Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Detectors, here and coming soon, means it's evaluation time.

May 28, 2019 11:14AM avatar
It has been an interesting 4½ years, for me at least, as we've watched some remarkable progress in R&D in the serious metal detector design group, especially from detector makers from abroad, but only very slow progress from those here in the USA. Tesoro, now defunct, has quite a loyal following, including me, and the Tesoro Forum has almost twelve times the number of posts here on AHRPS Forums than Garrett who has been, and is, a real sleeper. Not much new, creative or functionally practical to compete in today's industry trends.

White's, a long-time very popular brand, has been very sluggish for quite a while and perhaps the best models they have in their current line-up are the waterproof MX Sport and land-based MX-7. Virtually everything else is well overpriced or a bad mix of over-sized standard coils and/or poor performance. If it wasn't for 'zincoln' and his persistent performance, even the V3i wouldn't draw much attention. They currently have the highest number of brand-oriented posts on AHRPS.

But they are followed in the number of brand posts by Nokta / Makro, then Tesoro, then XP, followed by Minelab and next to last Fisher & Teknetics. The USA based manufacturers just seem to be dragging their feet, and quite possibly two of them likely don't have the design engineering group (Garrett and White's) to catch up or develop anything genuinely marketable in today's world. Fisher & Teknetics do have the engineering staff and they have stayed in the game and help set some marks in the industry with some model rebranding and adjusting to lower retail prices and some marketing changes. The Fisher F44, of which I bought two units, are a competitive budget-dollar device with useful newer features such as Iron Audio Volume and ability to save your custom settings, plus a versatile search coil selection.

I can only imagine Fisher & Teknetics being able to weather the storm and hang in there to bring us truly new competitive featured products in the near future from the US market. Years ago we lead the race but manufacturers are dragging their feet. Probably the products from FTP were setting a better pace with the Teknetics T2 and then the Fisher F75 where we started seeing more foreign to us, competition. The main brand before recently to compete had been the MInelab offerings, but for the most part they worked for some uses but were heavier and had an awkward balance. that was, for many of us, a terrible feel and quickly fatiguing. But they had their strengths for certain applications.

Next to arrive that was sellable here in the USA was one model, the Deus, from XP Detectors. Then from out-of-the-blue arrived Nokta and then Makro. That dimmer light brightened in late 2014 and early 2015 with the introduction of the Nokta FORS CoRe. I was provided a FORS CoRe that arrived on January 8th of 2015 and, for me, that was also like flipping on a light switch as in a matter of a few days that one model caused me to start parting with the bulk of my personal Regular-Use Detector Outfit. Comfortable weight, balance and very impressive performance for the very difficult iron infested sites I hunt most often was the reason.

Minelab was then starting to trail the rest of the newer guys due to not having a lighter-weight detector, or a faster processing detector, or just lacking the ability to hunt in very tough iron challenged environments. XP's Deus was gaining a lot of momentum with only that one model, and the Nokta/ Makro folks were progressing very quickly with introductions of the Racer then Gold racer and FORS Gold + since the gold market is doing well. Then the Racer 2, FORS Relic, Impact, and then into the waterproof offerings like the Kruzer series and now Anfibio series. All in 4 to 5 years. And also in this fast-paced design progress we have had the Minelab Equinox series out now for a little over a year and with this they gave us a detector that was lighter weight, lower priced, and definitely works a lot better than their BBS and FBS models for serious hunting in dense iron contaminated environments.

Like many others I have been wondering how long some of the other American-based manufacturers will be able to hang in there before they follow the way of Tesoro to wrap things up and close their doors. Honestly, it's not looking very hopeful for White's or Garrett who might only linger for a while since they are assembled here in the USA (with many foreign-made parts) for misled loyalists of USA branded products. FTP, I am sure, will be the next manufacturer to bring out a few newer and upgraded featured models to hang in there, and I hope to see some creative offerings from them in the near future.

But today we have two newer models of interest. One is the recently introduced XP ORX, and another that should be released anytime soon is the Nokta / Makro Simplex. Nokta / Makro really set a new lower bar for MSRP in the industry and will continue to do so with their Simplex. I've been fortunate to be on evaluating 'teams' in the past for most of the models starting with the CoRe and original Racer right through the Anfibio series, but wasn't on the Simplex test-team. I am as eager as anyone to see them introduced and have already set the $$$ aside to invest in one once first released. It will be an entry-level, waterproof 'simple' device with upscale performance. I am eager to test one.

The other model that is already out and I should have one shipped to me today is the XP ORX. This is another 'simplified' detector that is kind of a Deus cousin that is somewhat simplified with limited modes, features and functions, yet still claimed to offer in-the-field performance comparable with the higher-dollar Deus. The Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relics are, and will continue to be, my primary two detectors for taking on the more challenging ghost town, homestead and encampment sites I mainly hunt, most of which have some really terrible dense iron contamination to deal with.

I need to get it in my hands to work with for several days before heading to our 11th Welcome-to-Hunt Outing that is coming up June 13th thru 16th out of Wells, Nevada. (This is another Outing that is open to anyone who would like to have some fun, find old stuff, and meet some great participants.) Joel, better known as Kickindirt here on the AHRPS Forums, has used a lot of other competitive brands but ended up going back to the XP Deus as his primary-use detector. He learned it well, and has done remarkably well, working the older sites we enjoy and praises the performance afield of the Deus. We all can learn to adapt to the nuances of different makes and models, and I decided I am willing to give the ORX a fair shake and see if there is anything there in the way of versatility that will work for me. I'll learn very soon.

So, staring next week I'll be putting the XP ORX, and soon the Nokta / Makro Simplex when released, to good work in a variety of Coin Hunting and relic hunting applications as the summer huntable weather arrives to learn what these new devices are capable or, from my standpoint, and I'll share the results afield on the respective XP Detectors Forum and the Nokta / Makro Detection Technologies Forum here on AHRPS Forums.

By the way, if you are shopping for either of these new and coming products, or other makes and models, I encourage you to contact 'Kickindirt' who is already selling or taking orders for both of these models.

I hope everyone has the opportunity to get out and put in their own hunting time, and I'll be reporting back on my results, success, and reviews of these two detectors as I go.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Nokta-Makro:(3), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(4), White's:(1), XP:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

New Detectors, here and coming soon, means it's evaluation time.

Monte 229 May 28, 2019 11:14AM

Re: New Detectors, here and coming soon, means it's evaluation time.

Digstrashtomuch 102 May 30, 2019 01:18PM

OregonGregg 124 May 30, 2019 06:56PM

eye popping smileyN/T

UtahRich 40 May 30, 2019 09:52PM

glabelle 100 May 30, 2019 08:40PM

OregonGregg 88 May 30, 2019 11:35PM

glabelle 73 May 31, 2019 08:17AM

The EQ800 - Does it qualify for Monte's House of Horrors ?

UtahRich 69 May 31, 2019 06:24PM

Re: The EQ800 - Does it qualify for Monte's House of Horrors ?

glabelle 84 May 31, 2019 07:26PM

George, taking an evaluation break so I'll add two brief replies.

Monte 81 June 03, 2019 10:14AM

Wells

UtahRich 57 May 31, 2019 09:30PM

OregonGregg 85 May 31, 2019 09:10AM

glabelle 76 May 31, 2019 09:44AM

Holy Mackerel !!!!

OregonGregg 126 May 29, 2019 07:04AM

Re: Holy Mackerel !!!!

Utah1971 71 May 29, 2019 07:58AM

Re: Holy Mackerel !!!! Attachments

OregonGregg 86 May 29, 2019 10:52AM

Re: Holy Mackerel !!!!

D&P-OR 55 May 29, 2019 09:07PM

Goin' to the Dogs. . .

UtahRich 54 May 29, 2019 07:54PM

Ugly Xmas Sweater?

zincoln 53 May 29, 2019 01:14PM

Re: Holy Mackerel !!!! DUDE really tongue sticking out smiley

Kickindirt 62 May 29, 2019 12:53PM

New Detectors - Finding What's Left.

UtahRich 79 May 28, 2019 11:52PM

New or current Detectors: What works well for "Finding What's Left."

Monte 65 June 03, 2019 01:27PM

Re: New Detectors - Finding What's Left.

OregonGregg 57 May 29, 2019 05:25PM

Re: New Detectors - Finding What's Left.

UtahRich 49 May 29, 2019 08:18PM

forgive me if I'm not real excited :-)

glabelle 73 May 28, 2019 09:50PM

Agree on many points

zincoln 66 May 28, 2019 11:17PM

Keys to success and the V3i

glabelle 56 May 29, 2019 07:12AM

Re: Agree on many points

NWCindy 65 May 29, 2019 04:09AM

NWCindy 68 May 28, 2019 09:15PM

You ask: "... I hope you're ready to instruct" - - - and I answer: 'Nope.'

Monte 85 May 29, 2019 04:44AM

Re: You ask: "... I hope you're ready to instruct" - - - and I answer: 'Nope.'

NWCindy 59 May 29, 2019 04:58AM

Delivery Update: A new XP ORX is hoped to arrive by Friday the 31st.

Monte 86 May 28, 2019 08:21PM

Kickindirt 61 May 28, 2019 07:33PM

Yes, "you told me so," but I like 'simple' ...

Monte 93 May 28, 2019 08:48PM

Re: Yes, "you told me so," but I like 'simple' ...

Digstrashtomuch 73 May 30, 2019 04:26PM

Lance, my XP ORX arrived yesterday morning.

Monte 70 May 31, 2019 08:04AM

Re: Lance, my XP ORX arrived yesterday morning.

GeoW 61 June 02, 2019 12:09AM

Oh, I was "ready for it," and I've been "giving it a chance."

Monte 65 June 02, 2019 12:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018