Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'Thank You' as well, Del. All the considerations I've had.

June 30, 2019 11:42AM avatar
D&P-OR
Monte-----It would probably be best to plan the next WTHO for next Spring/early Summer.
Some areas 'Out West', especially the 'southern' areas, can be warm enough to access in early spring. Perhaps March to mid-April, if we can get some workable suggestions for sites that direction to plan for. Could even do February to March if in parts of New Mexico, Arizona and California. Even Texas, perhaps, or elsewhere, IF we have some hunt site referrals and can plan ahead.

D&P-OR
That way not only would participants be able to make (long range) plans for it---the grass/most under growth would be at a low point---and---it wouldn't be too hot of weather yet.
Knowing that it can sometimes get hot in the typical places we have selected over the past 5 years of Outings, we have usually planned them for April and May, but even the Nevada locations haven't been all that comfortable on some Outings. This year they were held there in mid-June and, overall, the weather was rather pleasant. Weather, naturally, isn't something we can predict when planning an Outing and we take it as it comes, but the same applies to the vegetation that might, or might not, be there.

I've been hunting ghost towns in Utah, Nevada and Oregon since 1969, and working them much harder (as in much more frequently) with some of my good friends since 1983. And those Nevada town sites we've worked since our Outings in 2015 we could sometimes hunt all year long, when there were very mild winters. And many summers, from early spring until fall arrived, we often worked the towns when other than sage brush there was very little to almost no weedy, grassy growth to deal with.

Again, that's seasonal and weather dependent because, if there's not a lot of snow and they get very little rain, they can stay close to naked. This year we happed to have a lot of late season rain from winter going into spring and on until late May and early June. The result is a lot of places, around here in Eastern Oregon as well as down in Central and Northern Utah and Nevada, are plagued with heavy weed growth. It can be cyclic and you just never know what to plan for and take it as it happens.

My favorite northern Utah town site of 'Twin Flats' often had 8" to 20" of snow on the ground most of the winter like when my cousin Gregg A. and I rabbit hunted out there. But around February 15th of 1991, Utah Rich and his young son and I went out and camped overnight to enjoy 2 days of Ghost Town Hunting. The ground was very dry, snow free, the day had pleasant enough temperatures, during the better parts of the daylight, and we both made memorable finds on that trip. very huntable and the ground was mostly dry and soft and easy to recover targets ... around the 15th of February on that high plateau desert. You just never know.eye rolling smiley

D&P-OR
Also, and here's something you didn't touch on----older people (like myself) that are retired & on a fixed income would have time to set funds aside for the outing.----These (long distance) outings can really eat into a persons resources that are on limited incomes.-----Being able to plan into the future a ways for them will "smooth things out".
On that note, also being in the older, retired and on a fixed income group, I have to plan my travels out as well. And seeing three doctors this past week and addressing new health matters, I've been reminded to keep my daily driving to no more than 1½-2 hours. I need to start working more on that, as well as my diabetes, high blood pressure, and new things they have found including blood clots.

So the Outing drives I need to pay attention to, and I am also going to try and plan maybe an extra month or two or three, if needed, between Outings in the futures than what we have in the past. That will allow a little more time to build up some extra needed travel funds for many/most of us.

D&P-OR
Those that are still working would have adequate time to make plans getting time of work to attend also.
I agree, and maybe adjusting a little more space between Outings will help everyone work out their planning schedule to attend more of them.

D&P-OR
Please don't set them up for "holiday time"smiling smiley------Just a few thoughts/suggestions.------------Del
I appreciate the suggestions/thoughts, and I do want to avoid routine 'Holiday' weekends. I look at Mother's Day, Memorial Day Weekend, Father's Day, a weekend close to the 4th of July, and Labor Day Weekend. Those periods make it a little difficult to fit our Outings to please everyone.

So I'll continue to work on Outing Locations and Dates for 2020, but really would appreciate some help from everyone with site suggestions, and even step forward to Host an Outing.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: F-44, Nokta-Makro: FORS CoRe and FORS Relic, Teknetics: Omega 8000,
Tesoro: Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, White's: XLT, XP: ORX
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Can we fit in one more WTHO this year?

Monte 83 June 26, 2019 01:00AM

Re: Can we fit in one more WTHO this year?

NWCindy 37 June 30, 2019 11:40AM

smiling smileyBumping the WTHO question back to the top.

Monte 62 June 29, 2019 04:49AM

Re: smiling smileyBumping the WTHO question back to the top.

Kickindirt 39 June 30, 2019 10:59AM

WTHO's 2019/2020

UtahRich 57 June 30, 2019 12:31AM

Thank You, Rich. You pointed out one of my main concerns ... Timing.

Monte 45 June 30, 2019 08:49AM

Re: Thank You, Rich. You pointed out one of my main concerns ... Timing.

D&P-OR 41 June 30, 2019 10:19AM

'Thank You' as well, Del. All the considerations I've had.

Monte 49 June 30, 2019 11:42AM

How about that "Twin Flat" site that you often refer to?

D&P-OR 57 June 30, 2019 01:30PM

Del, sad news about 'Twin Flats.'sad smiley

Monte 44 June 30, 2019 06:36PM

Re: smiling smileyBumping the WTHO question back to the top.

Digstrashtomuch 66 June 29, 2019 12:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 34
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018