Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My "Stages of Old" are mainly tied to "Periods of Activity."

June 19, 2019 08:16AM avatar
Actually, both a 'Period of Activity' associated with the USA silver coin era of 1964 and earlier, as well as the 'Eras of Pioneering and Civilization Growth' or 'Notable Periods o Activity'.

We didn't corrupt the metal quality of our Dimes, Quarters and Halves until 1965 when we switched to the modern 'clad' coinage design. From 1964 on back all of those denominations were minted of 90% SILVER, or nearly that with the 89.xx% silver content of some of the early-to-mid 1800's Half-Dimes and a few other types. So when it comes to "Stages of Old" I consider 1964 and older for all those silver-based denominations.

A for other coin types, I consider all coins dating from 1949 on back. There are multiple reasons, such as:

1.. That makes them as old or older than me.

2.. When they were in use, all of the Dimes, Quarters and Halves that were lost would have been made of Silver, so silver coin potential was possible as there were no clad types used in those denominations back then.

3.. Most of the older coin types that were lost and now findable were also more attractive coins, at least to me, than the more current coins. Like the best Indian Head / Buffalo back Nickel. The Mercury, Barber and Seated Liberty Dimes, the Standing Liberty, Barber and Seated Liberty Quarters. Walking Liberty, barber and Seated Liberty Halves. ANY big silver Dollar, even to include the short-lived Peace Dollar.

4.. We could get into the harder-to-find and much earlier and/or short lived 'Older Cons' like the Large Cent, Two Cent and Three Cent Pieces, the Half-Dimes, and very desirable finds, like the Twenty Cent Piece! If it is a variety of denomination no longer made, then it certainly has to be considered a 'Stage of Old and Desirable.'

Also of interest to me, when I am intentionally out in search of any 'Old Coin,' is that I am most often hunting a more remote or isolated site, and when selecting a 'Location' to hunt I have found that most of the locations, alone, are very scenic, quiet and pleasant to be at. It just adds to the enjoyment of Old Coin Hunting.

Just how I look at things and select where I like to be for 'Stages of Old' and what I am looking for to fit that calling.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: F-44, Nokta-Makro: FORS CoRe and FORS Relic, Teknetics: Omega 8000,
Tesoro: Bandido II ┬ÁMAX and Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX, White's: XLT, XP: ORX
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Stages of Old - It's all about the Dime.

UtahRich 81 June 19, 2019 12:34AM

I'm thrilled if I can scare up a Barber dime, my town date's to 1871.

Hombre 55 June 19, 2019 12:25PM

My "Stages of Old" are mainly tied to "Periods of Activity."

Monte 44 June 19, 2019 08:16AM

Re: Stages of Old - It's all about the Dime.

OregonGregg 42 June 19, 2019 06:54AM

RickUK 53 June 19, 2019 01:00AM

OregonGregg 43 June 19, 2019 07:03AM

Very good answer, Rick, and I envy your location.

Monte 49 June 19, 2019 03:03AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018