Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Del, sad news about 'Twin Flats.'sad smiley

June 30, 2019 06:36PM avatar
D&P-OR
How about that "Twin Flat" site that you often refer to?----Is it open to detecting & could it be added on the WTHO list?------The sites up here in my area that I am aware of have been on the list & hunted quite a bit.---I can keep my eye out for possible new sites though.------The "Twin Flat" site sounds like a good one & with definite possibilities.---------Del
Well, right now 'Twin Flat' Utah (A name I gave it back on May 4th of '69) is not huntable, physically, because it has very dense and very tall weedy grasses. Worse than the sites we just visited in Nevada or those up between you and me we hunt here in Eastern Oregon.

Secondly, it is a lager-size chunk of land, but the previous Owners passed away and it went in a family trust. The trust, according to county records research a couple of months ago, shows that the ownership of most of that townsite is now, still, private property and in someone else's control. I hope to contact them in the next few months to try and gain permission, again.

Third, I hunted it on May 4th of '69, but I knew two fellows who hunted it in March of '69, and as detectors improved to TR's, TR-Disc, VLF/TR-Disc. and then to the 4-Filter early VLF/TR-Disc. and VLF-Disc. models, I hunted it as did others just passing by. In July of '83 we enjoyed a major change when Tesoro introduced a very good performing 2-Filter, slow-motion / quick-response detector and that made Ghost Town/ Relic Hunting much more rewarding, more enjoyable, and interest in that type of search really started to increase. I often made 4 to 8 trips or more out there every available month, and with the best success I have ever achieved at any individual site.. in over half-a-century of hunting.

I had several friends also make journeys out there, with Dean & Dennett M. taking their trailer/camper and spending 1 to 3 nights to hunt the site several days at a time. Folks I didn't particularly care for also figured out my prize location and made journeys out there pretty often, as did a couple of metal detecting clubs. And back then that included twice as many people as have attended our WTHO's! It helped me fill four binders of carded coins, and quite a few more that didn't get cleaned, carded and inserted, all from just that one townsite.

Oh, I am certain it still holds a few more desirables, but they take time and patience to find in this past decade, and a good detector & coil combination to unmask them from the iron and non-iron trash.

Fourth, it would be difficult to plan it for an Outing because there isn't a nearby town to use as a 'Base Camp' that would have food, gas, motels or even an RV Park.

There would be one or two additional reasons why it would not be a place to pick in these modern times of governmental employee annoyance.

I am still looking for other places of potential, but having them also be close to a handy town for food, fuel and a place to sleep gets a bit tricky.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: F-44, Nokta-Makro: FORS CoRe and FORS Relic, Teknetics: Omega 8000,
Tesoro: Bandido II ┬ÁMAX and Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX, White's: XLT, XP: ORX
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Can we fit in one more WTHO this year?

Monte 86 June 26, 2019 01:00AM

Re: Can we fit in one more WTHO this year?

NWCindy 37 June 30, 2019 11:40AM

smiling smileyBumping the WTHO question back to the top.

Monte 63 June 29, 2019 04:49AM

Re: smiling smileyBumping the WTHO question back to the top.

Kickindirt 41 June 30, 2019 10:59AM

WTHO's 2019/2020

UtahRich 58 June 30, 2019 12:31AM

Thank You, Rich. You pointed out one of my main concerns ... Timing.

Monte 45 June 30, 2019 08:49AM

Re: Thank You, Rich. You pointed out one of my main concerns ... Timing.

D&P-OR 41 June 30, 2019 10:19AM

'Thank You' as well, Del. All the considerations I've had.

Monte 52 June 30, 2019 11:42AM

How about that "Twin Flat" site that you often refer to?

D&P-OR 57 June 30, 2019 01:30PM

Del, sad news about 'Twin Flats.'sad smiley

Monte 45 June 30, 2019 06:36PM

Re: smiling smileyBumping the WTHO question back to the top.

Digstrashtomuch 70 June 29, 2019 12:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018