Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Things happen! ... Even at 4" deep.

July 28, 2019 12:58PM avatar
Remfire
By coincidence I found an “on edge” coin on Friday. Generally, I can’t tell the orientation of the coins I find because our soil is so sandy they don’t come out in a plug.
Most of the sites I hunt, at many locations, I deal with loose, uncompactable soil so I also don't get a nice-and-proper plug.

Remfire
I found a shady park to hunt for the last of my 100 coins this month and dug what I thought was going to be a dime. About 4” down in the side of hole was a zinc penny oriented almost vertically. I assume it read high because of the lack of profile and because it was deeper than many coins I find in parks.
1st.. Congrats on hitting your hundredth coin for the month. smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

2nd.. That 4" deep Zinc 1¢, in an almost 'on-edge' orientation is usually going to be a more difficult find, especially if swept at a bad angle. Glad you made the find, even if it wasn't a 10¢ piece. High VDI readings can be caused by many variables, but one might be associated with the coin's position as a smaller/thinner target that would be weaker for the located depth, plus the ground and ??? A dig-worthy signal and that's the important thing.

And I know in a lot of parks a coin at 4" or more is deeper than most, or many, of the coins found.

Remfire
I was using a Deus with the 5x9 elliptical coil and factory program #2.
I don't know the settings used or what program '#2' default is on the Deus, but I do know I enjoy the ORX in the XP family, and I really like their excellent 5X9½ HF DD coil.thumbs up It has been handling most site environments just fine, and the handling, feel and balance is just as comfortable as the performance is.

This detector & coil combination is a great companion for my Relic and CoRe for all-purpose hunting. Matter-of-fact, they and my other devices are loaded and we're heading out now to hopefully chance upon someplace fun to hunt over the next two or three days.

Best of success to you,

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Racer 2 and Simplex+ .. Teknetics: T2+
Tesoro: Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX .. White's modified IDX Pro .. XP: ORX
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

By request: How my set of detectors handle 'on-edge' coins.

Monte 236 July 21, 2019 08:39AM

Diggin' those 'on-edge' coins. Both shallow and deep. thumbs up N/T

UtahRich 97 July 25, 2019 01:54AM

"... and deep?" - - Rich, I was waiting for your comments regarding "at depth."

Monte 135 July 27, 2019 08:56AM

Nothing to add. N/T

UtahRich 81 July 28, 2019 01:06AM

Re: A little to add.

Remfire 144 July 28, 2019 09:33AM

Things happen! ... Even at 4" deep.

Monte 94 July 28, 2019 12:58PM

Thanks for the reply Monte!

Hombre 139 July 21, 2019 08:08PM

Re: Thanks for the reply Monte!

Remfire 90 July 24, 2019 10:47PM

Thanks for your reply Remfire..

Hombre 116 July 25, 2019 07:36AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018