Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

By request: How my set of detectors handle 'on-edge' coins.

July 21, 2019 08:39AM avatar
I had a call from 'Hombre' late yesterday and in our discussion he mentioned detector responses to coins 'On-Edge', how some units do not do well on sweeping them lengthwise even though they get a good hit with a double-beep when sweeping crossways. That came up because some folks have an issue with finding 'on-edge' coins with some detectors on the market. And, since he hasn't used and XP ORX and I have one, he asked if it will hit a US Quarter 'On-Edge' both crosswise and lengthwise if the coin is buried 'On-Edge' near the surface of the ground.

Well, I was tired and had a few things to get to but soon fell asleep, so I held off until this morning. The main reason was because it sparked my curiosity of how ALL of my Regular-Use Detectors might handle this comparison side-by-side. I used both the Quarter, since it is the largest of the most-used coins in circulation today, as well as a Dime because it represents the smallest-sized current US coin in use.

I pressed them in the lawn beside my driveway so I could grab the different detectors out of my vehicle to compare performance.

Here are the detectors and mounted coils that travel with me and how they compared:

Fisher F-44 w/7" Concentric
Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD
Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD
Teknetics w/7" Concentric
Tesoro Bandido II µMAX w/6" Concentric
White's XLT w/6½" Concentric
XP ORX w/5X9½ DD

Using a direct sweep of the coins with the center-axis of the coil, here are the results:

Dime and Quarter US coins ... 'On-Edge' ... swept Crosswise: ALL of them produced a good response.

Dime and Quarter US coins ... 'On-Edge' ... swept Lengthwise: ALL of them produced a good response.

Which of the above detector and coil combinations did the best? A question some people might wonder about, I'm sure, but it would depend on our hearing and how we each might interpret a signal response. It would also depend upon the Tone ID being used, so I can tell you that ALL models I use can provide me with a dig-worthy response sweeping the coins either direction just as I have them programmed and saved for start-up.

That said, I preferred the audio response of the CoRe and Relic in 2-Tone over 3-Tone, and that's simply due to audio clarity since 3-Tone's design can give the 'blended' tone response on a lengthwise sweep.

The XLT worked fine in Tone ID I use, but again was a little 'cleaner,' if you will, with Tone ID turned 'Off.'

The Omega did fine in the default 3-Tone, but 2-Tone was maybe, for some, a bit cleaner. The F-44 has default tone modes, with up to 4-Tones, in the default programs, and my Custom program uses 3-Tones. I checked them all and they worked fine just as they are.

The Tesoro's are a single-tone design and the audio responses were also very clean.

Finally came the ORX Hombre wondered about, and it is a default 3-Tone in the Coin programs. My custom program at turn-on, "User Coin," is essentially the Coin Deep default that I then modified with a Sensitivity of '99' but I left the Disc. at '7', Frequency at '14.4' kHz, and Reactivity at '2'. I tried other setting adjustments with a number of sample targets and then took it afield to some challenging places and found that an increased Reactivity caused me to loose targets (not make a good hit). The only setting I might change after a bit more experimenting is Discrimination.

The Disc. adjustment doesn't serve a purpose simply for rejecting a target (although you can turn that audio response 'Off,') but it is also setting the Low-Tone (also called Iron Audio Tone) break-point. A Disc. Level. setting of '7' is generally enough to include most iron nails, but in some problem areas I might need to increase the Disc. Level & Tone Break Level setting to '9'. I very seldom ever increase rejection to the Ferrous / Non-Ferrous break on any detector.

The only things I might try and check later will be changing the operating Frequency on the ORX, and then using the 4" Concentric and 5" DD coils on the F-44 and Omega 8000 to s how smaller coils will work on hem.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

By request: How my set of detectors handle 'on-edge' coins.

Monte 238 July 21, 2019 08:39AM

Diggin' those 'on-edge' coins. Both shallow and deep. thumbs up N/T

UtahRich 99 July 25, 2019 01:54AM

"... and deep?" - - Rich, I was waiting for your comments regarding "at depth."

Monte 136 July 27, 2019 08:56AM

Nothing to add. N/T

UtahRich 83 July 28, 2019 01:06AM

Re: A little to add.

Remfire 146 July 28, 2019 09:33AM

Things happen! ... Even at 4" deep.

Monte 98 July 28, 2019 12:58PM

Thanks for the reply Monte!

Hombre 142 July 21, 2019 08:08PM

Re: Thanks for the reply Monte!

Remfire 92 July 24, 2019 10:47PM

Thanks for your reply Remfire..

Hombre 119 July 25, 2019 07:36AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018