Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Comments for you, Randy.

July 21, 2019 07:34AM avatar
Hombre
Good post Monte....

We have similar tastes in metal detectors which I noticed about 10 years ago at the Finds Treasure Forum. Those 2 forums 'were' the then popular Tesoro and White's forums. These forums were dropped by Gary, the owner of Finds Mall because the 2 companies quit paying the ransom fees to advertise there....
'Thank You,' and I agree about some of the better older forums that used to have more "common sense" activity compared with so much today aimed at 'depth,' -- 'depth, -- 'depth' and often less about actual in-the-field performance. It's more about extra adjustment features, and by 'extra' I mean more than most folks really need or understand.

It was sad to see Finds Treasure Forums drop Tesoro and White's all because of $$$

Hombre
I have batteries installed in the following metal detectors:
I have batteries installed in EVERY detector I own, full-time. Those include the 'Specialty-Use' models and even the old TR and TR-Disc. units I use in seminars and group discussions. All of them are hanging on my den wall unless being checked out (quite often) or used for their purposes. The others I have are my Regular-Use Detector Team and they are in my vehicle, or duplicates (a Nokta CoRe, Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX) that are also in my den.

I even have fresh batteries in the very-good to 'as-new' condition models that I am selling. For me, detectors are all ready-to-use or are handled often so I never have batteries sit dormant and drain or die off.

Hombre
Tesoro: INCA with the 8 inch brown coil, this set up hates small iron and I can tell by audio when I need a different machine to tackle the more heavily iron infested locations.
As most know, this was the model that got me switched over to using my favorite Tesoro brand models. The main limiting design feature was, like most typical models back then, that it had too much low-conductive, non-ferrous rejection. But worked great on accepted, non-ferrous targets.

Hombre
Tesoro: original Bandido with the 7 inch Troy Shadow X-2 coil, this set up can handle some very dense iron nail infestation but stumbles in the small rusty iron tin.
A very good detector and coil combination, and the start of the improved circuitry design as it introduced the ED-120 Discrimination circuitry (Jack's term) to properly describe the expanded lower-acceptance range which made it better for finding thin gold rings, gold chains, and other desired non-ferrous and low-conductivity targets.thumbs up

Hombre
White's: MX-7 with the SIX SHOOTER coil, using the Coin & Jewelry program with 4 tones does well on higher conductivity coins above nickels, really hot on early wheats and silver dimes.. however, clad is about all I find nowadays......
It's my opinion that as of today, or really going back to late 2017 when I drove over and bought my first MX-7, it is the best general-purpose detector in White's current detector line-up. I found the MX-7 to be a good performer on the entire range of US cons, including the lower-conductive 5¢ or 'Nickel' coins. I do miss those days of higher silver and other older coin production, but the good keepers are still out there, just tougher to find.

Hombre
White's: MX-5 with the small 5.3 Eclipse coil, now on loan to a friend just starting out in the sport, yes he is finding some neat stuff with it.
Another very good model, and I/we all commend you for helping out a friend get started in this great outdoor sport, and doing so with a proven performer and not a lower-end / lower-cost detector that are usually poor performers and quite a let-down compared to the other models you own.

Hombre
Nokta: Fors Relic, this is new to me and I am in the process of learning it, seems like a good all around metal detector and is good in the iron nails even with the large 11X7 DD.

I am using both the DI2 and DI3, each has their own strengths and weaknesses... currently have the following machines.
Learn it well. I've been enjoying the Nokta FORS Relic since I started working with the first prototype in January of 2016, and it is still my main-use detector, with the 5" DD coil, for tackling the very dense iron debris ghost towns and other sites I enjoy hunting. It is my constant-travel device when headed to ANY sites with a potential for a lot of nails and other ferrous debris. Our remaining USA detector manufacturers have a ways to go to match the Relic's build quality, as well as functional performance in challenging sites, and I also prefer the standard Di2 and Di3 modes (aka 2-Tone and 3-Tone), and in open areas with sparse masking debris I also make use of the 2-Tone 'Deep' mode.

Glad to see you're enjoying some of the best on the market today along with some well-proven performers from the past.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 3 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Often-Asked Questions: What Brand? Which Model? Which Coils? .. and I can't forget 'Why?

Monte 204 July 18, 2019 05:06PM

I have been using the following metal detectors and associated coilssmiling bouncing smiley

Hombre 175 July 20, 2019 01:39PM

Comments for you, Randy.

Monte 111 July 21, 2019 07:34AM

Re: I have been using the following metal detectors and associated coilssmiling bouncing smiley

D&P-OR 138 July 20, 2019 06:48PM

Hi Del, I'm a regular packratthumbs up

Hombre 148 July 20, 2019 08:57PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018