859 $5. thumbs up

OregonGregg 47 May 27, 2019 11:52AM

Kickindirt 41 May 27, 2019 12:03PM

Kickindirt 48 May 27, 2019 10:49AM

jmaryt 51 May 24, 2019 06:52PM

Kickindirt 55 May 24, 2019 07:17PM

jmaryt 37 May 26, 2019 09:38AM

NWCindy 64 May 24, 2019 11:18AM

OregonGregg 63 May 24, 2019 11:16AM

Kickindirt 53 May 24, 2019 11:26AM

NWCindy 60 May 24, 2019 11:20AM

Re: Gold Coins and the Finders I've known.

D&P-OR 88 May 23, 2019 10:22AM

Tom's Gold Coin success and thoughts forthe rest of us.

Monte 89 May 23, 2019 10:45PM

Re: Tom's Gold Coin success and thoughts forthe rest of us.

Cal_Cobra 39 May 31, 2019 11:12AM

NWCindy 94 May 24, 2019 08:29PM

I don't know if you know him, personally, or have hunted with him.

Monte 84 May 25, 2019 02:15PM

Re: I don't know if you know him, personally, or have hunted with him.

NWCindy 80 May 25, 2019 04:08PM

NWCindy 81 May 25, 2019 04:03PM

Cindy, please read the replies before you respond. Also, if you will, quit with the 'woman' talk.

Monte 59 May 27, 2019 03:15AM

Re: Cindy, please read the replies before you respond. Also, if you will, quit with the 'woman' talk.

WM6 58 May 27, 2019 09:00AM

WM6, here is a corrected reply.

Monte 79 May 27, 2019 11:04AM

Re: WM6, here is a corrected reply.

WM6 48 May 28, 2019 06:29AM

Re: WM6, here is a corrected reply.

jmaryt 45 May 28, 2019 09:00AM

Re: I don't know if you know him, personally, or have hunted with him. Attachments

OregonGregg 90 May 25, 2019 07:40PM

NWCindy 62 May 26, 2019 12:10AM

D&P-OR 69 May 25, 2019 07:55PM

D&P-OR 61 May 25, 2019 05:36PM

WM6 88 May 24, 2019 08:20AM

Cal_Cobra 38 May 31, 2019 11:27AM

WM6 37 June 03, 2019 06:46AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018