Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Stages of Old - It's all about the Dime.

June 19, 2019 01:00AM
For me i see Georgian and Victorian as pretty modern especially coinage as these had been the days of steam powered hammered presses that could knock out coins by the millions here in the UK.

Hand Forged 'Hammered' coinage is the golden age for me as the era spans nearly a 1000 years,these usually are our defacto standard coins as we always call them 'hammy' as they are hammered between 2 dies and hit with a hammer to give the front and reverse faces.

Roman bronzes going back 1700-1800 years are extremely common and as a result the value of these coins are worth peanuts and i mean peanuts,more than often because they are bronze and chemical that man has put on the land most are hard too identify.

Celtic 'BC' the most desirable are of course Celtic gold staters both full and 1/4 version,have ffound a fair few over the years and these come in gold,silver and bronze,one does not need telling which version is the most desirable.

BA (Bronze Age)1500BC this for me is what i call getting on a bit as these items like Axe heads and other desirable weapons and artefact are for me the holy grail of finds,especially BA torc's and other high status finds often associated with high status leader or just generally wealthy folks.

So for me Victorian/Georgian are often seen as modern and BA getting on LOL

Some of the tools of the trade that i use for different site situations here in the UK.

Equinox 600,Deusx2,T2,TDI Pro,Nexus MP,Nexus SE,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Mirage PI,Crossbow PI,Arado 120b,DFX and others.
Subject Author Views Posted

Stages of Old - It's all about the Dime.

UtahRich 85 June 19, 2019 12:34AM

I'm thrilled if I can scare up a Barber dime, my town date's to 1871.

Hombre 59 June 19, 2019 12:25PM

My "Stages of Old" are mainly tied to "Periods of Activity."

Monte 48 June 19, 2019 08:16AM

OregonGregg 46 June 19, 2019 06:54AM

RickUK 57 June 19, 2019 01:00AM

OregonGregg 47 June 19, 2019 07:03AM

Very good answer, Rick, and I envy your location.

Monte 51 June 19, 2019 03:03AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018