Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

George, taking an evaluation break so I'll add two brief replies.

June 03, 2019 10:14AM avatar
glabelle
Gregg, what advantage does a Fors CoRe, operating at 15KHz have over any other machine operating at 15KHz?

Serious question. How is it better?
Here's a serious answer.

First, I'll address the Nokta FORS CoRe because I am still using the first one I've owned since January of 2015. But I'll add the 19 kHz Nokta FORS Relic, which I have had since January of 2016, along with the 14 kHz Makro Racer 2, also using since January of 2016. There is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector that handles everything perfectly, so for me and the types of sites I generally search, I have selected the makes and models that fill a niche for me. That handle the different needs I have for a detector and coil combination to take on successfully for me.

I have some Coin Hunting models that are fun to use (and 'FUN' is an important ingredient in why I enjoy metal detecting), and in most cases I am not dealing with really dense iron / ferrous junk. What I have and use works just fine for me. But if needed, my dedicated Relic Hunting detectors can also be put to work for urban Coin Hunting tasks.

My 'get serious' detectors are the ones that can take on some of the more challenging iron / ferrous sites, and especially those that are really tough to hunt in. They are my Relic Hunting units that can help find the partially masked keepers in challenging iron where common Coin Hunting models struggle to perform.

The Nokta FORS CoRe (which operates at 15 kHz but that doesn't really have a lot to do with it) became the #1 unit in my Regular-Use Outfit in early January of 2015 for the very simple fact that it match, or out-performed, all my other detectors for serious Relic Hunting needs. it was so impressive that I parted with all of my other detectors except for an XLT and my two preferred Tesoro's, hanging onto my Omega 8000 'til the end of summer because it was still my favorite in-town, urban Coin Hunting model that worked great. By then the original Makro Racer took its place.

By then I had moved from the Portland Oregon area where there is an ample supply of Coin Hunting sites, to a dinky eastern Oregon town of ±560 people where I had very limited Coin Hunting opportunities. I spent most of my time Relic Hunting older, iron plagued sites since mid '83 and that's what I concentrated on. Then, 3½ years ago, I moved to the slightly bigger small town of Vale Oregon where I enjoy hunting older sites, but I am close to more Coin Hunting opportunities so I have built my Regular-Use Detector Outfit up with models that satisfy both endeavors. I am also always on-the-search for anything new and different that ... if it works well for my wants and needs ... might make a good fit in my serious-use detector outfit.

So far I haven't found one, and that includes what I have seen in performance from the Minelab EQ-800. I'm always eager for anyone familiar with the Equinox 800, especially with a 6" DD coil since I favor smaller-size coils the most, demonstrate for me how it can out-perform my preferred Relic Hunting devices in side-by-side tough comparisons. And I have two, and possibly three, models that tend to excel for my wants and needs in some nail-challenged comparisons.

The FORS CoRe is sort of tied with the FORS Relic for that top spot, favoring the FORS Relic in dense iron debris because it also features Iron Audio Volume for easy listening when I want to hear some iron as well as Tone Break. My #2 Relic Hunting device is the Makro Racer 2, but I mainly use it with the 7" Concentric coil for lower to modest amount of iron, but it still usually betters the competitor's models in most comparisons.

Right now I am evaluating the XP ORX w/5X9 DD coil and I'll be finishing up today, but at this point it also isn't a model that competes against the CoRe and Relic in some of those tough side-by-side tests.

glabelle
Monte's house of horrors is no match for my new (experimental / beta) technique! smiling smiley
Well, I will be looking ahead to find out. My 'House-of-Horrors' is taking on some of the ugliest of challenges in tough Relic Hunting sites. But I guess you could say some of my 'House-of-Horrors' is also taking on a few of the challenging test scenarios I use when I evaluate any make and model detector. I find a detector that suggests it might work well for me, then match up the better-performing search coil for the tough sites that abound with scattered trash, building rubble/debris, and also let me work in and around dense brush that is at the majority of the sites I like to find.

I'm hoping to make the WTHO late next week and plan to bring along a set of test sample scenarios so attendees can bring their favorite Relic Hunting detector and coil so we can all take our turn demonstrating to the group why we like what we use and how it can handle several demonstrations. I, like everyone else, will be interested to see just how well all the detectors preform on these tests.

I'll have two or three of my always-carry detectors on-hand to see if anyone's favorite units might grab my attention. Just might have to make room to add one more to my Outfit ... if they can out-perform what I currently favor.

glabelle
For the Nevada trip, I'm setting up the 800 thus and so: 2 tones, tone break at 6, recovery speed 6, iron bias 0, horseshoe, no discrimination, iron tone 1, all others 25 (I want to hear the iron). If I get an iron signal, I will remove the iron (with a powerful magnet) and then re-sweep that area. If I get a non ferrous signal, I will dig. That's the plan. It is my contention that most goodies (if still there), since these towns have been previously pounded, are masked by iron. I will use the 6" coil mostly, because I think the majority of hunting is now in the bushes, where nature has taken over.
The settings sound good and I look forward to seeing their performance. And the 6" DD coil is an attractive addition to the Minelab optional coils and would likely be the ONLY search coil I would use on an EQ-800 for most places I like to hunt ... IF, of course, the EQ-800 demonstrates performance that grabs my interest..

Monte

PS: I'll be e-mailing a WTHO reminder for the Nevada hunt this evening and it will include info about the late-day get-together we'll have some evening to bring our detectors and do some demonstrations of their abilities to others. I am sure a lot of folks still have a detector or two that doesn't work that well in those tough old ghost towns and would find it interesting.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: F-44, Nokta-Makro: FORS CoRe and FORS Relic,
Tesoro: Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, White's: XLT, XP: ORX
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

New Detectors, here and coming soon, means it's evaluation time.

Monte 392 May 28, 2019 11:14AM

Re: New Detectors, here and coming soon, means it's evaluation time.

Digstrashtomuch 175 May 30, 2019 01:18PM

OregonGregg 186 May 30, 2019 06:56PM

eye popping smileyN/T

UtahRich 79 May 30, 2019 09:52PM

glabelle 174 May 30, 2019 08:40PM

OregonGregg 128 May 30, 2019 11:35PM

glabelle 131 May 31, 2019 08:17AM

The EQ800 - Does it qualify for Monte's House of Horrors ?

UtahRich 123 May 31, 2019 06:24PM

Re: The EQ800 - Does it qualify for Monte's House of Horrors ?

glabelle 140 May 31, 2019 07:26PM

George, taking an evaluation break so I'll add two brief replies.

Monte 148 June 03, 2019 10:14AM

Wells

UtahRich 90 May 31, 2019 09:30PM

OregonGregg 147 May 31, 2019 09:10AM

glabelle 137 May 31, 2019 09:44AM

Holy Mackerel !!!!

OregonGregg 210 May 29, 2019 07:04AM

Re: Holy Mackerel !!!!

Utah1971 111 May 29, 2019 07:58AM

Re: Holy Mackerel !!!! Attachments

OregonGregg 123 May 29, 2019 10:52AM

Re: Holy Mackerel !!!!

D&P-OR 95 May 29, 2019 09:07PM

Goin' to the Dogs. . .

UtahRich 86 May 29, 2019 07:54PM

Ugly Xmas Sweater?

zincoln 87 May 29, 2019 01:14PM

Re: Holy Mackerel !!!! DUDE really tongue sticking out smiley

Kickindirt 112 May 29, 2019 12:53PM

New Detectors - Finding What's Left.

UtahRich 118 May 28, 2019 11:52PM

New or current Detectors: What works well for "Finding What's Left."

Monte 117 June 03, 2019 01:27PM

Re: New Detectors - Finding What's Left.

OregonGregg 93 May 29, 2019 05:25PM

Re: New Detectors - Finding What's Left.

UtahRich 86 May 29, 2019 08:18PM

forgive me if I'm not real excited :-)

glabelle 107 May 28, 2019 09:50PM

Agree on many points

zincoln 107 May 28, 2019 11:17PM

Keys to success and the V3i

glabelle 89 May 29, 2019 07:12AM

Re: Agree on many points

NWCindy 102 May 29, 2019 04:09AM

NWCindy 105 May 28, 2019 09:15PM

You ask: "... I hope you're ready to instruct" - - - and I answer: 'Nope.'

Monte 160 May 29, 2019 04:44AM

Re: You ask: "... I hope you're ready to instruct" - - - and I answer: 'Nope.'

NWCindy 103 May 29, 2019 04:58AM

Delivery Update: A new XP ORX is hoped to arrive by Friday the 31st.

Monte 140 May 28, 2019 08:21PM

Kickindirt 135 May 28, 2019 07:33PM

Yes, "you told me so," but I like 'simple' ...

Monte 171 May 28, 2019 08:48PM

Re: Yes, "you told me so," but I like 'simple' ...

Digstrashtomuch 142 May 30, 2019 04:26PM

Lance, my XP ORX arrived yesterday morning.

Monte 105 May 31, 2019 08:04AM

Re: Lance, my XP ORX arrived yesterday morning.

GeoW 120 June 02, 2019 12:09AM

Oh, I was "ready for it," and I've been "giving it a chance."

Monte 115 June 02, 2019 12:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018